The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Canon 50/2 LTM Collapsible with Hood

kermaier

Here's a pretty cool collector's item from the Canon rangefinder era: A collapsible 5cm f/2 Serenar lens in Leica screw mount, with caps and matching hood/filter set.

Both the lens and the hood are quite rare, having been in production only from 1947 to 1949. The hood is, if anything, even harder to find than the lens; even more so complete with its leather case and unmounted filter set.

The lens is in superb optical condition (just a few cleaning marks) and perfect mechanical condition, having returned from a CLA at DAG Camera in May of this year. There are some light scratches on the collapsible barrel (none through the chrome), and some minor usage marks. The diaphragm blades are clean, but show some wear. The rear cap has the correct "Made In Occupied Japan" engraving, and the front cap is a chrome "Canon" push-on cap (to be honest, I don't know if it's a 1940s original, or possibly a 1950s replacement). Interestingly, this early Canon lens has a non-click-stop aperture scale going from f/2 to f/11, and it turns in the opposite direction (Nikon-wise) from later Canon lenses (which go Leica-wise).

The hood is also in excellent condition, with a bit of dulling to the chrome finish, but no dings or dents. There are four unmounted glass filters (yellow, orange, red and blue) in superb condition. The filters event have the remnants of their original cellophane wrappers and two leatherette disks to protect the top and bottom from getting scratched in the case. (The case has only one minor flaw: one of the small leather straps that hold the stack of filters in place has pulled loose from its rivet.) The hood consists of three parts: a 40mm screw-in adapter ring; a screw-in filter retaining ring; and a push-on shade that fits over the filter retaining ring.

Given the rarity of this complete set and its condition, I'm asking $695 plus insured shipping.

For references, I'm active and have good feedback on Rangefinder Forum (same username) and my eBay ID is dogleg31.

Last edited:

kermaier

Thanks! I already feel a twinge of regret parting with this set, but it turns out I'm not really a Canon RF collector, and I already have two other vintage LTM 50mm f/2 collapsibles (a Summar and a Summicron) -- and three such is too many even for me!
::Ari

kermaier

Here's the obligatory picture of my dog, wide open and up close (good boy, for sitting still):

R-D1s @ ISO 200, unadjusted RAW conversion using Epson PhotoRAW.

kermaier

Still available, for now.
The Canon 50/3.5 Serenar collapsible that I sold last year on RFF for $195 was just re-sold on eBay for $569. :eek:
So, if there's no interest here, this 50/2 will be heading there soon.