The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back

paul25

I am looking to buy a digital back for my 205TCC...

If anyone has a good deal, please let me know...

I prefer CFV39 or CFV50, but I'll also look into the possibility of getting CFV16.

bensonga

Hi Paul,

Good luck finding a used one....these seem to be very hard to find on the used market. Someone here on GetDPI recently bought a CFV-16 on eBay by mistake (he thought it was a CFV-39). Search the forum....who knows, he might be interested in selling it.

Gary
CFV-16 II

bensonga

I know the CFV-16 is 1.5x and I think you're right about the CFV-39, but I can't say for sure.

Gary

bensonga

My only concern is that i won't be able to have a wide angle lens with CFV16....:(
Yup, that's definitely a problem, depending on how wide you want to go. My 40mm CFE IF lens, when used with a 6x6cm film back, is equivalent to a 22mm lens on a 35mm camera. When used on my CFV-16 the field of view is equivalent to a 33mm lens on a 35mm camera.....still wide, but not ultra wide.

Gary.

PeterA

I like my CFV11-16 and its fat pixels. I am told they aren't worth anything to anyone - but find that those who wish t buy one can't find one...strange.

paul25

Yup, that's definitely a problem, depending on how wide you want to go. My 40mm CFE IF lens, when used with a 6x6cm film back, is equivalent to a 22mm lens on a 35mm camera. When used on my CFV-16 the field of view is equivalent to a 33mm lens on a 35mm camera.....still wide, but not ultra wide.

Gary.
Quick question...
If I use 40CFE IF on CFV-39 as square format, what would be its field of view in 35mm format?

bensonga

Quick question...
If I use 40CFE IF on CFV-39 as square format, what would be its field of view in 35mm format?
Here's a link to a brochure and specs on the CFV-39.

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/media/1928194/uk_cfv39_datasheet_v1.pdf

According to this document, the cropped square sensor size for the CFV-39 is the same size as the native square sensor size of the CFV-16 (36.7x36.7mm)....so the field of view should be the same for both backs when comparing square format images. However, with the CFV-39 you get more resolution (29mp vs 16mp).

Gary

bensonga

I like my CFV11-16 and its fat pixels. I am told they aren't worth anything to anyone - but find that those who wish t buy one can't find one...strange.
Peter,

+1 to fat pixels! :thumbs:

I've had several people write saying that if I ever want to sell my CFV-16 II, they would like to be on the call back list. I'm sure you have too.

No doubt there will come a day when I'm ready to part with it, but not just yet. Even my wife says....don't sell it. :bugeyes:

Gary

Double Negative

Not Available
Yeah, I can't bear to part with my CFV16 either. For one, it produces the most ridiculous output out of anything I've ever used (sharp, colorful, blah blah). Secondly, I can't afford the next step in the program. :D

Nine micron pixels sure make every one of those 16MP count. Dang.

Paul, don't count the CFV16 out. Unless you need the resolution, it's darn good. Most of the images for La Vida Leica as far as product reviews, etc. are actually shot with it.

BANKER1

The Hasselblad website shows the CFV16 and CFV39 both as discontinued backs. But B & H still shows the CFV39 in stock. It may be very soon when you will only be able to buy a new CFV50 and used 16s and 39s.

Greg

bensonga

I just had a look at B&H myself and the CFV-39 is on sale until 11/30 for $12,595 (regularly $13,995). Alot of money for sure.

That's about what I paid for my 503CWD new....which included the 503CW body, WL finder, CFV-16 II back and the 40mm CFE IF lens. For a short period of time, Hasselblad included the 40mm CFE IF lens with the 503CWD package instead of the usual 80mm lens....for the same price. At that point, for me, resistance was futile. :eek:

Gary

bensonga

Of course there are other good alternatives, if you don't mind using a cord to connect the back to the lens. A friend of mine is looking closely at the 22 and 28 megapixel Leaf Aptus II backs, both priced new at $7,990.....mainly because he can't find a CFV-16 or CFV-39 (and doesn't want to spend $13k).

Gary

bensonga

We've all been hoping, wishing and dreaming of a full frame square sensor for a long, long time. In the same way many of us were hoping for a full frame digital Leica R10.......all for naught, I'm afraid.

Gary