The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS - Leica Tri Elmar 28-35-50 mm f/4 E55

rmeskill

I actually purchased this MATE off Ashwin here on GetDPI just a few months ago. He wrote a great review of the lens (with as near as I can tell the lens I'm selling here, though I doubt that'll amount to any 'star value'!) at Steve Huff Photo (http://bit.ly/vJbc4W), but on to the lens itself. I bought it to shoot a wedding and if I was going to keep doing them I'd definitely keep it, but I have no more wedding plans for the foreseeable future and I find I haven't put it in my bag since, preferring the speed of my 28 elmarit, 35 cron and 50 lux to the f4 of the MATE. It's a great lens for what it is, I just find I prefer faster lenses with less DOF for day-to-day shooting so I'd rather lighten my bag and put the money into something I'd use more.

This is the first (E55) version of the lens and it's in overall excellent shape. There's some light paint loss on the backside of the lens just on the focusing rings, but you can't see it once the lens is mounted and it obviously doesn't affect picture quality. Also some light paint loss around the bottom of the front filter ring flare-again minor.

Comes with a B+W UV MRC filter that I was told was on the lens from day 1, and it sure seems so-not even a speck of dust behind it, let alone any scratches or imperfections in the glass. Just to clarify-optics-front and rear-are pristine. There are only a few light specks of dust in the elements that are only visible with a bright flashlight and there's no oil on the blades.

Focus throw was advertised as ever so slightly sticky when I bought the lens-I've never found it offensive, but it does take just a bit extra to get the focus ring moving. Focusing, for that matter, was spot on with my M9 at all focal lengths. Aperture clicks are smart and accurate.

$3,300 for the lens-I'll cover insured shipping. Pictures to follow shortly.

rmeskill

I hope Ashwin forgives me for reusing his pictures, but unfortunately my M9 being my only non-phone digital camera, macro shots aren't exactly easy...

ashwinrao1

I can vouch for both Ryan (Great person to deal with) and the lens, which I found worked brilliantly on the M9. This is a very rare lens that doesn't become available very often. It's mechanics are one of the most complex ever designed for a RF mount lens. I enjoyed using it for 2 years, and agree that while it's not a lens for everyone, it's near perfect for those willing to live with f/4 and 1 m minimal focal length. Perfect for travel and daylight shooting!

Best of luck with the sale, Ryan!