The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Zeiss Classic Contax RF 21/4.5

Z

zhengpeng

Up for sale is a Carl Zeiss Biogon 21mm f/4.5 for Zeiss rangefinder cameras (e.g. Contax II, IIa, III, IIIa, etc). Bought it because I was planning to play with the Zeiss Contax rangefinder camera. However, I never bought the real German Contax rangefinder (maybe later) and need the money to fund my other purchases. So this lens has to go.

The lens is in excellent condition. You will get the body, a metal rear cap, a plastic front cap, and a leather lens case. Pictures are here:

$850 net to me for the whole set. I am located in CT, USA. Ship to CONUS is free. Other destination please contact me. Price is firm and serious buyer only.

I am new here but have good feedback on ebay by the name "uconnjames". I also buy and sell on FM forum by the name "jamespayne".

Thanks!

Last edited:

bluebook

I heard so much about this lens. Just wondering--do you know how it performs compared to the current 21mm f/4.5 Zeiss C-Biogon?

Z

zhengpeng

I heard so much about this lens. Just wondering--do you know how it performs compared to the current 21mm f/4.5 Zeiss C-Biogon?
I also heard a lot of good things about this lens and that's why I bought it. However, I never got a Contax body to test it. If this lens is not sold in this month, I will get a Contax IIa and compare it with my CZ 21/2.8 (Leica mount) and CZ 21/2.8 (Contax G mount).

bluebook

You can also get an adapter--this way you can use it on your M's?

I was searching for this lens for a long time then I gave up and went for Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 (M-mount) instead.

Z

zhengpeng

You can also get an adapter--this way you can use it on your M's?

I was searching for this lens for a long time then I gave up and went for Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 (M-mount) instead.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know there are adapters for old Contax RF lenses to Leica body. If given a chance, I'd still prefer having a Contax IIa/IIIa. First of all, I don't have a digital Leica, so all tests will be done by film anyway. Secondly, for my taste, the 21/4.5 would look AWESOME on the classic Contax body:D

The second reason alone would be sufficient for me to get the Contax body. Just the idea of putting them together is killing me! Wait, I need to stop all the hallucinating. The point of this post is to sell the lens and get some cash:p

wjlapier

Excellent lens and wise choice to keep it. Amedeo makes the adapter you'll need. No rangefinder coupling, but you won't need it for this wide of a lens.