The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Leica M9 Titan Kit (new)

N

nightfire

Re: FS: Leica M9 Titan Kit (new)

Has anyone seen anyone really using this kind of camera?
Seal has stated that he uses his M9T on a regular basis. Whether he represents the average M9T owner, I don't know :rolleyes:

Double Negative

Not Available

It seems a lot of people bought these to flip them. There are a LOT on evilBay, pushing $36k or more! I doubt they'll sell; I sure wouldn't buy one on principal alone. Then again, even at this reasonable price I can't buy... ;)

Dannynono

I find myself wondering if my son changed the password to his college fund bank account.

Seriously, that is one beautiful kit. Good luck with the sale.

AGeoJO

Like the OP, even I could afford it, I couldn't bring myself to use that masterpiece, which is why it is probably destined/designed more for collector's item. Good luck with the sale!

Godfrey

It's very pretty, but I prefer the looks of the M9 in the standard black finish. No way I could ever justify the Titan's premium price to myself. A black M9 + Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH already costs $12,000 new ... that's surely enough.

:)

L

Lensless

A black M9 + Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH already costs $12,000 new ... that's surely enough.
It's actually too much.

I have a big time professional need for the very kind of low key shooting that a Leica M is famed for and I found between the M9 and the X100 and if all you ever really shoot is a 35 on an M like I do, the Fuji just buries the M9 at the end of the day in real world, high ISO, discreet shooting all things considered.

Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.

Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame...

Good luck with the sale Silverlight99, you know you are making the right choice and this will sell, you deserve to get all that you spent back.

Last edited:

Araakii

It's actually too much.

Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.

Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame....
Leica is more profitable than all the other big camera companies. There are good and bad photographers for every camera, but that doesn't support the idea that high end cameras like M are irrelevant.

And Hipstamatic makes me sick. I don't care how good the photographer is.

Godfrey

I always find it amusing when people rant about Leica prices.

Leica's been around for a very long time and they keep making fine cameras that sell well, regardless of the price. If the price is higher than you want to pay, don't ... obviously there are less expensive choices in camera gear that also do a great job.

BTW, i don't own a Leica M at present, although I'd like to. Had several M cameras for over thirty years of use, will likely buy another some day as I like working with them every time I touch one. No matter how good a performer it might be, the X100 didn't appeal to me at all once I handled it.

SYGTAFOTO

It's actually too much.

I have a big time professional need for the very kind of low key shooting that a Leica M is famed for and I found between the M9 and the X100 and if all you ever really shoot is a 35 on an M like I do, the 1. Fuji just buries the M9 at the end of the day in real world, high ISO, discreet shooting all things considered.
Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...2. I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.
Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his 3. iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame...
Good luck with the sale Silverlight99, you know you are making the right choice and this will sell, you deserve to get all that you spent back.

Can't help but notice lots of opinions in your reply. I've bolded them.

1. If you are going to say X100 beats M9 in all aspects, we all want some scientific, proven evidence to this statement.
2. Have you looked at Leica's financial statements to make this assumption? I haven't, but have you? Need some evidence to this as well. there are things called supply and demand. If there is enough demand, they will sell even at premium prices. As far as I remember M9T sold out very quickly.
3. You are using the performance of Hipstamatic from one person to the generalize it over a large M9 user base? You need to compare with same scale to make that assessment. Why won't you look at most hipstamatic users to most M9 users? That would be a more accurate comparison. Only then, you'll see yourself making a more convincing conclusion.

Also notice that I spared the "Mediocre" statement. To each his own... but nevertheless, an opinion.

silverlight99

I definitely stay out of these debates, but a few observations. Going from memory, Leica's financial performance is running at (at least) 70% increase year over year top line, stock is up over 60% in the past year, and is an incredibly valuable brand. If there's one thing that's holding the share price back (from even further upside), it's the closely held nature of the ownership (and I think a multi-share class voting structure) which has an impact on breadth of ownership and strategic possibilities for the company. Luxury brands in general in Asia are in such high demand that companies like Porsche, BMW, LVMH, etc. are completely overhauling their corporate strategy. Porsches sell for significant premiums in China and there's a 2-3 year waitlist for a Cayenne for example. All things considered, Leica is quite well positioned in high growth markets and faces a very attractive supply/demand equation (barring a global sovereign debt crisis as global capital risk has shifted from private capital to public capital, which would of course impact discretionary spending...).

As to the Fuji X100, I love it and use it all the time. But it's a VERY different camera to a M9 and doesn't hold a candle to it IMO on IQ, etc. (I acknowledge better photographers - and most of you are - could get much more out of it than I, but with my skill level as a constant the IQ is in a different zip code to me). I have 4 fast moving kids, and during parties or events I love to have the movie mode and great aperture priority auto focus in a light form factor, but if I want photos to maximize my satisfaction on IQ I'll definitely have my M9+a favorite lens like the 50/.95, 35/1.4II, 35 cron v1, etc. around my neck. Can't go wrong with either of course! Amazing tools we are fortunate to have access to from Leica, Fuji, etc.

Last edited:

Rafael Macia

Kodachrome was $7 a roll in the 1930's.
So what is expensive?
It is what it is.

Good Luck with the sale of an incredible camera !

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Okay folks these types of discussions belong in the forum section. NOT in some guys ad. He is trying to sell a item, it is extremely rude to interfere with that sale with OT debates. Lets keep these kinds of discussions in the forum itself where you can bitch and moan all day long about Leica prices , quality or if a executive has his finger up his ***. NOT HERE in the B&S section . THIS IS FOR BUYING AND SELLING PERIOD

This is NOT what we do at GetDPI is interfere with folks sales and buyers purchases . This is just as bad as price policing. It ends NOW

Sharokin

My first leica was an M6 Titanium back in 1996 when I did photo internship at a large metropolitan newspaper in Denver.
The camera was just too damn pretty to use for everyday assignments. I sold it and bought a regular M6 along with an M4P and went on to enjoy shooting the camera until I left the newspaper industry a few years ago.
I still try not to look any Leica's as they are just too tempting.

shaunmlavery

will it blend, that is the question.. ^_^
You know, that stuff usually doesn't bother me one bit, because after all, it's just advertising. If they stuck a leica in there, I have to admit, I would first cringe and then hope the leica would be the one to end the whole "will it blend" series.