The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Konica Hexanon 60/1.2 lens

kebebe

How does that compare to 50/1.2 Lens? I know the 60 is rare but optical wise? I am getting a 50 and already have a 35/2 UC.

Any info will be nice!

leicashot

Knowing your buying habits and power Kebebe, I don't need a competitor like you looking for this lens....so, lets just say its an overpriced dog lens and I only really want it to go with my Hexar RF ;)

kebebe

i am not thinking of buying the 60. i am sticking with 50mm. i am just trying to find out if i should get the 50 1.2 konica and experience the difference from the Noct.95, lux asph, and canon 1.2.

leicashot

Kebebe, i think we both know that if a 60 came up right now you'd jump on it ;)

The 50mm has a very different rendering to any lens I've used. Its very distinct and looks like a painting. Its not crazy but keeps bokeh in very small swirls, unlike the lux ASPH which smooths everything out into larger swirls, if that makes sense. They are known to have focus issues on some M bodies so calibration may be needed. The Hex 50 is just about the best built M lens I've ever felt, possibly better than the Noct...yes thats right.

kebebe

btw, i am buying gear not for the sake of collection but being able to use them so resale is not my main objective. i am new to leicas since mid last year and trying to learn the wonderful ways why having multiple 50s or 35s or any focal length DO render differently.

leicashot

btw, i am buying gear not for the sake of collection but being able to use them so resale is not my main objective. i am new to leicas since mid last year and trying to learn the wonderful ways why having multiple 50s or 35s or any focal length DO render differently.
No need for justification Kebebe. We're glad to have you around scooping up all the best gear ;)

I'm glad to hear you're using and enjoying the gear, cause thats what its made for. 50mm lenses are exciting lenses cause they're all so different and interesting. if you happen to find a 60mm, let me know...or let me know how good it is when you have it ;)

kebebe

i just bought the 50mm konica and the guy has a 60. I asked for you and he is not interested to sell now. he is in USA. i got the 50 from ebay and i am sure you can get his info. good luck on the 60. i only read about it in asia websites from steve lee. maybe more opportunity for you to search there.

leicashot

i just bought the 50mm konica and the guy has a 60. I asked for you and he is not interested to sell now. he is in USA. i got the 50 from ebay and i am sure you can get his info. good luck on the 60. i only read about it in asia websites from steve lee. maybe more opportunity for you to search there.
I've been looking, trust me, but cannot seem to find one...and I've been looking for some time now :(

I know the lens you bought. i was considering it. Looks like a winner with the box

kebebe

he has 2 more 50 and i think he might sell one more. i paid $2599. Not sure it is fair current values. i was told by glycine also a member that the prices has gone up doubled on these lens.

leicashot

he has 2 more 50 and i think he might sell one more. i paid $2599. Not sure it is fair current values. i was told by glycine also a member that the prices has gone up doubled on these lens.
Prices for excellent versions with no box went for $1700 before the price hikes. They NEVER come with the box so you did ok. Not a bargain, but considering its pretty good. Honestly in terms of build quality and performance its worth more than the Noct IMHO.

ashwinrao1

Kevebe is a great guy. So is Kristian ;)....

I, thankfully, am not in the market for one of those lovely lenses, though the work I have seen from Peter (prosophos), Dana Voss, Raaj over at DP Review, and Yanidel show that this lens is quite capable. Bokeh is a bit more geometric (highlights become circularish), giving it a definitive look to images....It's a mix of gentle classic and more modern elements to the sharp parts of the image....I have never tried the 50 mm f/1.2, but I am guessing that the image rendering is similar, due to similar lens vintage and similar focal lengths. However, the 60 hex is a RARE beast, I think only several hundred were ever made....

I think there are a few people on the look beside you guys (Steve Huff, I think, and a couple others), but not me LOL....too pricey a lens, since I already have the Noct f/.95 and wouldn't sell it for a hexanon...

As for Kebebe, I have spoken with him, great guy...just looking to try lenses out and see what fits, and has the budget to do this. My guess is that eventually, some of the less used gear will come open again down the road once photographic tastes have become more clear....I did a similar move, and of course, have ended up with aspherical (i.e. expensive) taste LOL

Best of luck to both of you dueling hex-lusters, though....LOL....

kebebe

i know no bargains anymore when people start looking for any lens supplies vs demands. no such thing some estate sales that you walk in and cleanup all goodies for pennies for a dollar.

leicashot

Kevebe is a great guy. So is Kristian ;)....

I, thankfully, am not in the market for one of those lovely lenses, though the work I have seen from Peter (prosophos), Dana Voss, Raaj over at DP Review, and Yanidel show that this lens is quite capable. Bokeh is a bit more geometric (highlights become circularish), giving it a definitive look to images....It's a mix of gentle classic and more modern elements to the sharp parts of the image....I have never tried the 50 mm f/1.2, but I am guessing that the image rendering is similar, due to similar lens vintage and similar focal lengths. However, the 60 hex is a RARE beast, I think only several hundred were ever made....

I think there are a few people on the look beside you guys (Steve Huff, I think, and a couple others), but not me LOL....too pricey a lens, since I already have the Noct f/.95 and wouldn't sell it for a hexanon...

As for Kebebe, I have spoken with him, great guy...just looking to try lenses out and see what fits, and has the budget to do this. My guess is that eventually, some of the less used gear will come open again down the road once photographic tastes have become more clear....I did a similar move, and of course, have ended up with aspherical (i.e. expensive) taste LOL

Best of luck to both of you dueling hex-lusters, though....LOL....
The Hex 50 is a very different lens actually. Its bokeh is very different to other Hex lenses. Its hard to explain but its very nice, nicer than the Noct f/1 IMO.

kebebe

thanks ashwin. its always a pleasure to hear from you. i have a hard time selling stuff and still regret the noct f1.0 and the 35m lux I. I have been looking for a MINT 50 Noct f1.0 58mm version. Glycine just sold one on ebay and my other friend has one I tried. Maybe I try to get one as well.

60 hex is nice but somehow my brain is still on 50. Is the Nikkor f1.4 worth buying as well?

leicashot

thanks ashwin. its always a pleasure to hear from you. i have a hard time selling stuff and still regret the noct f1.0 and the 35m lux I. I have been looking for a MINT 50 Noct f1.0 58mm version. Glycine just sold one on ebay and my other friend has one I tried. Maybe I try to get one as well.

60 hex is nice but somehow my brain is still on 50. Is the Nikkor f1.4 worth buying as well?
Considering what you seem to go for in a lens the Nikkor lens, the millenium version won't give you anything more than your lux ASPH. A nice lens but kind of similar, though not as good from what i've seen, not having used the lens.

bluebook

I don't own either Hex but from what I can see, I really like 60 Hex. It reminds me a lot of Noct-Nikkor, my favorite 35mm lens thus far. I have been looking for it for a while now as well, but to no avail.

For the Nikkor, you may have to first ask whether you like Sonnar drawing style. If you do, I personally think it is the Sonnar to get (...although I am now looking for Canon 50mm 1.5, but please don't compete against me :p)

kebebe

I have a MINT Noct-Nikkor too but I don't see that it has contrast compared to 60 Hex from stephen lee's Flickr. Maybe I am not using my Noct-Nikkor correctly.

Too many lens to look for. One can only use one lens at a time. Thanks for the tip. I am not planning for the Canon. I was told be careful with Canon LTM since some have glue coming apart and ruining lens.

zombii

I have the Hex 60 on an Ebay search list. I got an email showing one had listed a couple of months ago for $5995. When I went to Ebay to look at the listing, it had already sold. It was there for a very short time and that's the only one I've seen come up for at least 6 months. It was more than I was willing to spend but it's kind of like going to the zoo to see the rare animal. ;)

I agree with Kristian about the Hex 50. Beautifully made with great ergonomics. It's the easiest to focus of all the fast lenses I've tried.

D&A

I had shot with the Hex 50mm f1.2 and as Kristian mentioned, it's certainly different than the 50mm Lux asph, especially how it draws and it's bokeh. I felt though that the Lux at f.4 did clearly out resolve the Hex at f1.4 but sharpness is of couse only one of a number of important optical parameters. I'd be interested to hear what others thought of theHex 50 vs. The 50mm Lux asph. I also has a chance to work with some full fez fiiles from the Hex 60mm...but that appeared to be quite a different beast, so to speak.

Dave (D&A)