The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD- Summilux 35 mm f/1.4 pre asph - Titanium (German build)

ashwinrao1

Hi all,
I am testing the waters on selling this lovely lens that I picked up from Adorama Camera last fall and haven't used that much, thanks to my new 35 lux FLE.

Up for sale is my titanium paint 35 mm f/1.4 Summilux pre-asph. To my understanding, this is one of the last batches made of this lens, furthermore, the titanium lens typically came in a kit with a titanium M6. These lenses were manufactured in Germany. My copy is in excellent condition. The only issues that I see are some minimal paint chipping in the inner barrel where one would mount a series 7 filter, and some minimal paint loss in some of the distance scale. Glass is perfect.

I am selling this lens with original box as well. I purchased this lens from Adorama for $3,200 and would like to re-claim my investment. Prices on these lenses, as well as all Leica glass, has gone up, and this lens, due to its low production cycle, is collectible, though I purchased it to use it (and have too many 35's).

Pics to come later, when I get home, unless someone is interested before then. This is a high performing (particularly when stepped down) small f/1.4 lens, known for its unique "glow" wide open (spherical aberration, really) and is a favorite among many talented photogs here....I thought I'd use it, but it's been crowded out by too many other lenses

Thus Sales Price (minus shipping) : $3200
Shipping: typically USPS express or UPS shipping, $50
Total price: $3250

I would only sell within the continental U.S (CONUS only). I accept cashiers/bank checks, or personal checks (would have to clear into my account before I sent it). No Paypal accepted, sorry... I prefer prospective buyers with a buy-sell feedback history, so if you can point me towards some feedback, that'd be great.

ashwinrao1

Re: FS- Summilux 35 mm f/1.4 pre asph - Titanium (German build)

By the way, in case you are wondering, here's a link to pics of the lens (not my copy, but so you know approximately what you'd get (1s and 2nd pic on the page; paint loss around the lens front element is similar on my copy, though a bit less so on mine, I believe); no hood included however, as they are hard to find...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6-Titanium/Summilux35mmf14_Ver1.jpg

By the way, I plan to stay firm on price, as I am really in no hurry to sell,....

Last edited:

bradhusick

Great lens and less than half the price of a 35 lux FLE.
Great seller too. Should sell fast!

T

tangyoulei

Great lens and less than half the price of a 35 lux FLE.
Great seller too. Should sell fast!
is this a price police in the opposite way? LOL... :ROTFL:

rsolti13

Supposedly the 35 Lux preASPH Titanium is sharper wide open than the non-titanium preASPH versions....any truth to that? Not ASPH sharper, but not as much softness and 'glow' as the typical preASPH

horosu

Supposedly the 35 Lux preASPH Titanium is sharper wide open than the non-titanium preASPH versions....any truth to that? Not ASPH sharper, but not as much softness and 'glow' as the typical preASPH[/QUOTET

They're identical. The titanium one, being newer has better coating, though

ashwinrao1

So we have no rules for price boosters?
I am NOT being a price booster here. What I state is correct. This 35 lux is a limited edition titanium build with limited production run (some say 500 units, who knows for sure is Leica), late production run, with newer coatings, otherwise identical in terms of lens elements to prior copies. I have priced this lens accordingly. Please refrain from making these states of price boosting when they are incorrect!!!! If any of you know or review my pricing history for sold gear, you will see that I have offerred lenses at a reasonable, slightly below market price to encourage fast sales (see my x100 sale for a recent example). In this case, I am hoping to reclaim my intial investment in this lens.

Typically, if you go to KEH, excellent copies of this very lens in black (non-special edition, early versions) currrently retail for $2,300-2,400, but they are not a special edition such as this...whose rarity bumps up its price

If you disagree with my statements, please PM me to discuss.

ashwinrao1

Supposedly the 35 Lux preASPH Titanium is sharper wide open than the non-titanium preASPH versions....any truth to that? Not ASPH sharper, but not as much softness and 'glow' as the typical preASPH
Hi Ryan, in my experience, this lens performs comparably to prior late versions of the lens that weren't special editions, though it does have different coatings that were modernized. The lens was produced in the neighborhood of 1995-1996, but the design of this lens dates back to 20-30 years prior, and Leica didn't update the elements during its production cycle, just its coatings.

I am NOT being a price booster here. What I state is correct. This 35 lux is a limited edition titanium build with limited production run (some say 500 units, who knows for sure is Leica), late production run, with newer coatings, otherwise identical in terms of lens elements to prior copies. I have priced this lens accordingly. Please refrain from making these states of price boosting when they are incorrect!!!! If any of you know or review my pricing history for sold gear, you will see that I have offerred lenses at a reasonable, slightly below market price to encourage fast sales (see my x100 sale for a recent example). In this case, I am hoping to reclaim my intial investment in this lens.

Typically, if you go to KEH, excellent copies of this very lens in black (non-special edition, early versions) currrently retail for $2,300-2,400, but they are not a special edition such as this...whose rarity bumps up its price

If you disagree with my statements, please PM me to discuss.
I was not referring you, ashwinrao1. Good luck with your sale!

zombii

I have one of these and it's a beautiful lens with beautiful rendition. A 12526 hood fits it and you can fit a 40.5mm filter in it with a little DYI.

ashwinrao1

Okay, here are some pics of the lens. I tried to highlight the cosmetic defects, paint loss, and it looks supreme in person:

kebebe

Hello Ashwin:

Will take a partial trade? I am selling a shooter M3 single stroke with serial# 1095775 that is good condition but not MINT. The 35mm lens with it is Summicron 35mm with Google Eyes, Box Serial# 2134600 MINT-?

Pls let me know

Kebebe

ashwinrao1

Hi Kebebe,
I saw the thread and camera/lens to which you refer. Looks like a nice set, but I am trying to raise some funds, pay a few bills, etc..thanks for your interest, but I am looking for a sale over a trade.

FYI,
Here are items that I'd consider as part of a trade:

75 summilux f/1.4, so if any of you out there are considering a 35/75 switcheroo, that is an option that I would be interested in.
Either a boxed Mint chrome or boxed mint black paint Leica MP....

Otherwise, I am looking only to sell this lens. Sale price remains at $3250 shipped.

kebebe

I understand. I do have a MINT 75 summilux f1.4 with Box but I love the lens so I am keeping it. Good luck on your sale and I need some luck on mine!

Kebebe

Double Negative

Not Available

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think of pairing up the two Ti bits (M6/35). LOL.

And I'm a complete sucker for Ti stuff... I'm going to look away now. :p

ashwinrao1

Oh, Kebebe, if you change your mind on the 75 lux, let em know...best of luck with your own sale

To Double Neg, the Ti stuff is awesome when paired. Don't look away ;) Lol