Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's get some things straight RE: Condition

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let's get some things straight RE: Condition

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    I certainly don't collect, I turn over cameras every 3-4 years. I use them all, and all tend to leave me in the same condition they arrived (except maybe the M9 with 1 or 2 marks), not sure what other people are doing to their cameras to wear them down so much.
    Awww, c'mon now you are just being insulting. Everybody uses their gear differently. Same with cars. Some people you could eat off the hood of their car at any given time because they fawn over it so much. To my wife's chagrin I'm not that way - it's a way to get from point A to point B and I make sure the oil is changed etc.

With cameras I'm somewhere in between. I use them, and I maintain them. And they tend to stay with me longer than 3-4 years. But often when I'm working fast lenses get piled up in the bag, camera swung into chairs, etc etc. I don't baby them while getting the job done.

Sometimes I prefer to buy a piece of cosmetically user gear and save $. I'm not a fondler. But the price should reflect the condition. That's the bottom line. But how somebody wants to treat their gear is their business. Just be sure you get good pics, etc and the right price. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

As a community service, I thought I'd provide a cheat sheet on how to interpret typical sale ads.

• Mint+: I do not know how to grade equipment
    • Mint: Ex+ to Mint- if you are lucky
    • Minty: Kinda sorta nice but don't hold me to it
    • As-New: Like a display sample from Best Buy or Target
    • Like New In Box: See "As-New", but with a box
    • Includes blank warranty card: But not a valid factory warranty
    • Average / typical for age: You look like a glutton for punishment
    • "It appears to be working": And the sun appears to revolve around the Earth
    • "It worked the last time I tried it": In 1969
    • "I don't know much about this": And yet I will charge you top dollar for it

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, your cheat sheet is fun to read, but I don't think it helps the community.. maybe I missed the smiley face somewhere.

Anyhow, pictures can probably solve 9/10 problems when it comes to online sales.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I love your cheat sheet I see 'mint' so many times on ebay and then "only one or two marks" later in the description and then the pictures show a user condition item haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYGTAFOTO View Post
    Anyhow, pictures can probably solve 9/10 problems when it comes to online sales.
    Ironically, some really excellent gear seems to get photographed in a dimly-lit closet using a cell phone that may have been a decent picture-taker before it got dropped for the third time. Not that it really matters since the photo was taken at 1/8th sec. Handheld.