Site Sponsors

Thread: FS: Gitzo GT2540EX W/ RRS BH-40 Ball Head.

Jonathan W

FS: Gitzo GT2540EX W/ RRS BH-40 Ball Head.

I've downgraded to something a little simpler so I'd like to get this sold, I recently sold a RRS kit on here to philz. This combo is in great condition as the photo's will represent.

Gitzo GT2540EX, about a year old hardly used.
    Really Right Stuff BH-40 W/ Pano Head also around a year old.

PICS!!!!
    http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8171/gitzo11.jpg
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7434/gitzo12.jpg
    http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5492/gitzo13.jpg
    http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/687/gitzo14.jpg
    http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3262/gitzo15.jpg
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3421/gitzo16.jpg
    http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2328/gitzo17.jpg
    http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9499/gitzo18.jpg
    http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/555/gitzo19.jpg
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9645/gitzo20.jpg

Im asking 950 Shipped for the combo, or best offer.... At the time I'd like to keep it as a set, but will be willing to split if need be.

Please..... No comments on how I need to cut the lawn....

Jonathan W

Re: FS: Gitzo GT2540EX W/ RRS BH-40 Ball Head.

I am willing to take offers as a whole or tripod and head seperatly

Jonathan W

Uppp!

Jonathan W

Bump, Posible local sale on Ball Head!

Jonathan W

Local sale gone, make offer please! Need this gone!!

Jonathan W

Calluses sold, asking 450 Obo for tripod

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent on tripod.

Jonathan W

Both sold!

Post Thanks / Like

Due to lack of response from Jonathan, I have to assume he is not for real and will be filing a complaint with Paypal. I have given him plenty of time to come up with a tracking # and he will not respond. He has been online here several times and has another item on the B&S board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGoldman View Post
    Due to lack of response from Jonathan, I have to assume he is not for real and will be filing a complaint with Paypal. I have given him plenty of time to come up with a tracking # and he will not respond. He has been online here several times and has another item on the B&S board.
    Ron, I understand your anxiety, but there must be some legitimate reason for Jonathan not responding to you. Please give him a little bit more time to explain his side of story.

Jonathan, please respond to your buyer's inquiry, and make this a good transaction. I think I saw you're "logged on" while Ron had posted his complaint.

I have done quite a few transactions in this "Gear FS or WTB" forum without any trouble, hope to keep it that way.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve. He finally sent me a response after I posted this saying he can't find the tracking # and that he didn't want to respond without any more information??? Something just seems wrong here and I have a feeling he never had anything to sell. I could be wrong but his strange actions have set off some red flags. I have given him many opportunities to respond over the last several days but can't get a straight answer. Certainly not the way any of my previous transactions here have been handled and not how I do business myself. It's up to him to to respond now and prove that he has indeed sent the item out. A receipt will have the tracking info on it if he sent it UPS like he claimed. I only posted this info here to let others know that they should hold off on doing business with him until he explains what is going on here.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Another day has gone by with no response. I would think it's pretty obvious to everyone at this point that he is not going to come through. His last activity on here was PM'ing someone else so all I can say is whoever that person was, I hope you are not planning on buying anything from him.
    I filed a complaint with Paypal and of course, they are waiting for him to respond to that. At least his Paypal account is frozen at his point until he can somehow prove that he actually has shipped the tripod but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

same thing for my ball head...

Post Thanks / Like

When did he tell you he shipped that? Did he mysteriously stop all communication once you sent him money?

Post Thanks / Like

received a PM saying the ball head will be sent, that was after the payment
    and nothing ever since

Post Thanks / Like

Seems he has gone completely missing at this point. At least he didn't get a chance to "sell" anything else before I posted this. I am going to ask the moderators to check into his and "philz" ip addresses if they can because I have a feeling they are one and the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, guys. I hope it works out for you. The majority of folks on this board are trustworthy, but sometimes things do go wrong.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathan W you have 24 hours to respond to member or you risk permanent banning. The clock is ticking 9:30 Eastern time Wednesday morning.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy. I have a feeling he is long gone though.
    Is there any way to check his ip address and that of "philz"? Something tells me they are the same person and came up with a fake sale and feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is terribly disturbing. Surely there is some way to deal with this in an emphatic way. There must be some way of getting the real name and address of this seller....either through Paypal or this forum. If this turns out to be an empty hole, then I think we should find some way of certifiying the true identity of anyone who sells on this forum. I for one would be willing to provide driver's license and any other personal information to the Forum owners in order to obtain such certification. I have friends in law enforcement and the DA's office in this area and will make enquiry of what kind of personal information would be the most "traceable" to obtain an person's confirmed location.

Post Thanks / Like

Services like escrow.com are a really useful 'middle-man' (or woman) between buyer and seller if needs be. I've used it before with no problem whatsoever, and the rates are pretty reasonable for the peace of mind it brings. On a $950 transaction like this, the fee would have been around $30.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a WTB post for a markins Q3 ballhead earlier and was contacted by two scammers on the forum. I didn't think about it too much then and deleted the PM's already. However, they weren't very good at scamming since they sent me pictures of the wrong ball heads and had very inconsistent flow in their messages. Just for fun, I google'd the file name of the picture and found it on flickr that belonged to someone else. These were members with 1 or 0 posts.

It feels like scammers are getting familiar with forums like this that sells high $ ticket items and are starting to target us. Definitely be cautious!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm going to avoid dealing with "new members" except in special circumstances. That is, I'll let folks put a little time contributing to the forum before I buy from them. It's not foolproof, but it stops the quick buck for scammers.

Everyone needs to make their own call on this, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

To update was is going on, Paypal is taking care of it at this point. He has a "verified" paypal account so they have all of his contact information. I was told that he has until 7-29 to prove shipment or that paypal will credit my account and then go after him on their own. This is one of the reasons I always use paypal and amex for purchases. Between the two of them, I am covered if something happens. It is still disturbing to have this happen here as this has been the best B&S forum I have come across. One dishonest person will not keep me from buying and selling here although there will be more caution on my part in the future when buying.
    I have no idea what he sold the ballhead for as I only was interested in the tripod. Hardly seems like enough money to rip someone off over but I guess some people are desperate for any amount of cash.

Post Thanks / Like

worse so for me
    this is the first time I am buying anything here
    anyway Paypal is taking care of it and hopefully I get the money back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is great news. Please followup with an indication of whether Paypal did in fact fulfill their promise to take care of these matters. I had begun to feel "protected" on this forum despite the fact I have sold no items and only purchased a couple items. Luckily, despite selling many photograhy items on other forums I have never had a bad transaction. I still say it would be good if there were some way our members could voluntarily verify their identity in a transaction. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Personally, I'm going to avoid dealing with "new members" except in special circumstances. That is, I'll let folks put a little time contributing to the forum before I buy from them. It's not foolproof, but it stops the quick buck for scammers.

Everyone needs to make their own call on this, of course.
    That is a wise choice for sure. Just because 99.99% of the folks on this forum are stellar people, it does not guarantee a slime-ball cannot sneak in, especially now that we have grown...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

A quick update. I got home to find that Paypal has sent me back the money. Not sure if they actually "recovered" it like hte email states or they are going to have to go after him some other way but I want to say that Paypal really came through for me this time and with all the negative things that I see posted(on other forums of course) about them, I am happy with the way they handled this.

Ron

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news

BTW you get a scam PM than I count on you folks to let us know. We need your help too and trust me banning someone or a IP address is not even remotely a issue for us. Rather have a trigger finger on that button than see a member lose money. Also this is YOUR forum and your home help us help you.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's why I posted so quickly when things didn't seem right. I was hoping to save others from doing business with this guy. I really hope that everyone else gets their money back. And, I will continue to use the B&S here because as Jack said, 99.99% of the people here are honest.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

still waiting for my refund here

Post Thanks / Like

What is the status of your claim? When did you file a dispute and what have they told you?

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread made me realize that if using PayPal, it's important to NOT use the gift option for purchases. By not using the gift option you have recourse if something like this happens, it's a small price to pay for security. Negotiate the fee's, but keep these WTB/FS's safe. This section provides some of the coolest/obscure/ most desirable photogear anywhere, and most buyers have seamless transactions, due to the professional character of most here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Reading this thread made me realize that if using PayPal, it's important to NOT use the gift option for purchases. By not using the gift option you have recourse if something like this happens, it's a small price to pay for security. Negotiate the fee's, but keep these WTB/FS's safe. This section provides some of the coolest/obscure/ most desirable photogear anywhere, and most buyers have seamless transactions, due to the professional character of most here.
    [bolding is mine, above]

Agree, and I would add that their fee is actually a small price to pay for being able to pay for (and receive payment for) a transaction, instantly and securely, over the internet. Like them or not, PayPal provides something that didn't exist before, and deserves to get paid for it.