Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

For sale is an essentially brand new H3DII-39. I bought this wonderful system just one month ago and have done only indoor product shots so far. I would guess there may be 300 shutter clicks.

So why am I selling this? Well as a hobbyist I have simply spent more money than I can afford (given I get no sales as a result). I love the camera, its ergonomics, quality of files and of course the very fine AF HC lenses. With the included V to H adapter you are able to use all Hasselblad V lenses as well.

I am going to go back to the new CFV II back which i can shoot with the 503, my older 501 and my (now being modified) 203FE. At $12,995 this is more in line with what my hobbyist use dictates. I will of course be keeping all of my V lenses for this system

What is for sale is as follows:

The H3DII-39 Package $42995

80 MM 2.8 standard lens Included in H3 Package

The magnificent new 28MM digital lens $4115

V to HC Adapter $1024

H system wrist support strap $41

Flash module for Metz 54 $176

Total list price for all above $48,432

My price to you for all above $38832

As you can see, this is a 20% discount from list for a one month old gem. I have not sent in any warranty papers so you can do that for yourself.

This is a deal you will not likely see again. Plus, my understanding is that if you want the new 50Mpx you can do a straight trade for the difference in list price between the 39Mpx back and the 50 Mpx back.

Let's hear from you folks. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a truly top of the line system from Hasselblad.

Woody

PS If you want photos I will create them and send to you but just go to Hasselbladusa.com and the product photos you see there are identical to the condition of this also new camera.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

OMG !!!!!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    OMG !!!!!!!!
    That was my reaction. But I do remember reading a wistful thread earlier in the week about the original back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow Woody, it sounds like you found the bottom of that slippery slope and came to the realization that the system is way overkill for a hobbyist's needs (notice I didn't say desires). It is easy to get sucked into the ever growing reach for better and better image quality and resolution only to realize after the fact that one went too far down the path for their intended purpose. Good luck with your sale.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's pretty clear to me what happened with Woody. He violated the cardinal rule of MFDB owners and, no, it's not buying without doing your homework or anything obvious like that. You NEVER, and I mean NEVER, add up what you have invested in these systems. If you find yourself doing that.. stop immediately and read some lens or other gear reviews to put you in a better frame of mind. Think about how much more flexible your kit would be with a tilt shift lens, or some extension tubes, or some new lighting. If that doesn't work open a bottle of wine, have a few glasses, and try it again

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

Forgive my inquiry...is this the MS or single H3DII 39 camera?

Thanks,

Bob Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Woody,

Forgive my inquiry...is this the MS or single H3DII 39 camera?

Thanks,

Bob Moore
    Doc

I made a real mistake here. I used B&H to get list prices and ended up mistakenly using the MS price. The correct list price for standard H3DII-39 is $34,995.

I don't know how to correct a listing once posted but let me say to all that the price will be reduced to reflect the non-MS back and the discount will remain at 20%

Sorry for the confusion and my mistakes.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

O.K folks.

After correcting for my error regarding the MS back price mistake, the total price after discount for this system is $30,832, not $38,832.

Too much adrenaline flowing over this whole experience. Maybe I am just overreacting to the current economy and the fact that this is a hobby, not a way of life. In any event, 20% off is still a wonderful deal so hopefully, if anyone is interested in this system, jump on it. Otherwise the sage David K may end up being right and i will still own the system but with a new TS capability LOL

Thanks for understanding the human error

Woody

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

No apologies necessary! This is indeed a very emotional issue...I have had multiple second thoughts after changing from my P20 on Hassy H2 for the H3D II 39. Mine was the result of trading off and selling over 30 years accumulation of equipment. I do love the new files but have to say that fatboy pixels may still reign supreme.

I only pointed out the question as I felt that you would lose potential interest if there were indeed a mistake in the valuation of the equipment. I do wish you the best for the sale will keep a close eye on it as I may weaken and put mine up after yours closes. I will probably move back to a larger Hasselblad scanner and start staining the sink again with silver.

Best regards,

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Woody, I feel a touch of remorse for advising you when you asked. Had I known more of your current state of mind I would have advised otherwise.

Best to you on your sale.

Bob, that tinge of nostalgia has bitten me also. I already secured an Imacon 949 some time ago, and return to film from time-to-time. In all my dealings with Hasselblad H gear, I ended up with bits and pieces left over ... so I recently got a H2F body ... and had so much fun with it recently I was giddy. I shipped the rolls off to a lab and probably won't see them for a couple of weeks. Refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Oh Woody, I feel a touch of remorse for advising you when you asked. Had I known more of your current state of mind I would have advised otherwise.

Best to you on your sale.

Bob, that tinge of nostalgia has bitten me also. I already secured an Imacon 949 some time ago, and return to film from time-to-time. In all my dealings with Hasselblad H gear, I ended up with bits and pieces left over ... so I recently got a H2F body ... and had so much fun with it recently I was giddy. I shipped the rolls off to a lab and probably won't see them for a couple of weeks. Refreshing.
    Marc

You owe no apologies as my decision to buy the Hassy system was purely my own. I did not rely on anyone else"s position except to compare the Hassy to Phase, Leaf et al. In the end I will probably withdraw the offer to sell as I love the Hassy system I have and will continue to love and use. I think my whole issue was determining the use of such an expensive system for simply a hobby instead of a business venture and thus having such an expensive system committed to a fun thing. But I also love me and having this for my own pleasure is O.K.

Thankss for all the comments and your insights. I will keep the system and worry about the consequences later.

Much appreciated

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Marc

You owe no apologies as my decision to buy the Hassy system was purely my own. I did not rely on anyone else"s position except to compare the Hassy to Phase, Leaf et al. In the end I will probably withdraw the offer to sell as I love the Hassy system I have and will continue to love and use. I think my whole issue was determining the use of such an expensive system for simply a hobby instead of a business venture and thus having such an expensive system committed to a fun thing. But I also love me and having this for my own pleasure is O.K.

Thankss for all the comments and your insights. I will keep the system and worry about the consequences later.

Much appreciated

Woody
    Woody, did you ever think to sell some photography? A hobby can often become a second career ... perhaps one you would love as much as the first ... and maybe even more. And what's most interesting is that it infuses both you and the gear with purpose.

I'd be delighted to share some thoughts on that subject.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly what Marc said above! You could divert your attention just a bit elsewhere as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Exactly what Marc said above! You could divert your attention just a bit elsewhere as well.
    Right on

There are other ways to infuse purpose also. Maybe start by volunteering photo services to those in need.

I have done many photos that I donated to charity auctions, and shot a few weddings for couples that could never have paid my fee (not that I'm recommending shooting weddings, mind you). One of the most important things I've done was to record designated landmarks for our local Historical Society ... which I had to do with a my high meg H3D/39.

For paying jobs I've done environmental location portraits using the big meg cameras ... one was for couple who were died-in-the-wool Tiger Baseball fans ... a W/A shot of them in front of Commerica Park showing the whole stadium behind them ... which they had printed 6' wide for their family room ... LOL! No 35 mm or even the CFV would have delivered those results.

Some paying gigs can be quite odd. Last year I spent the whole year recording a landmark cemetery through the change of seasons. I could come and go when I wanted and it wasn't as creepy as one would think ... the place was beautiful. That one job alone almost paid for the H3D/31 ... and as wierd as it may seem, I still go there to shoot ... they have the largest display of tulips in our area including many very rare ones.

Sorry, I'm rambling ... but I just LOVE doing this stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right on

There are other ways to infuse purpose also. Maybe start by volunteering photo services to those in need.

I have done many photos that I donated to charity auctions, and shot a few weddings for couples that could never have paid my fee (not that I'm recommending shooting weddings, mind you). One of the most important things I've done was to record designated landmarks for our local Historical Society ... which I had to do with a my high meg H3D/39.

For paying jobs I've done environmental location portraits using the big meg cameras ... one was for couple who were died-in-the-wool Tiger Baseball fans ... a W/A shot of them in front of Commerica Park showing the whole stadium behind them ... which they had printed 6' wide for their family room ... LOL! No 35 mm or even the CFV would have delivered those results.

Some paying gigs can be quite odd. Last year I spent the whole year recording a landmark cemetery through the change of seasons. I could come and go when I wanted and it wasn't as creepy as one would think ... the place was beautiful. That one job alone almost paid for the H3D/31 ... and as wierd as it may seem, I still go there to shoot ... they have the largest display of tulips in our area including many very rare ones.

Sorry, I'm rambling ... but I just LOVE doing this stuff
    Guys

These are wonderful thoughts. Even if there is not SERIOUS income from the endeavor at least it allows me to depreciate my investment in cameras which is very significant at these levels.

I will truly give this serious thought. I need some additional outlets for my energy anyway so this may be the ticket.

Thanks for caring guys. It means a great deal to me

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know it is a huge investment for a camera system, but so is a nice boat, sports car, or just about any other toy which gives one pleasure and rewards their years of hard work. If you can afford to keep it, then there is no reason to feel guilty about it. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it from you before you had a chance to change your mind. I am a hobbyist just like you, but photography gives me pleasure much like boating gives someone else pleasure - nothing wrong with that.

Mark

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    I believe you have gotten some sound advice here. For much the same reasons I am trying to do the same thing here in Florida. I just got back from a meeting with the owner of a local dance/acting studio (pretty good size... around 650 kids/students) to explore the possibility of expanding his operation to include some modeling and photography workshops which I would oversee. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you off line for whatever they may be worth. Even if this gets off the ground I doubt it will put my kids thru college but it would provide a focal point around which to pursue my passion for photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

Some nice advice here. Unlike many, you have the advantage (being retired IIRC), that you as much as you don't 'need' the 39 as a hobbyist, you could afford to buy it and it doesn't have to pay the bills and keep food on the table.

You just need the 39 (or any gear) to bring in enough to allow you to legally depreciate it and have your hobby (even partially) fund itself. Anything else, if you even want to push for more, is gravy. With digital and the advent of web commerce, the ability to illustrate your work to a large audience and maybe derive a modest income stream accordingly is unparalleled.

Little harm in hitting the 'hold' button on the sale and avoiding gelling the loss while you explore other options first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, here's another side of the same "you should keep it" coin...

You already paid for it and regardless of whether or not you monetize it, it wasn't a purchase that's going to negatively affect your lifestyle (). I submit that since you are already willing to take a 20% hit on a $40K investment, why not wait another year to decide when at worst case you may only take a slightly larger hit? (Heck, it may do better than a stock portfolio!) At least you'd have had the opportunity to use and enjoy a wonderful piece of gear.

My .02,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to Mark, Marc, Jack, David and all the others who have offered sage advice.

I am withdrawing the system from sale. Jack, if you would do the honors, please delete this thread.

You are right of course about just getting over the fact that I own a new "toy" which is quite expensive and the very practical side of me got out of hand. I deserve to treat myself to such a fine piece of photographic excellence and thus I will keep it.

Now the next thing is to properly use it and by properly I mean to some purpose! I am already doing pro bono work for my daughter shooting her hand dyed yarn in her new business. (www.shivayanaturals.com) She should have the site up with over 500 different yarns photographed in about two weeks. I am anxiously awaiting the lighting workshop in Miami as I am really a novice for this kind of photography. I also need some additional equipment (see Marc Williams setup) to get product shots done right.

Next I want to explore what other kind of work I can do to help others. I love the ideas already put forward by David K and Fotografz and will spend time with them personally to get ideas on how i can participate. I live in a town with a 60,000 person university (Colorado State) and surely they have many needs I could help fulfill.

So i have gone from being a bit depressed about spending so much money on a hobby to a potential life style change! How's that for a couple of days of gaining insight from all the really smart people who populate this forum.

Again many thanks to all. I 'll keep you posted as I progress from a lazy old man to a vital person once again.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Woody
    If you like it, and you can afford it, then you should have it.
    I'm also a hobbyist (hate that word). But I do a little paid work, just enough to convince the tax man that the equipment is tax deductable (and what a difference that makes). It also adds a little discipline, and, for me, teaches how much I wouldn't like to do it full time!

I've eschewed the MF bit. Mr Gadget in me would dearly love a HD39, but Mr Sensible understands that Mr Photographer wouldn't take better pictures with it! (even though Mrs Slack is very understanding).

Having read this thread I'm feeling better about collecting my D700 next week!

Now you've been through this experience you can really enjoy it.

Just this guy you know

S.P.

Exclamation Re: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

Im not sure if you can stand the truth but I want to tell you my point of view.

You started with your hobby photography with a lot of fun but then you met a some people who are just talking about equipment all day and night long.

At first it has to be LEICA then NIKON, then adapting ZEISS-lenses to CANON.
    In the end the only piece of equipment which is better in a technical way was a digital medium format back.

Now you had it all and you see that spending 10.000 of $s is not giving you more creativity.

I think the best would be going back to the roots, selling all this crazy stuff and buying a good consumer camera with two lenses.

I recommend 35mm and 85mm and a small fullframe camera (5D or D700).

With this equipment you can take 90% of all pictures in the world.
    This will open your eyes.
    Watch the natural light and take a picture only if its perfect.

Work on your creativity, not on your equipment.

Best, Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

when we talk about others, we tell about ourselves

who I am ?
    well, personally I'm with Stefan on this ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    when we talk about others, we tell about ourselves

who I am ?
    well, personally I'm with Stefan on this ...
    Personally I'm with Stefan on this too . . . . and I agree with you Steen. But I don't see that it needs to be true for Woody as well

So, it seems that Stefan and Bondo and Jono are the little camera guys

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    Im not sure if you can stand the truth but I want to tell you my point of view.

Best, Stefan
    I love how a "point-of-view" is the "TRUTH" ... LOL!

Stefan, you are being extravagant ... you don't NEED a 5D or D700 and two lenses to be creative. HCB did it with a rangefinder, slow film and one lens.

IMO, there is a huge difference between "Need" and "Want" ... we only need a piece of fur and a lean-to to keep warm ... and a bite of raw Woolly Mammoth to stay alive. However, we "Want" more ... we want Emeril to cook the Woolly Mammoth and serve it with a nice wine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan, Do you really use that Olympus Product O that is your avatar?

S.P.

I love how a "point-of-view" is the "TRUTH" ... LOL!

Stefan, you are being extravagant ... you don't NEED a 5D or D700 and two lenses to be creative. HCB did it with a rangefinder, slow film and one lens.

IMO, there is a huge difference between "Need" and "Want" ... we only need a piece of fur and a lean-to to keep warm ... and a bite of raw Woolly Mammoth to stay alive. However, we "Want" more ... we want Emeril to cook the Woolly Mammoth and serve it with a nice wine
    O.k. Only ONE camera and ONE lens (50mm)!

S.P.

Stefan, Do you really use that Olympus Product O that is your avatar?
    From time to time, but not so much the last months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    [snip] I agree with you Steen. But I don't see that it needs to be true for Woody as well [snip]
    exactly ! - it doesn't
    which btw. was what I was trying to say

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    exactly ! - it doesn't
    which btw. was what I was trying to say
    I expect you did it excellently . . . . . but I'm pretty stupid!

and Marc - I quite agree with you - what you want is what you should have . . . as long as it doesn't conflict with what you can achieve

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan, your post reminds me of Jack Nicholson's line in the movie A Few Good Men... "You can't handle the truth..." There's no question that there's something to be said for a stripped down kit if focusing on creativity is your goal. However, let's not forget the pleasure that so many of us get from the gear and learning how to use it to best advantage. I recently sold a Leica Noct to a collector in China who has no intention of using it... ever. I took his money, shrugged my shoulders and said "to each his own". I suspect that you may see a gear head like me in much the same light but I really do think there's a difference. The challenge of learning how to use a new camera, and use it well (in my case the Hy6) is very much a part of what I love about photography. Comparing the rendering of different lenses and different MF backs is something I find interesting and fascinating. Using Zeiss lenses on my Canon camera, using Hasselblad lenses on my Nikon and Contax cameras, all of this stuff is simply great fun for a lot of us. I'll wager that in a few months Woody will wonder what he was thinking when he posted his kit for sale. He'll play with the lower resolution, fat boy pixel back and compare it to his 39MP kit, discover the strengths and weaknesses of each, choose the best of the two for the task at hand and pretty soon (after the lighting workshop) he'll be turning out product shots to rival anybody's. As far as the money goes... do what I do, stick your head in the sand and pretend your an ostrich

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Stefan, your post reminds me of Jack Nicholson's line in the movie A Few Good Men... "You can't handle the truth..." There's no question that there's something to be said for a stripped down kit if focusing on creativity is your goal. However, let's not forget the pleasure that so many of us get from the gear and learning how to use it to best advantage. I recently sold a Leica Noct to a collector in China who has no intention of using it... ever. I took his money, shrugged my shoulders and said "to each his own". I suspect that you may see a gear head like me in much the same light but I really do think there's a difference. The challenge of learning how to use a new camera, and use it well (in my case the Hy6) is very much a part of what I love about photography. Comparing the rendering of different lenses and different MF backs is something I find interesting and fascinating. Using Zeiss lenses on my Canon camera, using Hasselblad lenses on my Nikon and Contax cameras, all of this stuff is simply great fun for a lot of us. I'll wager that in a few months Woody will wonder what he was thinking when he posted his kit for sale. He'll play with the lower resolution, fat boy pixel back and compare it to his 39MP kit, discover the strengths and weaknesses of each, choose the best of the two for the task at hand and pretty soon (after the lighting workshop) he'll be turning out product shots to rival anybody's. As far as the money goes... do what I do, stick your head in the sand and pretend your an ostrich
    Exactly. Plus, if one works his or her *** off all their life giving to everyone around them selflessly (read: 2 kids through expensive schools as my example), what sweat is it off someone else's rump if Woody or anyone else rewards themselves with something THEY want for a change?

My response to the "little type face" folks:

Personally, I've never equated creativity with price or amount of gear. On the other hand, the implication that better gear stiffles creativity is also nonsense.

In fact, per David's post, stuff that intrigues you and spurs you on to master it is part of the fun and motivation. My buddy had the best retort to this kind of thing when this middle class, midwestern lad was agonizing over buying some expensive gear ... "it's what we do."

I just ordered 10K worth of lighting. I guess I could've bought a Maglite and used more creativity ... but I'm just lazy I guess.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maglite? Think candle.

More creative!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow guys. It is now this thread that is becoming fun.

We should get a psychiatrist to review all these points of view and comment on what it all means.

On a serious note I have learned much, both from you guys and through looking into my own mind and heart as to what is important.......FOR ME! And SP I can handle the truth or a point of view, whichever is intended and real. I think it would be very helpful to take out my M3 and one or two lenses for a month and see what "lights me up" as a result. I suspect it will be a really fun exercise that gets me back to images instead of gear.

However, having said that, I also concur with David K about the fun of seeing what new gear, with exotic capabilities does for your work. Again, remember that I am a hobbyist fundamentally so having fun with all of this is not beside the point, it is the point!

I think that in the end I had gotten so consumed with the gear that it was getting in the way of my work. So my short term exercise is going to be the H3DII-39, with the little 100 2.2 lens and see what images emerge. This is just as valid as taking the GRD II or the M3 and 50 lux pre-asph but the images "seen" when using the various instruments may well be different. We'll see.

Again I think this has turned into a very fun thread with lots of valid perspectives about image making, and lots of very smart folks speaking their minds.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post

I am withdrawing the system from sale. Jack, if you would do the honors, please delete this thread.
    Delete it? Heck, I'm considering making it a permanent sticky!

We'll retitle it to "Important: Read this thread before listing a beloved piece of equipment here!"

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maglite? Think candle.

More creative!
    Yeah, even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post

We'll retitle it to "Important: Read this thread before listing a beloved piece of equipment here!"

It's your forum mate. If you think that would be helpful to a future generation of expensive gear hounds, then go for it.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Or read before buying....

Post Thanks / Like

i'm for anything that changes one's life for the better! especially if you can't afford it.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW - I go away for some business for a few days and come back to a thread like this!...I am so glad Jack put his point of view to you - you have just avoided a seriously bad case of WHIPLASH my friend.

Other's advice regarding doing some project work - paid or not is excellent.

Phew!

I just dropped my M8 onto a concrete pavement smashed the 35 lux i bought from you as well as the M8 itself - rangefinder totally stuffed, framelines stuffed top smashed in camera ..totaled - I laughed...I was glad I got a few precious shots of her with her father and my daughter having breakfast in a hippy joint in Canberra this morning!..

As my good wife said - that is the camera you used the most - and if you didnt use it it wouldn't have broken - so just get another one if you want to..

yeah she is a good girl - and no I dont think i will get 'another one'..but I figure the $10K I just totaled was money well spent.
    Pete.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Or read before buying....
    Actually, there IS some wisdom in this as a cautionary tale.

While I do not agree that the reason NOT to buy this very expensive MF digital equipment is that it somehow affects creativity ... there are considerations to be made before entering the "arms race" that permeates the category. This is not the same cost as 35mm digital leap frogs in technology.

If you delight in having the biggest and baddest MFD gear without a ROI, you WILL go broke at some point unless you have endless discretionary wealth.

IMO, you just can't bring a truck driver's appetite to the gourmet MFD restaurant. And this forum IS the restaurant ... where ALL of it is displayed in one place ... with advocates for each one, and beautiful results displayed daily.

Personally, when some new MFD development strikes my fancy, and I rationally know that I really don't need it, I sometimes bleed the desire by adding to my studio capabilities. First off, it eliminates a portion of the investment cash I may have ... making it impossible to get the latest thing announced And lighting tools last in terms of functionality ... I still have lights I bought well over a decade ago that are still in service.

As example, consider that for the price of one exotic MF AF lens for a Hy6, or H3D, or even now some Mamiya 645 digital glass, you can buy a nifty professional lighting kit (not that studio lighting is for everyone, it's just an example.) I'd venture to say that something like this ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Generator.html

Or this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2R_2_Head.html

Or this super deal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Three.html

... may have more of an impact on your photography, provide more new challenges to master, and yield expanded horizons ... than more megs, or yet another lens.

I've personally used every one of the systems listed above, and can assure you they will be around working when my current digital cameras are in the dust bin of history

Just a thought based on experience, and not meant to be a lecture in any way.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    WOW - I go away for some business for a few days and come back to a thread like this!...I am so glad Jack put his point of view to you - you have just avoided a seriously bad case of WHIPLASH my friend.

Phew!

I just dropped my M8 onto a concrete pavement smashed the 35 lux i bought from you as well as the M8 itself - rangefinder totally stuffed, framelines stuffed top smashed in camera ..totaled - I laughed...I was glad I got a few precious shots of her with her father and my daughter having breakfast in a hippy joint in Canberra this morning!..

As my good wife said - that is the camera you used the most - and if you didnt use it it wouldn't have broken - so just get another one if you want to..

yeah she is a good girl - and no I dont think i will get 'another one'..but I figure the $10K I just totaled was money well spent.
    Pete.
    Ouch and double Ouch Peter. That really does suck and you have my condolences...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and no I dont think i will get 'another one'..
    Pete:

Just curious, but if it's the camera you used the most, and if it generated once in a lifetime memories, why on earth would you NOT get another one?

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good question Jack!

If Leica ever bring out a nice full frame M digi - I will consider it as the only thing that bugged me about the M8 was crop factor. In the meantime, will keep shooting Leica M in film as I have a couple of MP bodies - also love shooting film on XPAN.

Tell you the truth - I don't have much interest in 35mm digi land. Sold my Canon and Leica R kits. Gave the D3 to my wife. Nothing against the cameras - just my Hasselblad kit does everything better.

Am thinking about a CFV11 kit - because I want to have a MF film body and I like the files that the fat boy pixel chip delivers- so a nice cheap back up system for around same cost as a new M8 and 35 lux replacement.

Any thoughts Jack?

Pete

Pete:

Just curious, but if it's the camera you used the most, and if it generated once in a lifetime memories, why on earth would you NOT get another one?

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phew!

Pete.
    Wow Peter

Sorry about your luck, especially as to the 35 Lux. This was apparently one of the few that did not have focus problems. Of course you can easily replace the M8 but finding another chrome silver 35 Lux that works correctly may be a lot more difficult.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any thoughts Jack?

Pete
    Here are my thoughts...

I like the look of film, I have a nostalgic connection to it and I love using a view camera with movements. I don't even mind the workflow EXCEPT for the fact that having MF or LF film processed requires a custom lab, and almost all the custom labs have gone out of business, and the few that remain have priced themselves into the realm of artisan services.

That said, I keep a 35mm film scanner and a 35mm film body for when the nostalgic mood hits, and have a few film backs for my Mamiya AFD2 and 3 bodies. But even waiting the day for the one-hour lab to process the roll of 35 eats me up, as does not being able to change ISO or emulsion mid roll. Oh, and let's not forgert chimping (FWIW, I have sold my LF gear because of the time and processing costs.)

In the end, the 100% digital workflow is so convenient it's hard to ignore -- but no doubt, the entry costs can be high. The time-averaged costs are not much different than film though, so my thinking is digital is the way to go for those that can afford paying for it up front. OTOH, if one already has a wet darkroom, loves the medium and wants to continue to shoot it, I say good on them.

Now to you specifically, and you probably know where I'm going... Consider your total TIME investment, or more accurately, the value of it to you. Do you want to spend your free time scanning film, or processing the files you had more time to shoot? You want to shoot film, grab a 35 body or slap a film back on your MF rig.

As re 35 digi. I hear you, I can do everything I need to with MF and no longer own a DSLR either. But for travel or casual family outing shooting, MF is heavy, and I much carrying the tiny M8s and host (or few) of equally tiny lenses. (And the crop is irrelevant to me -- I wouldn't feed the need for a full-frame digi-M myself.) And of course if I still shot sports or wildlife, I'd own a DSLR and some long, fast glass -- but I don't.

Nuff said I suspect and only my .02 ,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your logic is impeccable - ( being such similar thinkers on these matters of utility and time ) - but I feel like a rejected lover - dumped by an accident of fate and time - as well as the dicky Leica shoulder strap slipping and me seeing my M8 fall , crash, and then roll down a flight of concrete steps then over the side on to concrete pavement 10' below. It hurt!

Would it be proper of me to replace her now so soon? Shouldn't I wait for a bigger busted longer legged better shutter and scratch proof glass version to come along? all these thoughts cascading through my battered psyche - hence my current position - likely to change at any time.

However I hear the Siren song of a second digi backcalling - two sisters - CVF11 and P25+ calling to me through the crashing waves of my despair - wanting me to give them a twirl..

with apologies to Homer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your logic is impeccable - ( being such similar thinkers on these matters of utility and time ) - but I feel like a rejected lover - dumped by an accident of fate and time - as well as the dicky Leica shoulder strap slipping and me seeing my M8 fall , crash, and then roll down a flight of concrete steps then over the side on to concrete pavement 10' below. It hurt!

Would it be proper of me to replace her now so soon? Shouldn't I wait for a bigger busted longer legged better shutter and scratch proof glass version to come along? all these thoughts cascading through my battered psyche - hence my current position - likely to change at any time.

However I hear the Siren song of a second digi backcalling - two sisters - CVF11 and P25+ calling to me through the crashing waves of my despair - wanting me to give them a twirl..

with apologies to Homer.
    So buy my M8 I just listed here and wipe away your tears

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am tempted - but you forgot to list details of the 50..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am tempted - but you forgot to list details of the 50..
    See my response in the F/S listing.