The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Mamiya 645 AFDIII Body and 80mm f2.8 Sekor D

LarryWomack

It's with some reluctance that I put this camera body and lens up for sale. I purchased them from the original owner approximately two months ago with the intent to replace my 645 AFD and eventually make the move into MFD.

In the intervening time I became enamored with Sony full frame and have begun investing in their G and Zeiss lenses ($$$$$). I no longer want to make the investment in an MFD back for use with the AFDIII. I'd rather get this great body and lens into the hands of some one who can exploit their potential. I'll stick with MF film on my AFD, at least for now.

I want to move this now. The body and lens are both in excellent condition. Hopefully these prices will be attractive enough to do so. I want to keep this deal in the CONUS, but I'm open to AK, HI, and our Canadian friends up north with adjustment in the prices to account for added shipping and PayPal rates where appropriate.

I'm asking $2700 for the body and lens together. Front and rear body caps, front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a B+W UV filter are included. This price includes PayPal and insured shipping within the CONUS. I will split the body and lens if I cannot find a buyer for both. I will listen to all offers, especially those including Sony full frame lenses.

Pictures are available at:

http://gallery.me.com/lawrencewomack/100047

PM me if you need additional, more detailed photos.

Thanks for looking,

Larry Womack

S

sarangiman

Since you have the AFD III body -- I have a question for you. I have the Phase One 645AF body with a film back. Supposed to be the equivalent of the AFD III.

If I leave a newly charged set of AA batteries in there with the camera *off*, they'll pretty much be dead the next day.

Do you have this problem? Phase One said I could send it in but are reluctant to even admit this is a problem...

Thanks,
Rishi

LarryWomack

Since you have the AFD III body -- I have a question for you. I have the Phase One 645AF body with a film back. Supposed to be the equivalent of the AFD III.

If I leave a newly charged set of AA batteries in there with the camera *off*, they'll pretty much be dead the next day.

Do you have this problem? Phase One said I could send it in but are reluctant to even admit this is a problem...

Thanks,
Rishi
Rishi,

I've never experienced this with the AFD III or my AFD.

Methinks you have a live short.

Good luck.

Larry

dogstarnyc

I did... so I called the guys at Capture Integration and they were very knowledgeable and very honest, basically the P1 AF or Mamiya AFD III DOES drain battery power, there is a lot of data between the camera, lens and digital backs and they were squeezing a lot out of a quite dated design. I took there advice and spent $50 on a spare battery holder (never a bad thing) and bought some expensive AA's for it, it sits there ready to 'save' me if I forget to unclip my number 1 grip at night.

FWIW the best of the three bodies WRT to battery drain is the AFD II, it seems never to drain a drop, the old AFD does and sadly the AFD II/P1 AF.

Buy getting a second grip I now use rechargeable's in the first grip and then charge them nightly or before a job...

Steve

LarryWomack

I did... so I called the guys at Capture Integration and they were very knowledgeable and very honest, basically the P1 AF or Mamiya AFD III DOES drain battery power, there is a lot of data between the camera, lens and digital backs and they were squeezing a lot out of a quite dated design. I took there advice and spent $50 on a spare battery holder (never a bad thing) and bought some expensive AA's for it, it sits there ready to 'save' me if I forget to unclip my number 1 grip at night.

FWIW the best of the three bodies WRT to battery drain is the AFD II, it seems never to drain a drop, the old AFD does and sadly the AFD II/P1 AF.

Buy getting a second grip I now use rechargeable's in the first grip and then charge them nightly or before a job...

Steve
Well I'll be darned! I just pulled out my AFD and checked battery status. All looked good.

Maybe my experience is based upon shooting only film, no digital. In fact, most of the time I don't have a film back attached.

BTW, my AFD III and 80mm f2.8 Sekor D are still available. ;)

Larry

kdphotography

When I had the Phase 645AF---I never experienced power/drain issues, and I always left the batteries in the camera. I do remove the MFDB battery though. Like Steve, I think having a second pre-loaded camera battery carriage/holder ready to go is a good idea.

I've been shooting with this body type since the original Mamiya 645AF and AFD through to the current Phase 645DF. I have found that the best batteries to use are the Energizer AA Lithium batteries. They just seem to hold their charge and work better in this camera. "Normal" heavy duty Energizer or Duracells don't hold up as well. The Energizer Lithium AAs run about US$9 for a four-pack---and they are significantly lighter in weight to boot! Use the Energizer Lithiums in the Mamiya/Phase camera bodies and I'm confident you'll appreciate the difference---and significant decrease of power drain issues.

S

sarangiman

I leave my film back (HM401) attached at all times. Is that the problem? It's annoyance to remember to always disconnect the batteries or the film back in between every shoot!

Thanks,
Rishi

S

sarangiman

I also use Maha Powerexes/Imedions rechargeables. They're supposed to be the best in the industry, AFAIK. Is that a problem?

Rishi

S

sarangiman

Hi guys, since I have you here:

I put my ammeter in series with my Phase One 645AF + batteries & found a 27mA continuous draw when the film back is in place. 0mA draw when the film back is detached. Removing the battery from the film back has no effect.

27mA! That's crazy! Assuming linearity, if you have a set of 2700mA-hrs AA batteries in there (pretty much the highest capacity AA you can find), that means they'd all be *fully* drained in 100 hours! Half-drained in 50 hours (2 days)! And since half-drain is enough to lower the voltage so as to fall well below 9v, it's no surprise that my camera dies within a day or two even when off!

Anyone else tech-savvy and want to check the current draw from their bodies? All you have to do is place a multimeter in series with the camera + batteries. I.e. connect a wire from the + terminal in camera to + terminal on battery holder (top of exposed AA battery), then connect - terminal on battery holder (bottom of exposed AA battery) to + terminal on multimeter, then connect - terminal on multimeter to - terminal in camera (alligator clips or leads do the trick just fine). Leave camera in 'locked' position.

I'd be really curious to see the current draw other people experience. I'll start another thread on this.

Thanks,
Rishi

kdphotography

Rishi, you may find other threads on power management elsewhere on the forum---or better yet, start a thread elsewhere as we're taken Larry's thread far OT.

I used the Phase 645AF for about a year (this is the same as Larry's camera) before moving to the DF. I simply did not experience power problems when using the Energizer Lithiums. Larry's camera looks to be in excellent shape and I think his experience is the same--note he removes the HM401.

If you're in the market for a recent generation Phase/Mamiya body (that still can take a filmback!), this is an excellent choice.

ken :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes thanks Ken. Folks take these type of discussions to the forums . This is a Buy and Sell section of the forum so let's keep them to strictly that. Thanks Guy