Site Sponsors

Thread: SOLD: Leica M9 Titan Kit (new)

Post Thanks / Like

SOLD: Leica M9 Titan Kit (new)

Its with great reluctance I'm looking to sell the M9T Kit I purchased a few months back. While I'd planned to actually use it rather than have it sit in a shelf, couldn't quite bring myself to use a camera of this value (and have since been offered the opportunity to acquire a rare musical instrument I'd really like to play everyday which would be a better use of capital right now). I've taken about 20-30 indoor only test shots with it (very fine handling and lighter weight vs regular M9 is appreciable - the camera body is over 40% lighter than a regular M9). Including a handful of pictures of the camera below. Local inspection is welcomed (NYC, USA). I can also provide references with a couple of the prominent U.S. Leica dealers with whom I've worked who could provide feedback (see also feedback thread here). Comes with all paperwork (warranty card, certificate of authenticity, test certificates for both the body and the lens, Adobe Lightroom license, dealer invoice, hardcover camera manual, hardcover book on history of the camera design). Asking $25,500.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by silverlight99; 2nd June 2011 at 17:45.

dumplinknet

Re: FS: Leica M9 Titan Kit (new)

Lovely camera. Lovely asking price.
    I can only imagine the car of my dreams with that kind of money.

best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was a rich man oh well I am a photographer so good luck very pretty

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can definitely vouch for Silverlight99 - as I sold my Noctilux to him a few months ago - if I was in the market for the M9T, I definitely wouldnt hesitate dealing with him again.

All the best with the sale!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, fancy! If I only...but I don't have the $$$ ;(
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I respect your price.

Post Thanks / Like

If someone from Europe takes a flight to New York, buys the M9 and flys back, (forgets the declaration at customs,) he'll pay below retail!

GLWS
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Thx everyone for the nice comments and PMs. Hopefully a fair price (below my cost), and definitely a better deal in Euro's

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the lens the new 35mm Summilux asaph f1.4? That might be the most attractive part of the package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyHyde View Post
    Is the lens the new 35mm Summilux asaph f1.4? That might be the most attractive part of the package.
    Hi - I was told it was the new version of the lens when I purchased it, but let me just confirm to make sure and will post back (just spoke with someone in Leica in NJ who is checking).
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I did read that it is the new 35mm Summilux (which I have been looking for but can't find). I would love to get the kit and actually use it -it's really a gorgeous kit and nicest camera/lens combo I have ever seen. However, the value and collectibility of the kit would make me nervous. I am outside NYC in CT and trying to resist even the thought of it. Then again, if I sell my M9 and a few lenses.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, just slobbered all over myself. This thread should be marked NSFW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what a beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a confirmation voicemail from Leica NJ that it is indeed the 35 ASPH II model. Thx

dtakias

What an amazing piece of kit. Good luck with the sale!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Think i will cut the images out . Just too damn nice to look at. LOL

Just kidding. Good luck on your sale as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy.... although I only took the photos with a Fuji X100, didn't want to cause unnecessary roughness by using nice Lecia glass

Post Thanks / Like

How much for the lens alone?!

Just keeeeding! Nice package! Too bad I don't have the funds.

Jeff_Gao

Has anyone seen anyone really using this kind of camera? Just the other day, a Leica original O serie was auctioned for near 2 M bucks. Guess you can always invest on Leica!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Gao View Post
    Has anyone seen anyone really using this kind of camera?
    Seal has stated that he uses his M9T on a regular basis. Whether he represents the average M9T owner, I don't know

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm...I was kinda saving up for another ala carte M7 and Nocti .95

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody need a kidney?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems a lot of people bought these to flip them. There are a LOT on evilBay, pushing $36k or more! I doubt they'll sell; I sure wouldn't buy one on principal alone. Then again, even at this reasonable price I can't buy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find myself wondering if my son changed the password to his college fund bank account.

Seriously, that is one beautiful kit. Good luck with the sale.
    condensed gallery: smugmug
    non-condensed gallery:Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Like the OP, even I could afford it, I couldn't bring myself to use that masterpiece, which is why it is probably destined/designed more for collector's item. Good luck with the sale!
    Joshua - M9: Leica-M & Zeiss ZM lenses + Canon DSLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
    Seal has stated that he uses his M9T on a regular basis. Whether he represents the average M9T owner, I don't know
    He uses it, but never walks around without bodyguard

Post Thanks / Like

this only makes this forum more classy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very pretty, but I prefer the looks of the M9 in the standard black finish. No way I could ever justify the Titan's premium price to myself. A black M9 + Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH already costs $12,000 new ... that's surely enough.

:-)

Lensless

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    A black M9 + Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH already costs $12,000 new ... that's surely enough.
    It's actually too much.

I have a big time professional need for the very kind of low key shooting that a Leica M is famed for and I found between the M9 and the X100 and if all you ever really shoot is a 35 on an M like I do, the Fuji just buries the M9 at the end of the day in real world, high ISO, discreet shooting all things considered.

Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.

Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame...

Good luck with the sale Silverlight99, you know you are making the right choice and this will sell, you deserve to get all that you spent back.
    Last edited by Lensless; 3rd June 2011 at 10:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lensless View Post
    It's actually too much.

Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.

Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame....
    Leica is more profitable than all the other big camera companies. There are good and bad photographers for every camera, but that doesn't support the idea that high end cameras like M are irrelevant.

And Hipstamatic makes me sick. I don't care how good the photographer is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I always find it amusing when people rant about Leica prices.

Leica's been around for a very long time and they keep making fine cameras that sell well, regardless of the price. If the price is higher than you want to pay, don't ... obviously there are less expensive choices in camera gear that also do a great job.

BTW, i don't own a Leica M at present, although I'd like to. Had several M cameras for over thirty years of use, will likely buy another some day as I like working with them every time I touch one. No matter how good a performer it might be, the X100 didn't appeal to me at all once I handled it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lensless View Post
    It's actually too much.

I have a big time professional need for the very kind of low key shooting that a Leica M is famed for and I found between the M9 and the X100 and if all you ever really shoot is a 35 on an M like I do, the 1. Fuji just buries the M9 at the end of the day in real world, high ISO, discreet shooting all things considered.
    Leica needs to wake the heck up and stop making cameras that only mediocre "photographers" like Seal can afford...2. I don't care how much they make off of these special editions, in the long run this elitist perception and pricing thing is going to kill the company.
    Former Pulitzer Prize winning White House Press photographer David Kennerly is posting daily photos on Facebook from his 3. iPhone 4 in Hipstamatic that are putting most people's work from the M9 to absolute shame...
    Good luck with the sale Silverlight99, you know you are making the right choice and this will sell, you deserve to get all that you spent back.

Can't help but notice lots of opinions in your reply. I've bolded them.

1. If you are going to say X100 beats M9 in all aspects, we all want some scientific, proven evidence to this statement.
    2. Have you looked at Leica's financial statements to make this assumption? I haven't, but have you? Need some evidence to this as well. there are things called supply and demand. If there is enough demand, they will sell even at premium prices. As far as I remember M9T sold out very quickly.
    3. You are using the performance of Hipstamatic from one person to the generalize it over a large M9 user base? You need to compare with same scale to make that assessment. Why won't you look at most hipstamatic users to most M9 users? That would be a more accurate comparison. Only then, you'll see yourself making a more convincing conclusion.

Also notice that I spared the "Mediocre" statement. To each his own... but nevertheless, an opinion.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely stay out of these debates, but a few observations. Going from memory, Leica's financial performance is running at (at least) 70% increase year over year top line, stock is up over 60% in the past year, and is an incredibly valuable brand. If there's one thing that's holding the share price back (from even further upside), it's the closely held nature of the ownership (and I think a multi-share class voting structure) which has an impact on breadth of ownership and strategic possibilities for the company. Luxury brands in general in Asia are in such high demand that companies like Porsche, BMW, LVMH, etc. are completely overhauling their corporate strategy. Porsches sell for significant premiums in China and there's a 2-3 year waitlist for a Cayenne for example. All things considered, Leica is quite well positioned in high growth markets and faces a very attractive supply/demand equation (barring a global sovereign debt crisis as global capital risk has shifted from private capital to public capital, which would of course impact discretionary spending...).

As to the Fuji X100, I love it and use it all the time. But it's a VERY different camera to a M9 and doesn't hold a candle to it IMO on IQ, etc. (I acknowledge better photographers - and most of you are - could get much more out of it than I, but with my skill level as a constant the IQ is in a different zip code to me). I have 4 fast moving kids, and during parties or events I love to have the movie mode and great aperture priority auto focus in a light form factor, but if I want photos to maximize my satisfaction on IQ I'll definitely have my M9+a favorite lens like the 50/.95, 35/1.4II, 35 cron v1, etc. around my neck. Can't go wrong with either of course! Amazing tools we are fortunate to have access to from Leica, Fuji, etc.
    Last edited by silverlight99; 3rd June 2011 at 15:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Kodachrome was $7 a roll in the 1930's.
    So what is expensive?
    It is what it is.

Good Luck with the sale of an incredible camera !

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay folks these types of discussions belong in the forum section. NOT in some guys ad. He is trying to sell a item, it is extremely rude to interfere with that sale with OT debates. Lets keep these kinds of discussions in the forum itself where you can bitch and moan all day long about Leica prices , quality or if a executive has his finger up his ***. NOT HERE in the B&S section . THIS IS FOR BUYING AND SELLING PERIOD

This is NOT what we do at GetDPI is interfere with folks sales and buyers purchases . This is just as bad as price policing. It ends NOW
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

My first leica was an M6 Titanium back in 1996 when I did photo internship at a large metropolitan newspaper in Denver.
    The camera was just too damn pretty to use for everyday assignments. I sold it and bought a regular M6 along with an M4P and went on to enjoy shooting the camera until I left the newspaper industry a few years ago.
    I still try not to look any Leica's as they are just too tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

will it blend, that is the question.. ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eperet1986 View Post
    will it blend, that is the question.. ^_^
    You know, that stuff usually doesn't bother me one bit, because after all, it's just advertising. If they stuck a leica in there, I have to admit, I would first cringe and then hope the leica would be the one to end the whole "will it blend" series.

Post Thanks / Like

Silverlight - does the leather carry case come with this as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Also, in pic 5, that's not a scratch mark (to the right of the menu button) is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - yes the leather case / shoulder strap comes with the camera, forgot to mention. I have pictures of all the accessory bags which I'll add links to. I don't believe it's a scratch but will confirm tonight and post another picture if helpful.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

In response to requests for more pictures (and to respond to ohdannyboy) here are a few more. There are no marks of any kind anywhere, it was just lint or dust in the last photo of the back of the camera. Took these photos with M9+75Lux so better quality than the pics above. Can send higher res versions if helpful, just PM. Thanks!

tangyoulei

holy... so beautiful

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica should update styling of Ms to this. It is so beautiful!

"How about $500 down and a 36 month contract?" (Firesign Theatre)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Gorgeous! So pretty, it would almost be a shame to pimp it up like your typical M camera.... If only I didn't care about retirement...

Post Thanks / Like

Have had a few enquiries, just wanted to mark the camera as sold.
    Thank you