The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica M 50mm "50 Jahre" anniversary silver Summicron set in pristine condition

Don Hutton

FS: Leica M 50mm "50 Jahre" anniversary silver Summicron set in pristine condition

This is probably the most desirable Leica M 50mm Summicron ever made - the "50 Jahre" anniversary edition in the highly desirable silver chrome finish. According to Leica lens expert Irwin Puts, these 50 Jahre Summicrons were made to slightly tighter specs than any others ever produced, while optically, it is identical to the current model:

"The 50 year Summicron version
Optically this version is identical to the current version, introduced in 1979. (Generation 4). I compared a Summicron #3650186 ( my own) with a Special Edition #3952197 and on the bench they performed identically. Optically the current Summicron can still claim to be the world's best 50mm lens. This is not the same as saying that the Summicron 50mm is the best lens in the world. it is a very versatile lens, that performs very well in close up and infinity settings and at intermediate distances and at every aperture. You can use it without reservation at f2 and 70cm and can expect excellent quality. In some conditions, especially when you take pictures against a large, very clear sky, that functions as a large soft box, you can see some flare (hot spots) in the middle of the image.

A comparison of the mount shows that the SE version has a different mount. The standard Summicron has an inner and an outer mount (helix) that both move relative to each other. In the new mount there are the same helix constructs, but now two pins fix and guide the movement.
The SE version has a very smooth and even movement and its mechanical engineering is of a very high level. As example: the infinity setting (collimator check) has an official tolerance of 0.02mm. This tolerance is often exceeded by Voigtlander and Konica lenses and to be honest, sometimes a Leica lens is close to the limit. The Summicron Rigids I tested had indeed tolerances that could be mesured in a few hundreds of a mm. The SE version was within 0.003mm of the norm. That is 3 thousands of a mm and so a factor of 10 better than previous versions.
There will be of course a debate whether the Rigid version or the SE version is mechanically the best: for choice of material and accuracy of machining the SE wins. But the deep satin glow of the Rigid finish has its own attraction.
The current Summicron offers performance that exceeds the capabilities of most users. The SE version adds a retrolook and will fit the MP seamlessly. On my M7 the SE looks very good and has some elegance the normal version lacks."

It is a gorgeous lens and this example is in fantastic condition - no flaws - perhaps just the very slightest signs of use. Optics and mechanics are 100%; cosmetics are at least 99%... (I like to be conservative in descriptions). Includes original boxes, packaging, leather lens case, silver front cap, Leica plastic rear cap, hood and hood cover and original papers as shown in the photos. Everything is there.

The lens focuses accurately on my M9-P at all distances wide open. $3000 including insured lower 48 shipping. I will ship elsewhere at cost. I will accept Paypal if you cover the costs. Otherwise, bank check or MO.

nanthor

Re: FS: Leica M 50mm "50 Jahre" anniversary silver Summicron set in pristine conditio

Beautiful lens Don, GLWS. Bob.

bradhusick

Re: FS: Leica M 50mm "50 Jahre" anniversary silver Summicron set in pristine conditio

I owned one of these and it's a wonderful lens. Should sell quickly.

jamriman

This is a sweet lens, I wish I still had mine.