The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 203FE + 205TCC Converted to Digital

PSon

In a time of constant digital changes, the Hasselblad V cameras system continue to be a constant reliable tools for professional and fine art photographers and quickly becoming a classic system. Furthermore, focal length per focal length these Hasselblad Carl Zeiss FE lens are the best I have worked with in terms of bokeh, extremely close up focus and high resolution, chromatic aberration control especially for digital medium and the Superachromat lens has the most perfect lively colors and clarity I have seen. The Leica Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH 2.8/35-70 ROM and the Rollei Super-Angulon HFT 4.5/55 PCS are the other lens that reminded me the rich colors and clarity of these Superachromat lens. Base on my experiences it appears to me that when the colors are lively and accurate these lens also yield extremely high clarity like diamond quality.

I decided that I will only need 2 of these Hasselblad cameras instead of 4 so here is a pair of housing for your great Hasselblad Carl Zeiss 200 series FE lens. I would like to sell both cameras in pair since they are great complementary to one another. The 203FE has average light meter; it works extremely fast and accurate and thus very popular for casual shooting style. The 205TCC has SPOT ZONE light meter thus giving you the ultimate metering capability in extremely difficult light. Despite the built in camera meter is a reflective system, however since the 205TCC is a SPOT ZONE meter offering the function to override the prone reflective metering error; it's virtually a SPOT AMBIENT light meter in the hand of a ZONE SHOOTER. These two cameras will give your FE lens their full designed functionality with metering and are unique with further detail descriptions below:

1. Hasselblad 203FE Chrome Converted to Digital CFV Back + Waist Level Finder
Condition: Mint and is a Store Demo Unit with box and manual
Price: $3500

2. Hasselblad 205TCC Chrome Converted to Digital CFV Back + Magnifying Hood
Condition: Mint-; the back of the camera has the imprint from Hasselblad "DEMO." This unit was used at the shows like Photokina, PhotoPlus and other shows.
Price: $3500

Important Note: both cameras just got converted to digital and has been fully inspected for any light leaks and updated to the latest hardware components for digital compatibility and mechanical functions. Thus the service is warranted for 6 months.

One last note: I would like to sell both of these cameras here at GetDPI community first before listing elsewhere.

Last edited:
D

dan02

hello Son,

I am new to Digital Medium format (I use till now films)

Since you have 205TCC and 203FE for sale for the same price, could you please describe briefly the difference between the two?

"Converted to Digital CFV Back" how much is a used CFV back and where to get it?

thanks

dan

PSon

hello Son,

I am new to Digital Medium format (I use till now films)

Since you have 205TCC and 203FE for sale for the same price, could you please describe briefly the difference between the two?

"Converted to Digital CFV Back" how much is a used CFV back and where to get it?

thanks

dan
Dan,

The 205TCC has a unique spot zone system. It also offer spot reflective metering in auto mode as well. However, if you want to learn the zone system you will appreciate how accurate and reliable the spot zone mode is comparing to the reflective spot or center averaging meter. The spot zone meter will not be affected in any way even with crop factor digital sensor. There are two books briefly teaches you how to shoot spot zone in difficult light (one for B&W and one for Color Zone) which I will include with the sale of both cameras.

The 203FE has the average reflective meter but it is very accurate for fast action in an overall good 18% gray average scene. This is popular for fast shooting style.

The CFV backs are readily available and the prices are more precise with the latest update from your local medium format dealers.

-Son

David K

Workshop Member
Son,
You never cease to amaze me with your supply of top notch equipment. Someone is going to get some beautiful gear here. I'm just trying to resist temptation to make sure it isn't me :)

jlm

Workshop Member
let me add to the praise; i bought another 206tcc and cfv back from Son. a spectacular outfit.

by the way, should one of your buyers need it, i have the 80mm FE lens, also from Son, that i am looking to sell.

PSon

let me add to the praise; i bought another 206tcc and cfv back from Son. a spectacular outfit.

by the way, should one of your buyers need it, i have the 80mm FE lens, also from Son, that i am looking to sell.
Jim,
the Planar T* 2.8/80 FE you got from me is the best I have seen and it can also focus quite close up. The lens is very small and compact and would make an excellent traveling kit. How much are you asking for your 80mm?

Son

PSon

Son,
You never cease to amaze me with your supply of top notch equipment. Someone is going to get some beautiful gear here. I'm just trying to resist temptation to make sure it isn't me :)
David,
You know this is one of my favorite system ever and perhaps one day you will own one yourself.
Best Regards,
-Son

PeterA

Son I am back from vacation on Tuesday will contact you then about one of these cameras.!!

PeterA

Hi Son - I am back from vacation. Could you please post a picture of the cameras you are selling please?

Since you have had them converted for digital use - is there any functionaity regarding film useage that is lost and do they come with a film back?

I have never used a Hassleblad 200 series camera or lenses - and thus am not familiar with their workings. I have bought few FE lenses 50/150/250 as well as the 110 I bought from Jack and I haev a 120 Makro planar CFi.

I know I can use the FE lenses with a converter on Mamiya with my Phase One back - but am seriously considering buying a CFV11 back to put on this system or a normal 500 series system as prices are now down to DSLR ranges and I prefer shooting with MFD.

I am also interested in rounding out kit with a 40 and a tele so let me know if you have anything for sale regarding these lenses as well

Kind regards
Pete

PSon

hi Peter,
here are the images for the 203FE you requested. The Hasselblad focusing screen is the brightest and crispest of all the medium format system I have seen including the Rollei 6008 and Hy6 when mounting the same lens on such as the Carl Zeiss Planar HFT 2.0/110 PQ and T* 2.0/110 FE.
Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

The 205TCC also comes with the A12 film magazine. The Hasselblad Distagon T* 4.0/40 CFE IF is also available for $5K and it is a USA control lens brought brand new. I used the lens a few times only indoor for testing thus it is considered like new with all the original boxes and leather pouch.

Last edited:

PSon

Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar T* 4.0/180 CFE
Condition: Brand New
Price: $3200 (only at GetDPI forums elsewhere $3600)

I do not open up the leather case since the lens is brand new

fotografz

Hi Son - I am back from vacation. Could you please post a picture of the cameras you are selling please?

Since you have had them converted for digital use - is there any functionality regarding film usage that is lost and do they come with a film back?

I have never used a Hassleblad 200 series camera or lenses - and thus am not familiar with their workings. I have bought few FE lenses 50/150/250 as well as the 110 I bought from Jack and I have a 120 Macro planar CFi.

I know I can use the FE lenses with a converter on Mamiya with my Phase One back - but am seriously considering buying a CFV11 back to put on this system or a normal 500 series system as prices are now down to DSLR ranges and I prefer shooting with MFD.

I am also interested in rounding out kit with a 40 and a tele so let me know if you have anything for sale regarding these lenses as well

Kind regards
Pete
Peter, these 200 series cameras can shoot film as well as digital. However, once the camera has been modified to use the CFV digital back, the "e" type film backs no longer communicate ISO settings to the camera. So, you have to manually program the film ISO being used into the camera. That means you could use the more common "A" type film back which do not have the "e" data bus contacts. "e" backs also work if you input the ISO, but tend to be a bit more expensive than the "A" type. "A" type film backs come in A12, A16 (645), and A24 ... which indicate the amount of frames available using 120 film (A12 & A16) or 220 film (A24).

BTW, the 200 series in-camera TTL meter works with any V lens ... "C" or "F" type, so a meter prism is not necessary like it is with a 500 series camera.

The 500 series CFE lenses have the "e" data bus contacts on the lens to communicate with the 200 series cameras, so when they are set to the "F" mode they act exactly like a shutterless FE lens. So, if you get one of these cameras, look to build the the lens system with FE and CFE versions when possible. Son's 40IF and 180 are CFEs ... and there are no counterparts to these focal lengths in F or FE lenses. They both are stunning in optical performance and considered among the top of the heap in the "C" line up of Zeiss lenses.

The other advantage of CFEs are use with the H camera using the CF adapter ... CFEs are automatically recognized by the H camera and require no manual input like C, CF, and CFi lenses do.

PSon

The original manual for the 203FE is included and 205TCC manual is substituted with the original 205FCC manual:

PSon

I will include pdf files for the 205FCC Zone Photography in Color and in B&W books. Below are samples of these useful books.

PeterA

Son thank you for your pictures. I am thinking that the 205 is teh way to go. Will let you know soon.
Marc- thank you too for your overview - as usual extremely helpful and much appreciated.

Pete

PSon

Thanks Marc for the details information and it is a comprehensive one.

Peter, the Hasselblad 205 spot zone camera is my all time favorite camera. It is a classic and quite compact for a medium format camera.

Best Regards,
-Son