The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTT: Leica M9 (black) for M8 or M8.2 Silver

Godfrey

I don't know enough about this particular transaction (nor do I really want to), but I tend to agree with BRW: there's no win once you get a thread like this rolling.

But, just commenting on what's been said so far:

a) If you take pictures with the lens cap on and particularly with a long exposure time, you'll find some hot and dead pixels with a *lot* of brand new cameras which don't count for anything at all in terms of the camera's condition.

And b) Everything I sell says explicitly, "final sale, no returns." I take great pains to be sure that anything I sell is in better condition than described, and I've never had a complaint of any kind. But in the odd case where I missed something about the condition of an item and sent it out unknowingly, if the buyer contacted me in a timely way (within a day or so after receiving it) and said, "hey I was just checking out this thing and I found this, did you know about it?" my first response would be to say, "Put it back in the box exactly as I sent it to you and return it, I'll refund your money and reimburse you for the shipping."

To wait more than two weeks before reporting a problem, well, there's no way for me to know how the buyer handles something. I often grit my teeth watching some of my best friends handle their gear.

I don't do the 'pay for repairs' thing in any event. If the buyer isn't happy with what they bought, and that was my fault through missing a problem, I want the item back. Period.

I don't see anything wrong with providing criticism about a seller (or a buyer for that matter), but a for sale thread is a pretty aggressive place to do this unless the seller has been observed to repeatedly screw a bunch of buyers. Any individual transaction is a relationship between two people*as well as an exchange of equipment, and in any transaction even the most scrupulous and honest buyer and seller can rub each other the wrong way or make a mistake. For that reason, for sale threads are not the right place to supply feedback.

O

opsconcorde

BRW, three things.

1) As I explained very clearly in my email, I was unwell and did not have the chance to test the camera until 2 weeks after I received it. As I also pointed out to you, the image file numbers of the photos I sent you clearly showed that they were sequentially right after the numbers of the last photos you took when you had the camera. So it was not as if I had gone around happily shooting for 2 weeks before I discovered the problem. The problem was discovered immediately after I tried the camera and I contacted you right away.

2) You can see the red dot and white dots very clearly in the images I took and emailed to you.

3) I did not ask you to take the camera back, nor did I ask for you to pay for the repairs. Once I discovered the issue, I informed you about it and sought your views. Your position was clear: You did not think this was an issue, you did not know that the camera had such an issue. And you think I should be as happy using it as you did. Which of course to me was crap, but I accepted it.

Don't paint yourself to be a victim here. You are not.

O

opsconcorde

To all the other guys in the forum, thanks for your feedback and advice. Incidentally, the photos taken with the cap on was not done at long exposure. I can't remember the shutter speeds, but they should be around 1/60.

E

enenrf

To all the other guys in the forum, thanks for your feedback and advice. Incidentally, the photos taken with the cap on was not done at long exposure. I can't remember the shutter speeds, but they should be around 1/60.

I do the same thing when I get a new or used camera. Take this as a lesson next time test the camera right after receive it or simply buy form a reputable dealer with no asking return policy within grace period.

Sorry for your loss.