The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

leicashot

I would disagree. In real world tests the two are almost identical. lloyd tends to look for negatives in just about everything, and so i take his reviews, as great as they are, with a grain of salt especially when he's speaking negatively. if you see his Twitter posts you'll know what i mean.

I never found the 0.95 to be any lesser of a lens than the Lux. Even if in clinical tests the Lux is a 'tad' better, that says more about the Noct, being a 0.95 lens than it does about the Lux being a 'tad' better in contrast. The Lux, btw, doesn't even work at 0.95, or f/1 ;-)

night, K

kebebe

Wow, Leicashot, you don't sleep at nite. The Noct .95 is a ASPH lens with a design bias towards .95 vs lux for 1.4 and both a ASPH and APO lens. Lloyd is suppose to find problems in equiptment so we can make decision as to the compromises we are willing to trade off. He has been talking about focus shift for awhile until now Leica is willing to address this problem. Overgaard also did a less detail write up and he tested shots stopped down from wide open to f16. Color fringes appeared and Leica's answer to that you can read about it.

http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Noctilux-M-ASPH-f-095.html

Overgaard continued...

For precision work that require straight lines, sharpness, ease of use and defined details, Noctilux is not the answer. Most Leica photographers will have other lenses that does that well and better. But when we need some whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh, some challenge of our ability to focus and some "to hell with it all - I paid 10,495$ and all I got was this little piece of metal with glass inside of it - ha ha!" we take out the Noctilux.

Subjective observation is important for real world use, but my point is optical compromises allows the photographer different tools to paint his/her art. My point is all these lens have their places so why should one lens a cure all? I intend to get one when my turn come from waiting list, but it will not replace my lux asph, lux pre and all the other 50s that have their places.

leicashot

You're right I don't sleep. Well you can take my experience or experience from professional bloggers, up to you. The Noctilux IS a do it all lens, only in a larger size. Its NOT designed for "whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh" - it's designed to represent images faithfully all the way to 0.95 and it does a damn great job doing so. For those seeking a lens with an obvious signature geared towards vignetting and swirl, look for the older f/1 version. The 0.95, IMHO is highly corrected, and from my professional experience in the field, it is THE perfect 'do it all' lens, albeit, at a heavyish weight and cost.

People believe what they want, experience or not, so if you don't want to take my word for it, maybe because you're trying to justify why you 'shouldn't spend more $$$ on the Noct, then listen to all the reviews saying the Lux is better....when really, put simply, the Lux is just a smaller slower version of the Noct, give or take a few subtle differences. Now while I didn't compare the two side by side I compared the Noct to the Summicron (lates) wide open, and the Noct won easily in sharpness. The Zeiss 50/2 was almost as sharp wide open as the Noct and noticeably better than the Cron.

....and again, yes I used both in professional applications, not for review write-ups. At the end of the day, the 'picture' is what counts, not the subtleties of the image, created by the characteristics of the lens. If more people worried less about this aspect, maybe we'd start seeing better pictures being posted instead of a million test shots of brick walls and cats all the time.

Wow, Leicashot, you don't sleep at nite. The Noct .95 is a ASPH lens with a design bias towards .95 vs lux for 1.4 and both a ASPH and APO lens. Lloyd is suppose to find problems in equiptment so we can make decision as to the compromises we are willing to trade off. He has been talking about focus shift for awhile until now Leica is willing to address this problem. Overgaard also did a less detail write up and he tested shots stopped down from wide open to f16. Color fringes appeared and Leica's answer to that you can read about it.

http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Noctilux-M-ASPH-f-095.html

Overgaard continued...

For precision work that require straight lines, sharpness, ease of use and defined details, Noctilux is not the answer. Most Leica photographers will have other lenses that does that well and better. But when we need some whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh, some challenge of our ability to focus and some "to hell with it all - I paid 10,495$ and all I got was this little piece of metal with glass inside of it - ha ha!" we take out the Noctilux.

Subjective observation is important for real world use, but my point is optical compromises allows the photographer different tools to paint his/her art. My point is all these lens have their places so why should one lens a cure all? I intend to get one when my turn come from waiting list, but it will not replace my lux asph, lux pre and all the other 50s that have their places.

fotografz

I would disagree. In real world tests the two are almost identical. lloyd tends to look for negatives in just about everything, and so i take his reviews, as great as they are, with a grain of salt especially when he's speaking negatively. if you see his Twitter posts you'll know what i mean.

I never found the 0.95 to be any lesser of a lens than the Lux. Even if in clinical tests the Lux is a 'tad' better, that says more about the Noct, being a 0.95 lens than it does about the Lux being a 'tad' better in contrast. The Lux, btw, doesn't even work at 0.95, or f/1 ;-)

night, K
I'd have to agree. I paid for, and throughly read, everything Lloyd had to write on the demo tests he had done using two different S2s at two different times where he slammed the camera for very poor/inaccurate AF. Then I secured a demo S2 camera for myself and was surprised how good the AF actually was. That had me scratching my head. Then I bought an S2P and it also exhibited excellent AF accuracy. Then Leica offered new firmware, and the AF got a bit faster without losing the accuracy. (??????)

I suppose if you see some negative comment on gear you are considering or already own, you are more likely to pay to read about it. Who knows?

Again, the real-world differences between the 0.95 and 50 lux ASPH are very difficult to see ... in fact, in my case, the 0.95 looked better at f/1.4 and 2 @ 100% views ... which one could attribute to minute sample variation I suppose ... or I got a typical excellent 50/1.4ASPH, and a freakishly good 0.95. Again, who knows?

-Marc

kebebe

Thanks for all your comments. As I said I have one on order so i will own one for the special character. I may ask why Erin Puts, Overgaard, and even Leica's own people from the factory says the lens is design compromise of the old Nocti f1 and the Lux Asph?

Here's why Erin had to say about it in Part 1 and follow by part 2. So you are saying Erin, Overgaard, Lloyd are all wrong as well as the leica factory tech?

Double Negative

Not Available
Honestly? Who cares what other people have to say about a lens? Read their opinion, take it into consideration... But the best way is to get a lens for yourself and make your own decision!

If I had listened to the "Internet oracle" on several lenses I now own - I'd be missing out on some of my favorite lenses! For example, the Zeiss 1,5/50 Sonnar ZM. The CV 1,1/50 Nokton. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L...

Just sayin'

kebebe

I agree Double Negative. Everyone has their reason to buy the lens including mine reasons. I will get a chance to use the noct .95 this weekend again while attending Leica's M9 workshop in Santa Barbara( Brooks Institute of Photography). 15 attendee will get a M9 and lens we requested for use for the day. I am not sure they will bring 15 Nocts for each of us. I asked Ebi, the local Leica rep and he would not say.

I do have M9 on the upgrade program to M9-P chrome or black for 1050 Euros including new top, bottom, covering to match, new LCD, camera check up with one year factory extended warranty. program starts Oct 1 and Leica will notify me when to send in the body.

leicashot

Thanks for all your comments. As I said I have one on order so i will own one for the special character. I may ask why Erin Puts, Overgaard, and even Leica's own people from the factory says the lens is design compromise of the old Nocti f1 and the Lux Asph?

Here's why Erin had to say about it in Part 1 and follow by part 2. So you are saying Erin, Overgaard, Lloyd are all wrong as well as the leica factory tech?
keep in mind the 0.95 doesn't really have 'special character' which is what makes it so special. It does almost everything right, minimizing aberrations etc. If you're expecting 'character' the f/1 is the ticket

kebebe

Hi Leicashot
I live and work close to you in Arcadia. Maybe I can take a look at your shots from your Noct .95 if possible. I will try out the Noct this weekend again and get some more experience with the lens. I just don't get use to or like the big lens blocking the rangefinder. The new 21 lux, 24 lux, the old noct and the new one all block much of the view. Do you recommend a finder mounted on the flash bracket. I know it is a hassle to look up and down for focus. Whats your opinion?

leicashot

If I still had the lens I'd be happy to run you through it. For now, I have a video i made which was part of a very extensive M9 review that never saw the light of day. This video should give you an idea about VF blockage. I didn't find it a problem at all so really no need for an external finder.

I am excited at the end of the VF cause it took about 20 goes to get that piece right ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7NK5k9I6Ew

kebebe

Thanks leicashot. Nice video. I can focus ok with the rangefinder, just not use to having a portion blocked by such a large lens. i guess thats the way it has to be. You are a young handsome guy, haha.

leicashot

Thanks kebebe thats something I work hard one ;-)

Once you master using a Noct you don't even notice the blockage at all. BRW, did you receive the package?

kebebe

my friend another member got you your site and said you take famous people portrait and all that good stuff. i'ts been about a year when i started buying Leicas and have so much fun and getting out of hand. I need the 21mm lux also.

B

BRW

Hey Kris - yes, package arrived, but the Noct 0.95 wasn't in the box??

hahaha!

Thx. B

Thanks kebebe thats something I work hard one ;-)

Once you master using a Noct you don't even notice the blockage at all. BRW, did you receive the package?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
You're right I don't sleep. Well you can take my experience or experience from professional bloggers, up to you. The Noctilux IS a do it all lens, only in a larger size. Its NOT designed for "whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh" - it's designed to represent images faithfully all the way to 0.95 and it does a damn great job doing so. For those seeking a lens with an obvious signature geared towards vignetting and swirl, look for the older f/1 version. The 0.95, IMHO is highly corrected, and from my professional experience in the field, it is THE perfect 'do it all' lens, albeit, at a heavyish weight and cost.

People believe what they want, experience or not, so if you don't want to take my word for it, maybe because you're trying to justify why you 'shouldn't spend more $$$ on the Noct, then listen to all the reviews saying the Lux is better....when really, put simply, the Lux is just a smaller slower version of the Noct, give or take a few subtle differences. Now while I didn't compare the two side by side I compared the Noct to the Summicron (lates) wide open, and the Noct won easily in sharpness. The Zeiss 50/2 was almost as sharp wide open as the Noct and noticeably better than the Cron.

....and again, yes I used both in professional applications, not for review write-ups. At the end of the day, the 'picture' is what counts, not the subtleties of the image, created by the characteristics of the lens. If more people worried less about this aspect, maybe we'd start seeing better pictures being posted instead of a million test shots of brick walls and cats all the time.
I share your views completely, and on all counts. I use a .95 Noct and also own a 50mm 'Cron, though I should just go ahead and sell it - I never use it with the Noct around. I've shot most every 'Lux version made myself also in my professional work over the years. They are smaller, but they never looked to these old eyes like the images produced by a Noctilux.

The f/1 Noct has a look of it's own, and always has down through the various versions of the lens that was made. Each, slightly different, but all with a very distinctive signature look to them - A look that made them impractical for most professional use unless you were after that specialty style. The present .95 version goes miles ahead in not limiting you to just that style - it is a lens that can stand on overall quality alone, but still give you amazing speed and versatility of very shallow depth of field when needed. It is by far heads and shoulders above all of the earlier versions for use by a professional photographer. It expands your horizons, not limiting them as the earlier versions did.

For me, as a Leica shooter for many years professionally, and as a former owner of two 'Lux's, the .95 Noct is by a wide margin the best 50mm photographic tool ever made.