The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Canon 400mm f/4 DO lens

AGeoJO

Does anybody have this lens and is considering of selling it? I would like to pick one up for an upcoming trip in a month or so. I had this lens before but I sold/traded it; silly me :(. Feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] your asking price and description of the condition, please. Images of the lens to show its condition and taken with the lens at wide open aperture would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Joshua

saxshooter

I've used two different ones and the 400mm f4 DO never did it for me. You found it to be sharp wide open? I always thought it was a bit soft (on both copies I had). I always preferred the 300 2.8 more. If you end up buying new and had an extra grand, check out the new 300mm 2.8 IS USM II. It's light weight.

AGeoJO

Thanks for your note. The copy I had didn't suffer from sharpness at wide open at all although the contrast was on the low side compared to a 300mm f/2.8 IS. I would like to use it for a regular trip plus 5-6 days at two wildlife National Parks in India in November. Weight and bulk are definitely important and I can't wait for the new 300mm; that's why I am in the market for a DO lens :D. We will see how this pans out.

Thanks again,
Joshua

saxshooter

don't neglect the 300mm f4 IS and 400mm f5.6 IS lenses either. They're compact and very sharp! (and only $1300).

I agree with the lower contrast on the 400mm f4 wide open... it's strange that the two we had weren't sharp either. Interesting how Canon only had two DO lenses for the longest time... the 70-300mm DO and the 400mm DO -- and then nothing. I always thought $6k for that lens was asking too much.

That new 300mm 2.8 IS II has slightly more contrast than it's predecessor. I was testing one from CPS for about two weeks. It works REALLY well with the new 1.4 and 2x extenders.

Good luck!

RGoldman

One of my favorite lenses! I guess I got lucky and got an extraordinary copy because it's sharp wide open and handles both TC's quite well. Good luck in your search!

Ron

AGeoJO

Thank you, guys! I am still in the market for this lens but I am considering all options out there. Please let me know if you are considering selling yours or if you know of somebody that is considering that move.

Joshua