The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Leica 35 mm lux Asph I

6x7

"The best photographers I know do not shot Leica, and the best Leica photographers I know don't care about having the latest and 'best' Leica lenses "

oh.. ohh.. make prints of that sentence in gold letters and you will get serious $ selling them… :))) even to us infected afficionados with masochistic tendencies.. can I buy the rights for your poetry ? :angel:

.... The best photographers I know do not shot Leica, and the best Leica photographers I know don't care about having the latest and 'best' Leica lenses.....

kebebe

I just did a quick tests of my 35m Lux AsphI. I am not an expert of testing for focus shift and good or bad bokeh or character. What do you think? Please give me your comments. The shots are from f1.4 to f11 cos i don't have space to add one more unless i delete the picture of the lens.

Thanks for your help.

leicashot

"The best photographers I know do not shot Leica, and the best Leica photographers I know don't care about having the latest and 'best' Leica lenses "

oh.. ohh.. make prints of that sentence in gold letters and you will get serious $ selling them… :))) even to us infected afficionados with masochistic tendencies.. can I buy the rights for your poetry ? :angel:
To be honest, maybe it's my inability to understand internet chat, but It's hard to tell if you're offended or being sarcastic

kebebe

I think we all are voicing our opinion, our experience and testing so I am not affended and I think I value all comments.

ashwinrao1

I think we all are voicing our opinion, our experience and testing so I am not affended and I think I value all comments.
Wow, lots of dialogue that's going on here. I will only recommend Kebebe as a great buyer and guilty like many of us, regardless of our skills as photogs (or lackthereof, depending on who's lookinbg...:ROTFL:)....

The 35 lux asph I is a great lens. I have commented in the past that it was for 2 years my favorite lens in terms of the look that I got from it. My copy didn't exhibit focus shift in a way that was meaningful for my way of shooting, and I think the bottom line should be whether or not one is pleased with how they can use it.

Everett said it very lucidly: the lens is well capable, and it's often only our own set of skills that's limiting, moreso than focus shift. THat being said, I also agree with Everett's reflection that the new version holds sharp edges better and has a more dramatic fall off between sharp and unsharp areas. Some might comment that the new version has a busier bokeh, but I don't thing this is the case in my exerience.

I decided to sell my version I and get a version 2 FLE for 2 reasons. One: availability....I had a vendor who had one become available, and I jumped at the chance....Two, my lenses have gradually gravitated towards a more modern look, and most of my lenses are aspherical or current designs. Thus, I wanted a lens that fit that profile of looks, and the 35 lux II, IMHO, pairs well with the 50 lux asph, 50 noct f/0.95, 24/21 lux asph, and 75/90 crons in terms of their style of rendering, which has much to do with that edge sharpness (and higher macrocontrast of the lenses)....

I can tell you, that for me, since owning the 35 lux II, I don't miss the version I very much, though there are others that might miss it quite a bit....it's a fabulous lens, just as was the version before it (pre-asph)

That being said, I still keep a vintage 50 rigid 'cron for the times where I want a more classic rendition, lower contrast.....'

The choice is ultimately on Everett, and I see that the lens is still for sale....one final issue: When do 35 lux II's become available?

Horses for courses....

leicashot

Great points Ashwin. If I had the cash I'd buy the new version (at no more than retail mind you) because it's newer optical design seems to be more foolproof, and more importantly I found it's physical design to be more solid and hood implementation better.

But optically, i'll say it again, I prefer the Nokton 35/1.2 for it's character, and prefer the Summilux for its handling and size. Again, and I'll keep saying this.....neither lenses will take better 'pictures' - thats up to us ;-)

kebebe

Hi Guys. i am learning a lot or I should say I have been getting many sincere opinions about the lens, character, bokeh, focus issues, its sharpness, contrast etc...

I decided to go ahead to sell the lens and I will contact the people who have been patient with me.

I just came back at the local camera swap meet and met with some friends, dealers( sellers in booth). I was lucky to find one 35mm Lux Asph that may not be in the same condition as mine and asking price is more than inline with my prices. They think buyers are paying in the $4200 to $4500 range on the top end.

I also reviewed my memory what the 35mm Lux ASPH II compared to I. Ashwin's review is very close to my experience. It is true the old lens have some of the character that is attractive is an old fashion( cannot find the word) presentation of the film days. I do not mean it is not sharp as the test shots how primitive may be do show sharpness better than my sold Nocti. I don't think any lens will be exactly the same but have similar characteristics of un corrected spherical aberations. I fortunately have collected a drawer full of 50s and 35s lens that have similar but not identical rendering. if fact, if I give the images to my friend, they cannot pick out which one from each. I am referring to 35 1.4 different versions and 50mm f1.4 versions. When I took the images with which lens, i may be trying to identify differences then I may discovered the minute differences.

As for the modern lens from Leica, I do see the family trait from the 50mm Lux Asph and the 35mm lux AsphII. The Noct .95 I tested is similar but have more character from the classic look wide open until stopped down pass f4 or more.

All these differences are personal and I may change my mind later and wish for it back but for now, I am moving forward on the sale.

Thanks for all the apreciated feedback and comments and caring so I don't make the wrong decision.

Kebebe/Everett

Last edited:

kebebe

35mm Lux Asph I is now pending payment tomorrow. Thanks for all the interested party and all who gave me advices and comments,

Kebebe

6x7

To be honest, maybe it's my inability to understand internet chat, but It's hard to tell if you're offended or being sarcastic
no offence at all… only fun over here… :)) this thing is called humour and I tend to exaggerate sometimes.. as I read the sentence I was very amused. some other may be too.. in fact depending on ones perspective/experience you can laugh or cry abot some very truth in the sentence.:angel:

kebebe

Leica 35mm lux asph II sold and shipped. Already hurting cos cannot find any noct .95 or new 35 lux anywhere for reasonable prices.