The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Leica 35 mm lux Asph I

kebebe

I have decided to sell my Mint Leica 35mm summilux black asph I. Box and everything when it came new. Glass is Mint and so is the body. It is not 6 bit coded.

Just got back from First USA Leica M9 workshop today. Here are the pictures of the 35m Lux ASPH. I did not take picture of box but it is MINT also.

Selling for $4000 plus shipping and paypal.

Thanks for looking:salute:

Last edited:

NB23

Firstly, your views on the noctilux f1 are erroneous. They don't match my sample at all.
Secondly, my 35 lux sample doesn't show any focus shift and is perfectly accurate wide open.

And since you strongly insist on sounding like you are Leica's chief lens designer, maybe you can explain why my lenses behave so nicely?

Many of my friends who have tried my sample are looking for one (hence this post). They expect this lens to be accurate at all f-stops as per their experience. They, like me, refuse to base their knowledge on a few internet myths.

leicashot

Firstly, your views on the noctilux f1 are erroneous. They don't match my sample at all.
Secondly, my 35 lux sample doesn't show any focus shift and is perfectly accurate wide open.

And since you strongly insist on sounding like you are Leica's chief lens designer, maybe you can explain why my lenses behave so nicely?

Many of my friends who have tried my sample are looking for one (hence this post). They expect this lens to be accurate at all f-stops as per their experience. They, like me, refuse to base their knowledge on a few internet myths.
Are you actually addressing me? Seems like you really have an issue with my opinions. Thats perfectly ok with me, but I do feel for 'you' - you seem very agitated and distraught as if I have disrespected you personally.

Hopefully you'll feel differently in the morning. Cheers

G

glycine

Realistically, that is not really possible, especially so with this lens. There are definitely good not so good bodies around but keep in mind that with digital its very easy to see when things aren't 100% right, compared to film.

That's why Leica released the new II version to combat focus shifts. Personally when I compared the version I and II, I preferred the older version.

Anyway sorry to intrude, and good luck with the sale. Seems you're selling off all your great lenses.
I have to disagree. My 35 lux Asph I does not show focus shift and it focuses accurately at any aperture settings.

G

glycine

Thank you for disagreeing respectfully. I myself owned a couple of these lenses without 'noticeable' problems, so I do agree with you so now I bow in defeat
The focus shift issue might be existing in some copies but not all. I have owned 3 so far and none of them had focus shift issue. However, I did notice focus shift on other M mount lenses. Again, it might just be copy variation.

leicashot

The focus shift issue might be existing in some copies but not all. I have owned 3 so far and none of them had focus shift issue. However, I did notice focus shift on other M mount lenses. Again, it might just be copy variation.
comments deleted in respect for seller. I suggest other do the same with the quotations. Mods/OP, sorry for posting.

kebebe

Hello and thanks for the conversations. I just added some photos from the Leica Workshop. 15 our us got to use M9s, Noct, 21 Lux and all the lens including the 35mm Lux asph II. Ebe the Leica rep as well as Smith the instructor checked our lens if we requested. it is so interesting that comments on focus shifts, bokeh, contrasts and sharpness etc... And you know what? They have no concerns about all this. They use equiptment to get the job done. They cannot tell if there was focus shift from my lens vs the new 35 Lux. we shot wide open, closed down to f11( bright day in santa barbara. They said why upgrade to Lux II when the difference is less than 10% in terms of sharpness and they taught us zone focus and sharpness is over rated says the instructors. the sample images are not all sharp, some grainy an some is low saturation and some no details in shadows. They are more concern wth blown highlights and let the shadows go detailess. They do not fill in the shadows to lower the contrasts. We went thru workflow, lightroom and they do minimum editing so the vision is more important that post edit. i learn a lot and ordered the noct and some other stuff. Just enjoy our photography. hope you enjoy the shots.

leicashot

Well done Kebebe. The newer model, at least in my comparative tests was not 10% sharper, not even 1%. They were identical in sharpness, but there were other differences, most in favor of the lens you're selling. The biggest difference was that the newer version seemed to have more depth of field wide open, whereas the version 1 seemed to isolate better. This is possibly due to the zone of focus, being placed slightly more in front with the version 1, but who knows for sure? Certainly not me ;-)

It's a great lens and if only I had the $$$ to help you on your way to the Noct. Question though....why are you selling this sweet lens?

PS: Sorry for the chat above...

G

glycine

Well done Kebebe. The newer model, at least in my comparative tests was not 10% sharper, not even 1%. They were identical in sharpness, but there were other differences, most in favor of the lens you're selling. The biggest difference was that the newer version seemed to have more depth of field wide open, whereas the version 1 seemed to isolate better. This is possibly due to the zone of focus, being placed slightly more in front with the version 1, but who knows for sure? Certainly not me ;-)

It's a great lens and if only I had the $$$ to help you on your way to the Noct. Question though....why are you selling this sweet lens?

PS: Sorry for the chat above...
The reason for selling is to get the version II, I guess.
Kebebe is a perfectionist. :)

kebebe

I don't know. I regret selling the noct f1 60mm. The guys at the workshop was from diversed background with only one student photographer. The rest is like me blowing money to enjoy our hobby, but we are loving it. They say don't sell any lens. I use to not sell and recently was convinced by some members that i should upgrade to modern look. i feel there is no right look, just how we feel at the point of vision. Maybe i pull the sale off. I got several people wanting to do different ways to send me money. Wire, bank deposit paypal, cashiers checks. Mailing to US and over the ocean. Maybe need to find money from somewhere to buy new stuff. The Asian guy with dark shirt has a Noct like my sold one and he said why sell it? He came from 4 generation of Leica shooters. Many students had their M9 and lens and we take turn try all the lens. Too bad they did not have the new 21mm f3.8. I better think carefully since they checked focus at 45% at min distance with a magifier on the viewfinder on a test and cannot tell much shift. True the DOF of the older 35:Lux drop of more gradual and the edge contrast( not sharpness) pop more on the new lens. I should correct myself that the new lens is not 10% sharper, rather the contrast create an impression of that. I guess i am learning. We can always post edit to get more contrast that many of us do anyway. Bill, the guest instructor( we had 2 beside Ebe the rep) work at Brooks school showed us images from digital that look like film instead of pixel peeping types some off us sometimes try to accomplish. I learn that images don't have to be looking the same each time we shoot and post ed and to change our vision the moment how we want the image to look. Does this make any sense?

So I should keep the 35mm Lux II?

kebebe

You guys got me going. I mean keep Lux I and pop extra cash for LuxIi? Hell, I have 7 35mm Leica lens now. How many more do i need?

leicashot

If your Lux 1 is working perfectly, then you're not going to be missing anything from the version 2.

Leica photography is like a sick drug. Instead of focusing on improving PICTURES, they end up focusing more on improving the files. The best photographers I know do not shot Leica, and the best Leica photographers I know don't care about having the latest and 'best' Leica lenses. They are focused more on the pictures, than anything else, although without people doing this, the company probably would not exist today.

At the end of the day, do what you enjoy. If that means going and over-analyzing your images/files, as apposed to analyzing how you can improve your photography, then just do it...change and upgrade as you will. There are hobbyists that care about photography first and then there are those who care about equipment first. Either way, as long as your happy, do what you need to do.

leicashot

Glycine should I sell? Anyone else? Should I sell? Please comment.
Honestly, you need to make the decision on your own. if you have money to burn, then you'll lose nothing but money by upgrading. But you 'may' gain piece of mind. Neither lens will take better pictures, only YOU can do that (hint, hint)

I'm not sure how great your work is, but maybe you could focus more attention on improving your photography....thats my final advice, should that matter.

kebebe

The lens are way better than my photography. Sharper lens and higher resolutions files are lost if i miss focus. Maybe I need to upgrade my eyes first, haha