Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back

Post Thanks / Like

WTB: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back

I am looking to buy a digital back for my 205TCC...

If anyone has a good deal, please let me know...

I prefer CFV39 or CFV50, but I'll also look into the possibility of getting CFV16.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paul,

Good luck finding a used one....these seem to be very hard to find on the used market. Someone here on GetDPI recently bought a CFV-16 on eBay by mistake (he thought it was a CFV-39). Search the forum....who knows, he might be interested in selling it.

Gary
    CFV-16 II

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't CFV16 a 1.5x crop factor, as to CFV39 a 1.1x?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know the CFV-16 is 1.5x and I think you're right about the CFV-39, but I can't say for sure.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is that i won't be able to have a wide angle lens with CFV16....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paul25 View Post
    My only concern is that i won't be able to have a wide angle lens with CFV16....
    Yup, that's definitely a problem, depending on how wide you want to go. My 40mm CFE IF lens, when used with a 6x6cm film back, is equivalent to a 22mm lens on a 35mm camera. When used on my CFV-16 the field of view is equivalent to a 33mm lens on a 35mm camera.....still wide, but not ultra wide.

Gary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like my CFV11-16 and its fat pixels. I am told they aren't worth anything to anyone - but find that those who wish t buy one can't find one...strange.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

PeterA,

Very true...they are the most elusive DB out there.

The crop factor is great though, if you shoot portraits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Yup, that's definitely a problem, depending on how wide you want to go. My 40mm CFE IF lens, when used with a 6x6cm film back, is equivalent to a 22mm lens on a 35mm camera. When used on my CFV-16 the field of view is equivalent to a 33mm lens on a 35mm camera.....still wide, but not ultra wide.

Gary.
    Quick question...
    If I use 40CFE IF on CFV-39 as square format, what would be its field of view in 35mm format?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quick question...
    If I use 40CFE IF on CFV-39 as square format, what would be its field of view in 35mm format?
    Here's a link to a brochure and specs on the CFV-39.

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/media/19...tasheet_v1.pdf

According to this document, the cropped square sensor size for the CFV-39 is the same size as the native square sensor size of the CFV-16 (36.7x36.7mm)....so the field of view should be the same for both backs when comparing square format images. However, with the CFV-39 you get more resolution (29mp vs 16mp).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like my CFV11-16 and its fat pixels. I am told they aren't worth anything to anyone - but find that those who wish t buy one can't find one...strange.
    Peter,

+1 to fat pixels!

I've had several people write saying that if I ever want to sell my CFV-16 II, they would like to be on the call back list. I'm sure you have too.

No doubt there will come a day when I'm ready to part with it, but not just yet. Even my wife says....don't sell it.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Gary...
    Thank you so much for the kind info...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I can't bear to part with my CFV16 either. For one, it produces the most ridiculous output out of anything I've ever used (sharp, colorful, blah blah). Secondly, I can't afford the next step in the program.

Nine micron pixels sure make every one of those 16MP count. Dang.

Paul, don't count the CFV16 out. Unless you need the resolution, it's darn good. Most of the images for La Vida Leica as far as product reviews, etc. are actually shot with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seriously considering it as well.
    The price difference between the CFV16 and 39 is so huge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Hasselblad website shows the CFV16 and CFV39 both as discontinued backs. But B & H still shows the CFV39 in stock. It may be very soon when you will only be able to buy a new CFV50 and used 16s and 39s.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just had a look at B&H myself and the CFV-39 is on sale until 11/30 for $12,595 (regularly $13,995). Alot of money for sure.

That's about what I paid for my 503CWD new....which included the 503CW body, WL finder, CFV-16 II back and the 40mm CFE IF lens. For a short period of time, Hasselblad included the 40mm CFE IF lens with the 503CWD package instead of the usual 80mm lens....for the same price. At that point, for me, resistance was futile.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course there are other good alternatives, if you don't mind using a cord to connect the back to the lens. A friend of mine is looking closely at the 22 and 28 megapixel Leaf Aptus II backs, both priced new at $7,990.....mainly because he can't find a CFV-16 or CFV-39 (and doesn't want to spend $13k).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the Hasselblad is working for a full frame square format....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We've all been hoping, wishing and dreaming of a full frame square sensor for a long, long time. In the same way many of us were hoping for a full frame digital Leica R10.......all for naught, I'm afraid.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everyone has to find out the right amount of megapixels for themselves. Even then - the number of megapixels is relevant for only two things- how much resolution do you need for the type for the type of work you like to shoot and how big will you (really) print your stuff. You indicated you have a 205TCC body and FE lenses that go with it - so you are in fact limited to using the CFV series back with this combination - unless you are happy to shoot permanently on the flash sync speed of 1/90th

If instead you had a 500 series camera - well as indicated above - many other digi backs are open to you.

MY CFV16 is stuck on the 205TCC or the 500 CWD and soon also to be used on an Alpa. Other great alternatives ( assuming you switch bodies) are the Leaf 5 at 22 megapixels or a used Phase One P25/25+ if you can find one.

The sticking point will be changing camera/lenses to be able to buy into more flexibility.

I would not reference the cost of a 40mm to the special price offered by Hasselblad when they were moving the CFV16 - it is irrelevant and implies an asking price for both this wonderful lens and great back - let alone a body of next to nothing. A lot of people have posted on here expecting people to sell them parts of this kit for next to nothing - and haven't got much success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Double Negative....your shots of the Leica gear taken with the CFV-16 are excellent!!

It's a great setup, for sure. There are times when I would like to have had ~22mp to work with, but 16mp will suffice for most of my needs. In any case, it's a nice camera to use.

My own 503CWD currently sports a PME45 finder with the 40mm CFE IF lens attached and lives in a Pelican 1510 roller case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Double Negative- nice site!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ben and Peter!

What I like about the CFV (over say Imacon or Phase) is that it matches perfectly to my 503CW and doesn't require a sync cable... Little details, but nice just the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take that pelican case...
    Just let me know a decent price..... Seriously...

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The photograph of the 503CWD is beautiful, dare I say sexy! This is perhaps the best looking combo of any MFD, that's available - and that sometimes gets photographers to shoot more...

Post Thanks / Like

Since this is such a vivid thread and people seem to crave for a "lower end" Hasselblad back, excuse me for advertising my CF-22, should anyone be interested.
    I do have the 2-way V-mount i-adpater for it which letīs you use it in landscape or portrait mode.
    It does have the same "fat" pixel, as does the CFV-16, just more of them on a 36x48mm sensor, so that you donīt loose your wideangle abilities.

My back just came back from Hasselblad in Denmark, where it got a new linkboard, uv-protection filter and was newly calibrated. This cost me roughly 2.500 $.

My asking price is in the 4.000-4.500 € range net to me.

PM me if interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll take that pelican case...
    Just let me know a decent price..... Seriously...
    I'll add your name to the call back list Paul, but I'm sure you will have found something long before I get around to making those calls.

In fact, chances are, when I do get around to selling it, people will say "CFV, what's a CFV? Never heard of it."

In response, just two words: "FAT PIXELS!".

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i used the 205 and CFV 16 for a couple of years and loved it. the only problem was the crop, large print limitations with 16mpx and using wide angles. i have always loved the square. then the CFV 39 came out and after a tortuous path, i move to that. The rectangular format was a PIA, i was too pixel stingy to crop to square, but that is really the right way to use the body.

if i were going back to the beloved V series, I would use film and scan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the great thing about this silly little square digi chip - it is square and it is little and the files are really tiny - but it packs a FAT punch. It is a lean mean fighting machine with no pretensions and no interest in the megapixel game - and yes it looks sexy and retro on the camera it was designed to be used on - and teases the best quality out of the center sweet spot of every lens that is fortunate enough to sit in front of it.