Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

  1. #1
    BRW
    Guest

    WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Looking to buy a Noctilux. 0.95 (Like many others, I know!).

    Also looking for a 50 Summilux ASPH (new version).

    Let me know if you have one or know of one available.

    Located in Boston, MA.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by BRW; 5th July 2011 at 12:02.

  2. #2
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 (or 1.0) or 50 Summilux ASPH

    if you want a special effect lens thats the 1.0. Like i said, I recommend the 1.4 ASPH or 0.95....otherwise you'll probably end up selling the f/1 like most other people.

  3. #3
    BRW
    Guest

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 (or 1.0) or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I didn't realize that's what you meant re: the 1.0....I thought you were talking about the Noctilux in general...that's good to know....thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    if you want a special effect lens thats the 1.0. Like i said, I recommend the 1.4 ASPH or 0.95....otherwise you'll probably end up selling the f/1 like most other people.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I tried the nocti..95 and I have the lux from 1.4 to 2.0 the lux is slightly better contrast and Sharpness. Focusing .95 is harder too. I can buy a noct 1.0 and a lux for less money than a .95.
    I get the look of the noct and the benefit of the lux. That's my take . I also have the last nocti 1.0.

  5. #5
    Member saxshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near Washington DC
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I have the Noct 1.0 with the built in hood. GREAT lens.
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    The f/1 is a great lens. It has great character that shows up when you push it to. If you are after something with some life, then the f/1 lens may be your choice.

    Love mine and I would find it hard to sell. It stays on whatever M is in my hand. Like saxshooter, I too have the E60 version with the built in hood. It is great.

    Good luck in your hunt. You can't go wrong.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I think so too.the newer nocti has FLE which was the main problem with the older lens including the 35 lux. The .95 does not have the draw of the older lens and it is so big not convenient as a all rounder. Thats why I have the old noct, new lux and several older cron for different look.

  8. #8
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    While it's not a Noctilux, the CV 1,1/50 Nokton isn't a bad choice either. And for a LOT less coin than any of the lenses mentioned here. You might even find one quickly - also unlike the others.

  9. #9
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    BRW, I've owned all 3 and used them in professional applications. The f/1 you ONLY buy to shoot at f/1 to get that classic swirly Noct look, no other reason as there are other lenses that are sharper from 1.4 onwards.

    For me in professional applications I need my out of focus area to be un-distorted and be represented clearly for my clients, even if out of focus. The Noct and 1.4 ASPH are almost identical in rendering. While the 0.95 is much larger and a bit slower in focus it handles much better than the f/1 and faster to focus.

    I would only buy the Noct 0.95 as your only 50mm lens if you plan on using it wide open much of the time. Otherwise the 1.4 ASPH is a better option as it's cheaper and easier to carry around for long periods, unless you're used to carrying a large SLR. For me the Noct 0.95 was no problem to carry around, and it gives you a nice piece of mind knowing that there is no faster lens in the world so you're able to shoot as fast as possible in low light environments. For me that was more im[portant than it's 'blurring' qualities, which are often overused amongst Leica photographers, looking to turn boring/poor pictures into something creative, using an open aperture.

    Here are some shots taken with the Noct wide open. I ONLY sold it cause I needed the cash to fund the Hassy. Honestly, wish I didn't now.

    http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/L9994002

    http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/pg406967

    http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gal...-573fin_1000px

    http://www.kristiandowling.com/#/gallery-2/L1013327

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Leicashots have some good points. I am looking for the new nocti but cost more than retail so I have to wait. It is the fastest 50 that is state of the art. The older Canon is not Sharp and low in contrast.I have the Canon f1.2 ltm and it is close to the old nocti with more yellow cast that is slower but smaller and shorter.
    The bc is nice too compared to the new lux but I don't think it has FLE for the focus shift issues when shooting to f2.8.

    To get the best for the old nocti should have lens and body matched.

  11. #11
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Oh and you NEEEEEEEED the 1.4x magnifier!!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    This thread has been super helpful! Thx!

    Is the 1.25x magnifier not enough?

  13. #13
    Member saxshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near Washington DC
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    +1 on the magnifier. I had the 1.25x but this was before they made the 1.4x
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    +2 on the 1.4X mag.

    I used to have the 50/0.95 and 50/1.4 ASPH ... I could not detect a single bit of difference between the two when shot in the same light at the same apertures. None.

    Obviously, the Nocti is bigger ... but I shoot in low light so often, or where I want to isolate a subject even at a bit further distance, it was a no brainer decision to keep it and sell the 50/1.4
    For a smaller 50 walk-about I'm watching for a nice 50/2.

    -Marc

  15. #15
    Jubb Jubb
    Guest

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    There is a used 50mm Summilux going on the BH website for a good price...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ummilux_M.html

  16. #16
    Member saxshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near Washington DC
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    fyi when buying older 50mm Summilux lenses. Older ones focus down to 1m. Newer ones go as close as 0.7m

    If that is important to you (it is to me)
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

  17. #17
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by ohdannyboy View Post
    This thread has been super helpful! Thx!

    Is the 1.25x magnifier not enough?
    No, it's a little help but the 1.4x on the M9 especially is perfect for the Noct. Even then it's still a little hit and miss but nothing focus bracketing can't help (where possible).

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by ohdannyboy View Post
    This thread has been super helpful! Thx!

    Is the 1.25x magnifier not enough?
    Ok,
    here I come with a different opinion: I hasd the 1,25 and ordered the 1.4 mag. When I received it I didnt like it because I thought it produces a tunnel like view. So I gave it back and since then I am happy with my 1.25 Magn.
    However, now, 2 years later reading all this I think I should give it maybe a second try.

  19. #19
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    The 1.4x magnifier really is 'the' magnifier to own. The 1.25x doesn't really add much to focusing accuracy on the M9. Using any 50mm lens, the 1.4X will help greatly in focusing and fills the view nicely with the 50mm framelines.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Here is a very detail review comparing Noct .95 & 1.4 asph from diglloyd. You can decide which one is better for you. There is a difference between them. You have to subscribe to read it but here is an excerpt.
    "The results all reveal the same thing: the Summilux stands head and shoulders above the Noctilux in terms of contrast and sharpness at f/1.4 and f/2. At f/2.8 onwards, field curvature and tiny focus differences determine which lens performs better in any particular area of the frame."
    And it goes on and on. The noct is a specialty lens and at .95 and 1.0 no other lens can compare but f1.4, f2.0 the lux is better. In real world shooting maybe hard to tell.


    "

  21. #21
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I would disagree. In real world tests the two are almost identical. lloyd tends to look for negatives in just about everything, and so i take his reviews, as great as they are, with a grain of salt especially when he's speaking negatively. if you see his Twitter posts you'll know what i mean.

    I never found the 0.95 to be any lesser of a lens than the Lux. Even if in clinical tests the Lux is a 'tad' better, that says more about the Noct, being a 0.95 lens than it does about the Lux being a 'tad' better in contrast. The Lux, btw, doesn't even work at 0.95, or f/1 ;-)

    night, K

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Wow, Leicashot, you don't sleep at nite. The Noct .95 is a ASPH lens with a design bias towards .95 vs lux for 1.4 and both a ASPH and APO lens. Lloyd is suppose to find problems in equiptment so we can make decision as to the compromises we are willing to trade off. He has been talking about focus shift for awhile until now Leica is willing to address this problem. Overgaard also did a less detail write up and he tested shots stopped down from wide open to f16. Color fringes appeared and Leica's answer to that you can read about it.

    http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Nocti...SPH-f-095.html

    Overgaard continued...

    For precision work that require straight lines, sharpness, ease of use and defined details, Noctilux is not the answer. Most Leica photographers will have other lenses that does that well and better. But when we need some whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh, some challenge of our ability to focus and some "to hell with it all - I paid 10,495$ and all I got was this little piece of metal with glass inside of it - ha ha!" we take out the Noctilux.

    Subjective observation is important for real world use, but my point is optical compromises allows the photographer different tools to paint his/her art. My point is all these lens have their places so why should one lens a cure all? I intend to get one when my turn come from waiting list, but it will not replace my lux asph, lux pre and all the other 50s that have their places.

  23. #23
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    You're right I don't sleep. Well you can take my experience or experience from professional bloggers, up to you. The Noctilux IS a do it all lens, only in a larger size. Its NOT designed for "whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh" - it's designed to represent images faithfully all the way to 0.95 and it does a damn great job doing so. For those seeking a lens with an obvious signature geared towards vignetting and swirl, look for the older f/1 version. The 0.95, IMHO is highly corrected, and from my professional experience in the field, it is THE perfect 'do it all' lens, albeit, at a heavyish weight and cost.

    People believe what they want, experience or not, so if you don't want to take my word for it, maybe because you're trying to justify why you 'shouldn't spend more $$$ on the Noct, then listen to all the reviews saying the Lux is better....when really, put simply, the Lux is just a smaller slower version of the Noct, give or take a few subtle differences. Now while I didn't compare the two side by side I compared the Noct to the Summicron (lates) wide open, and the Noct won easily in sharpness. The Zeiss 50/2 was almost as sharp wide open as the Noct and noticeably better than the Cron.

    ....and again, yes I used both in professional applications, not for review write-ups. At the end of the day, the 'picture' is what counts, not the subtleties of the image, created by the characteristics of the lens. If more people worried less about this aspect, maybe we'd start seeing better pictures being posted instead of a million test shots of brick walls and cats all the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by kebebe View Post
    Wow, Leicashot, you don't sleep at nite. The Noct .95 is a ASPH lens with a design bias towards .95 vs lux for 1.4 and both a ASPH and APO lens. Lloyd is suppose to find problems in equiptment so we can make decision as to the compromises we are willing to trade off. He has been talking about focus shift for awhile until now Leica is willing to address this problem. Overgaard also did a less detail write up and he tested shots stopped down from wide open to f16. Color fringes appeared and Leica's answer to that you can read about it.

    http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Nocti...SPH-f-095.html

    Overgaard continued...

    For precision work that require straight lines, sharpness, ease of use and defined details, Noctilux is not the answer. Most Leica photographers will have other lenses that does that well and better. But when we need some whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh, some challenge of our ability to focus and some "to hell with it all - I paid 10,495$ and all I got was this little piece of metal with glass inside of it - ha ha!" we take out the Noctilux.

    Subjective observation is important for real world use, but my point is optical compromises allows the photographer different tools to paint his/her art. My point is all these lens have their places so why should one lens a cure all? I intend to get one when my turn come from waiting list, but it will not replace my lux asph, lux pre and all the other 50s that have their places.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    I would disagree. In real world tests the two are almost identical. lloyd tends to look for negatives in just about everything, and so i take his reviews, as great as they are, with a grain of salt especially when he's speaking negatively. if you see his Twitter posts you'll know what i mean.

    I never found the 0.95 to be any lesser of a lens than the Lux. Even if in clinical tests the Lux is a 'tad' better, that says more about the Noct, being a 0.95 lens than it does about the Lux being a 'tad' better in contrast. The Lux, btw, doesn't even work at 0.95, or f/1 ;-)

    night, K
    I'd have to agree. I paid for, and throughly read, everything Lloyd had to write on the demo tests he had done using two different S2s at two different times where he slammed the camera for very poor/inaccurate AF. Then I secured a demo S2 camera for myself and was surprised how good the AF actually was. That had me scratching my head. Then I bought an S2P and it also exhibited excellent AF accuracy. Then Leica offered new firmware, and the AF got a bit faster without losing the accuracy. (??????)

    I suppose if you see some negative comment on gear you are considering or already own, you are more likely to pay to read about it. Who knows?

    Again, the real-world differences between the 0.95 and 50 lux ASPH are very difficult to see ... in fact, in my case, the 0.95 looked better at f/1.4 and 2 @ 100% views ... which one could attribute to minute sample variation I suppose ... or I got a typical excellent 50/1.4ASPH, and a freakishly good 0.95. Again, who knows?

    -Marc

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Thanks for all your comments. As I said I have one on order so i will own one for the special character. I may ask why Erin Puts, Overgaard, and even Leica's own people from the factory says the lens is design compromise of the old Nocti f1 and the Lux Asph?

    Here's why Erin had to say about it in Part 1 and follow by part 2. So you are saying Erin, Overgaard, Lloyd are all wrong as well as the leica factory tech?

  26. #26
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Honestly? Who cares what other people have to say about a lens? Read their opinion, take it into consideration... But the best way is to get a lens for yourself and make your own decision!

    If I had listened to the "Internet oracle" on several lenses I now own - I'd be missing out on some of my favorite lenses! For example, the Zeiss 1,5/50 Sonnar ZM. The CV 1,1/50 Nokton. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L...

    Just sayin'

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    I agree Double Negative. Everyone has their reason to buy the lens including mine reasons. I will get a chance to use the noct .95 this weekend again while attending Leica's M9 workshop in Santa Barbara( Brooks Institute of Photography). 15 attendee will get a M9 and lens we requested for use for the day. I am not sure they will bring 15 Nocts for each of us. I asked Ebi, the local Leica rep and he would not say.

    I do have M9 on the upgrade program to M9-P chrome or black for 1050 Euros including new top, bottom, covering to match, new LCD, camera check up with one year factory extended warranty. program starts Oct 1 and Leica will notify me when to send in the body.

  28. #28
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by kebebe View Post
    Thanks for all your comments. As I said I have one on order so i will own one for the special character. I may ask why Erin Puts, Overgaard, and even Leica's own people from the factory says the lens is design compromise of the old Nocti f1 and the Lux Asph?

    Here's why Erin had to say about it in Part 1 and follow by part 2. So you are saying Erin, Overgaard, Lloyd are all wrong as well as the leica factory tech?
    keep in mind the 0.95 doesn't really have 'special character' which is what makes it so special. It does almost everything right, minimizing aberrations etc. If you're expecting 'character' the f/1 is the ticket

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Hi Leicashot
    I live and work close to you in Arcadia. Maybe I can take a look at your shots from your Noct .95 if possible. I will try out the Noct this weekend again and get some more experience with the lens. I just don't get use to or like the big lens blocking the rangefinder. The new 21 lux, 24 lux, the old noct and the new one all block much of the view. Do you recommend a finder mounted on the flash bracket. I know it is a hassle to look up and down for focus. Whats your opinion?

  30. #30
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    If I still had the lens I'd be happy to run you through it. For now, I have a video i made which was part of a very extensive M9 review that never saw the light of day. This video should give you an idea about VF blockage. I didn't find it a problem at all so really no need for an external finder.

    I am excited at the end of the VF cause it took about 20 goes to get that piece right ;-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7NK5k9I6Ew

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Thanks leicashot. Nice video. I can focus ok with the rangefinder, just not use to having a portion blocked by such a large lens. i guess thats the way it has to be. You are a young handsome guy, haha.

  32. #32
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Thanks kebebe thats something I work hard one ;-)

    Once you master using a Noct you don't even notice the blockage at all. BRW, did you receive the package?

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    my friend another member got you your site and said you take famous people portrait and all that good stuff. i'ts been about a year when i started buying Leicas and have so much fun and getting out of hand. I need the 21mm lux also.

  34. #34
    BRW
    Guest

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Hey Kris - yes, package arrived, but the Noct 0.95 wasn't in the box??

    hahaha!

    Thx. B

    Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    Thanks kebebe thats something I work hard one ;-)

    Once you master using a Noct you don't even notice the blockage at all. BRW, did you receive the package?

  35. #35
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    well it sounds like you have much money to burn so feel free to burn in my direction ;-)

  36. #36
    Senior Member leicashot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by BRW View Post
    Hey Kris - yes, package arrived, but the Noct 0.95 wasn't in the box??

    hahaha!

    Thx. B
    It's been about 5 months since my last inoctilation and I'm proud

  37. #37
    BRW
    Guest

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Wow, these are hard to find......still looking!

  38. #38
    Subscriber Member Chuck Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA
    Posts
    700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: WTB: Noctilux 0.95 or 50 Summilux ASPH

    Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    You're right I don't sleep. Well you can take my experience or experience from professional bloggers, up to you. The Noctilux IS a do it all lens, only in a larger size. Its NOT designed for "whichcraft and fascination in our photography, some artistic bokeh" - it's designed to represent images faithfully all the way to 0.95 and it does a damn great job doing so. For those seeking a lens with an obvious signature geared towards vignetting and swirl, look for the older f/1 version. The 0.95, IMHO is highly corrected, and from my professional experience in the field, it is THE perfect 'do it all' lens, albeit, at a heavyish weight and cost.

    People believe what they want, experience or not, so if you don't want to take my word for it, maybe because you're trying to justify why you 'shouldn't spend more $$$ on the Noct, then listen to all the reviews saying the Lux is better....when really, put simply, the Lux is just a smaller slower version of the Noct, give or take a few subtle differences. Now while I didn't compare the two side by side I compared the Noct to the Summicron (lates) wide open, and the Noct won easily in sharpness. The Zeiss 50/2 was almost as sharp wide open as the Noct and noticeably better than the Cron.

    ....and again, yes I used both in professional applications, not for review write-ups. At the end of the day, the 'picture' is what counts, not the subtleties of the image, created by the characteristics of the lens. If more people worried less about this aspect, maybe we'd start seeing better pictures being posted instead of a million test shots of brick walls and cats all the time.
    I share your views completely, and on all counts. I use a .95 Noct and also own a 50mm 'Cron, though I should just go ahead and sell it - I never use it with the Noct around. I've shot most every 'Lux version made myself also in my professional work over the years. They are smaller, but they never looked to these old eyes like the images produced by a Noctilux.

    The f/1 Noct has a look of it's own, and always has down through the various versions of the lens that was made. Each, slightly different, but all with a very distinctive signature look to them - A look that made them impractical for most professional use unless you were after that specialty style. The present .95 version goes miles ahead in not limiting you to just that style - it is a lens that can stand on overall quality alone, but still give you amazing speed and versatility of very shallow depth of field when needed. It is by far heads and shoulders above all of the earlier versions for use by a professional photographer. It expands your horizons, not limiting them as the earlier versions did.

    For me, as a Leica shooter for many years professionally, and as a former owner of two 'Lux's, the .95 Noct is by a wide margin the best 50mm photographic tool ever made.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •