The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Contax C/Y, Leica R Converted to M42 – 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/2.8, 50/2.0, 90/2.8

vdeakin

For sale is a personal collection of C/Y and R mount lenses professionally converted to the universal M42 mount and a few remaining M42 mounting plates so that somebody else can manage a similar conversion of the extant bargains in Contax C/Y and Leica R mounts to M42.
The purpose of this undertaking was rather obvious – M42 lens can be adapted to almost any camera; especially for the likes of Sony Alpha or Sigma SA, which simply cannot be adapted to C/Y or R lenses, M42 becomes the only practical way of using these wonderful optics (yes, Sigma SD1 was heavily on my mind).
I’ve factored in one hundred dollars for the plate and the conversion (though it cost me way beyond that, as I’m trying to recoup my expenses to finance another silly idea) in addition to an average Ebay price.
The plates are machined from black anodized aluminum. The lenses look and behave as if they were born this way in terms of clicks and infinity focus.
A note on clicks – for the C/Y conversions the clicks are identical to the old way since it’s accomplished by the aperture plate with holes going over a bearing ball independent of the mounting plate. In the Leica case, the ball rolls from one indentation in the mounting plate to another. As much as we tried to duplicate those indentations, it was not 100% perfect – the half-stop clicks are still there but a little less precise than in the old lens.
Also, not being a bayonet, the lens, once in the M42 adapter may not align to a perfect 12 o’clock position but maybe somewhere between 11:30 and 12:30 (These things are difficult to nail down with a thread before drilling holes; 12:30 is actually easier to see).
All lenses are in excellent mechanical and optical condition, no scratches, marks, fungus. I’ll eat the PayPal fees, though checks are o.k. too, but the shipping with insurance would be extra. Here they are:
1) Contax Distagon 28mm f2.8 with both caps - $425.00 + shipping
2) Contax Planar 50mm F1.7 with both caps - $315 + shipping
3) Contax Sonnar 85mm F2.8 with both caps - $410 + shipping
4) Leica (formerly R) Summicron 50mm F2.0 with a rear cap and a clip-on hood (half-pictured and sold lately on Ebay for $138) - $525 – plus shipping
5) Leica (formerly R) Elmarit 90mm F2.8 with both caps - $500 – plus shipping
6) 4 (four) M42 mounting plates for Contax C/Y lenses, three are for MM type and one for AE (MM differs from AE by the positioning of screws in the mounting plate). The Planar 50/1.7 and Sonnar 85/2.8 sometimes come in AE version. The MM types could be identified by the green minimal aperture number. Make sure you see screws on the back of the mounting plate - some latest Contaxes have no screw holes on mounting plates. Each plate - $45.00, or all for $150.00
7) 2 (two) M42 mounting plates for Leica R lenses, one is a hybrid with a back of the original R mount and native aperture indentations - $100.00 each

For those who choose the plates, I’ll provide further instructions and answer any questions. It’s not that difficult; just do not let that bearing ball jump off the table.
I’m new at this forum, but you can check my feedback on Ebay (also as ‘vdeakin’).
E-mail or call if you have any question. You can reach me at v_deakin at yahoo dot com, or call 847 eight hundred eight two seven three. I prefer to sell within the USA.
Regards and thanks, Victor

vdeakin

When I said 'one lonely Contax .. remains', I meant lonely in Zeiss terms - they do not mix with Leicas, you know. But the Summicron and the Elmarit are still there and could be had both for $950.00 (almost for the price of one or 1/2 price of one in M mount).

vdeakin

All four C/Y M42 mounting plates and one Leica R mounting plate are sold.
Prices for all the remaining lenses (the Planar, the Summicron and the Elmarit) are decreased by $25.00.

vdeakin

New update to pricing before venturing into other sales venues:
Planar 50/1.7 - $275.00
Summicron 50/2.0 (w/clip-on hood) - $459.00
Elmarit 90/2.8 - $459.00
These prices include PP fees and shipping within Continental USA.
Also, American buyers have 10 days to return the purchase if it doesn't function properly for full refund (sans PP and shipping fees).

vdeakin

The Planar 50/1.7 is sold.
If somebody is interested in both remaining Leica lenses, I'll consider $800 plus all the fees (PP + insured shipping)

vdeakin

Mike, I believe you can get this plate from Leitax for one or two C/Y focal lengths of MM type. It's made of shiny stainless steel, and it should work for any MM type, but Leitax sells it for those that allow to unscrew the aperture lever or where it's not in the way of the M42 plate, as opposed to cutting it off, which is unacceptable to Leitax, but perfectly o.k. with some less scrupulous types like myself. The Distagon 28/2.8 I had had that lever screwed in. I do not believe Leitax has any M42 for AE type (different holes).
I do not believe anybody developed M42 paltes for Leica R mount, except yours truly.

vdeakin

Well, it’s time to resurrect the sale thread (assuming it’s legal and the forum allows to do so) after a 4 months hiatus. For some reason the Leica based items: the Summicron and the Elmarit and the M42 plates for R mount - have not sold in the midst of winter. But maybe it was meant to be – We’ve got spring, if not summer temperatures here in Midwest, the Sigma SD1 is now down to $2300, Sony and Pentax issued more cameras; and, whoever’s got any of the mentioned three brands (which cannot be adapted to Leica R lenses) now has a second chance to have a Summicron or an Elmarit or both in M42.
I’ve looked up Ebay completed sales. Most Summicrons sold around $400 (and there was a $500 one), most didn’t have a hood and none were M42 converted.
As to the Elmarits, there was one under $400 with a haze, but the rest were over 4 or 5 hundred dollars, and none were M42 converted.
The spring special is as follows:
Summicron - $430, Elmarit - $459, the plates are $100 apiece or $160 for both; the shipping and PP fees extra.

Gbealnz

Victor.
Is the modification reversible? In other words, if I tired of using the Summicron (or Elmarit) in M42 mode, could I return the lenses to R series cameras for use?
Gary

vdeakin

Gary, the only damage I did to the lenses was to shorten the vertical aperture lever by clipping it off because it was in the way of the M42 plate. I would think it should still function if returned to R mount though it may not stop at 2 (2.8) or 22. You'd have to watch it. In any way, that would be a possibility for one lens only because I filed off one of the R mounts and made it a bottom for one of my M42 plates (see last two photos). The reversibility was never a concern to me since M42 is much more versatile and usable than R mount - you can even use it with an adapter on Leica M or Ricoh GXR rather than pay 5 times as much for an identical M Summicron. But, if you do plan a return to R mount, I would think you'd have little difficulty swapping these rather unique M42 versions for the native ones - think of all those owners of Sigma, Sony and Pentax waking up from slumber and grasping at a chance of being attached to a Leica.
Regards,
Victor

vdeakin

I've forgotten to mention in the latest spring sale announcement that residents of North America can return a purchased lens within 10 days for full refund (sans shipping and PP fees) if it disappoints for some reason. Infinity focus comes to mind, though in my case both lenses had a perfect infinity focus on my Pentax DS2.