The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Big Leica R system

Stuart Richardson

Well, as with my Rollei system which is for sale, I am trying to raise funds for an S2. Some of you might be aware that the S2 costs a lot of money! But when I looked at all the gear I have gathered over the years, I figured I might be able to cover it. I had not intended to sell my R gear, but given that it is being sold to fund something like a Super R system, I think I can part with it.

I am just going to cut and paste the first part of the Rollei description, as it still applies:
All of these items are located in Iceland, but I am a US citizen, and my paypal account is US based, so if you are in the states there should be no added fees. For this sale, I would ask that the buyer pays shipping and paypal fees. I hope to price the items reasonably, so that this palatable. FedEx shipping is generally between 80-130 USD to the US, and it is the cheapest express carrier in Iceland, as well as the fastest and most reliable shipping method. I can also ship via the Icelandic postal service's airmail shipping, which is the most economical. It should take a week or two to arrive, and it has tracking. I would only charge my costs. I am happy to ship anywhere, upon receiving payment. There is too much to list in one go, so I will just list as much as I can at the moment. I will link to photos of the equipment, as posting them all inline would take up too much space! Please note, there are 14 pages of equipment, so it may take a bit to find it! Not all is up for immediate sale, and some is already sold, so if you can wait until I list it, that will probably allow me to maintain a bit of sanity in this process! I am also happy to listen to offers for the whole system if someone wants to make one. http://stuartrichardson.com/summer2011-sale/index.html

Please PM me for specific information about a given item. All the gear is in perfect working order, and most is in absolutely superb condition. Some have a bit more wear -- this should be possible to figure out in photos, but if you intend to buy an item, I will describe its exact condition to you. I leave it out here for the sake of brevity.

Leica R9, anthracite. In great shape, went to Leica in 2006 or 2007 for a full overhaul. Works beautifully. It has a maxwell precision optics focusing screen, and I will include two more focusing screens and all other miscellaneous R system bits with it that I find. I am asking 950 for it.

Leica 28-90mm f/2.8-4.5 ASPH ROM. Bought from Guy Mancuso himself! This lens is the best zoom I have ever used, bar none. It is superb and in Ex+/LN- condition. Asking 2800. Ebay has them from 3000-4500!

19mm f/2.8 Elmarit, latest version 3 Cam. This lens is one of the best super wide angle lenses ever designed. My copy is in user condition with noticeable wear on the lens and some dust inside the glass, but it functions perfectly and takes very sharp shots. Asking 1600.

35mm f/1.4 Summilux 3 Cam. It's a 35mm Summilux -- what do you think, it's great! In very good condition with a bit of wear and slight dulling of paint etc, the glass is free from marks, but there is some dust and one small hair. No impact on performance at all, and it would surely clean up easily with a CLA. eBay seems to suggest this condition is worth about 2500.

50mm f/1.4 Summilux E60 ROM. This is the latest version, and generally performs better than the 50mm f/1.4 Pre-asph summilux and slightly worse than the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. I think, however, that this is the nicest 50mm lens I have ever used. It has gorgeous bokeh and yet is still very sharp wide open. I like it better then the Summilux ASPH (which I also have). Check out that bokeh!
http://stuartrichardson.com/kr-getty2.jpg
http://stuartrichardson.com/kr-getty-monorail.jpg
The lens is in great shape...I bought it new. It comes with the box and case. 2500 takes it.

100mm f/2.8 APO Macro Elmarit ROM. This lens is legendary. The lens does not really do anything wrong -- it is supremely sharp at all distances and apertures, focuses to 1:2, has apo correction...it is fast at f/2.8 and it is not that big or heavy. And yes, it has lovely bokeh. It is no wonder they used this lens as a basis for the 120mm APO Summarit S. This one is in superb condition with the box (I can't find the leather case at the moment though...I will send it if I can find it). Asking 1850.

180mm f/2.8 APO Elmarit ROM. One of the finest telephoto lenses ever -- it is the sharpest R lens I own (which is saying a lot), and perhaps only the 280mm f/4 APO is a sharper lens. It is one of the sharpest lenses in all of 35mm photography. The lens is more usable than the Summicron, as it is much smaller and lighter, and it has very smooth, quick and light internal focusing. This is a great lens for fashion, portraits, wildlife or even video on the 5D mk II...Asking 3200. Comes with the box, but no case. If I find it, I will send it on. Great for action! http://stuartrichardson.com/puffin-landing.jpg

2x APO converter, 3 cam. Works very well, particularly with the 180/2.8 APO. Asking 550.

Leica Motor Drive with battery. Great condition -- this is a really well-designed motor drive that can pop on and off mid roll. It will do 5 fps, but is best for its great ergonomics, handgrip and design. For example, pulling out the advance lever halfway will disengage the winder for that particular shot. It will also do auto bracketing, and has a secondary release for portrait shots. Mine comes with the Really Right Stuff Arca plate. The battery is not as fresh as new, but lasts a long time (I have never had it fail on me). Asking 600.

So, please buy it all!

Stuart Richardson

How about some offers, before it goes to eBay...I can't promise I will take it, but if it is comparable to eBay or KEH, I am happy to listen. I think these prices are pretty reasonable....

Double Negative

Not Available
If I wasn't wrapped up in so many other platforms, I'd be tempted to clean you out. Always wanted to try the R system, and this is pretty much The Best Of. But alas...

Stuart Richardson

Ok, everything is sold except the R9 and the motor drive. I am willing to take 850 for the R9, and 500 for the motor drive...or 1200 for both!
They are in great shape...