The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 and lenses for sale

woodyspedden

I have the following for sale. A black M8 just recently returned from Leica service where the shutter and lens mount were replaced. So there are no more than 10 actuations on the shutter. There are two very small chips on the top plate........otherwise the body is mint.

All lenses are either near mint or like new. All come with UV/IR filters attached.

So take a look. Wonderful lenses here at very good prices for this quality level.

First up is the M8 Body. Price is $3400 or $3800 with the 21/24/28 finder and viewfinder magnifier.

Second up is the 28mm Black Summicron. Lens is like new except for slight burnishing of the lens hood. IMHO if you could only have one lens for the M8, this is the one.

Price for the 28 Cron is $2995

woodyspedden

Next up is the 50 cron in chrome silver. This lens is LNIB having rarely been used. I almost exclusively use the 50 Lux pre-asph for this focal length.

Price for the 50 Cron is $1295

woodyspedden

Next up is the 90 APO/Asph. This lens is also like new in box and is a chrome silver beauty.

Price for the 90 APO/Asph is $1895

woodyspedden

And here is the little sweet 90 macro. Also in Chrome silver this lens has so little usage it is virtually brand new.

Price for the 90 Macro is $995

woodyspedden

A near mint copy of the black 75 Lux. This lens captures the essence of the Leica look and is favored by many as the ultimate portrait lens in the M catalog.
The lens as shown is with the focusing aid from leica goodies

Price for the 75 Lux is $2850

woodyspedden

And the final submission is for a near mint copy of the 135 3.4 Apo Telyt lens. This lens, in black, is the longest lens (without Visoflex) in the M catalog.

Price for the 135 Apo Telyt is $1895.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This is a spectacular Leica lens selection. Good luck with your sale, Woody, but I'm sorry to see you selling your M8.

woodyspedden

Gotta ask why. Why sell all this. Must be that serious MF itch right?

Neil
Pretty much right Neil. After spending the kind of bucks I did for the H3DII-39, and after seeing the results, the H3 is my landscape camera of choice. And for all images that will ultimately be printed large.

For general purpose work, including macro and telephoto and low light, the Nikon is just hard to beat. Granted the files are not up to M8 standards but close enough for what I need.

So the issue is whether it makes any economic sense to hold on to all this wonderful M series stuff. I am keeping my M6TTl's (2) and the M3 and a gaggle of CV lenses and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 pre-asph and the 85 Summarex. I will continue to shoot M shots, just not M8. So that is the logic.

Woody

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You can have my M8 when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.
That is unless a successor comes along... :)
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, Do you know something that we don't or is that just a general feeling :D ?
Nope, but I know Woody and I've seen his images from both systems... What I am alluding to is that for right now, the M8 is an excellent imaging tool and one Woody generated many excellent images from. Sure, his auto-everything Nikon is easier to use, but frankly the rangefinder is a different tool for different purposes... (And IMO the files from the Nikon are not nearly as nice to work with as the M8's...)

Moreover, even *IF* an M9 is released (which I doubt will be this year BTW), it is likely the IR leak issue will be resolved at the sensor. This means the M8 may be one of the only cameras viable for generating BOTH visible and IR images via appropriate filter selection, and thus makes it a pretty desirable imaging tool IMO...

Cheers,

woodyspedden

Well Jack, you may well be right. AS I stated earlier, this is not about anything negative about the M8 but rather that I now have a landscape tool in my H3 which allows me to do the work that I want. I know you remember the sunset shot of Half Dome from our workshop in Yosemite. I can't imagine the file would have been anything but better with the Hassy. It better be or I have truly wasted $40K+!

Frankly, I would love to keep all three systems but I can't really justify it. I do love the Nikons FOR WHAT THEY DO WELL but have never pretended the files are as good as the M8. But they fill the need for macro, telephoto, speed of shooting, high ISO performance etc that cannot be dealt with by either the M8 or the Hassy H3.

As I also said, I am not selling all of my lenses. I am keeping the CV's (12,15,25 snapshot, 35 1.2, and 35 1.4) and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre-asph, 50 elmar, and the wonderful 85 Summarex. I have three film bodies, two M6TTL and the M3 (with a still working Leicameter) so particularly for black and white I have the tools to create wonderful Leica images. Oh, and I forgot to mention I also have the Zeiss 28 and 35. Did I mention I had too many lenses!!! God I am sick.

And if I am wrong about the decision to sell the M8, I guess i will buy another. There are plenty to be had from dealer demos to pristine copies on the used market. I'll lose some money in the process but not seriously so. Frankly the 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre and the 85 Summarex will take care of 90% of my particular needs. So either with film or digital, I am still in Leica business.

By the way does this sound like a rationalization because i need the money for higher priority gear?.................Thought so!

Woody

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Woody,

I hear you on the glass and understand selling off the superfluous items, but frankly if it were me I would sell off two of your film bodies (probably both M6's) and keep the M8 --- in that way you have the best of all worlds :)

Cheers,

woodyspedden

O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody