The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on Insuring Shipment - US to Europe

GDI

I need to ship a camera to Sweden, but the USPS will only allow $650 insurance -the camera value is $1550. I have used 3rd party insurance before (shipsurance) but they limit it to $1000.

How do people who ship fairly expensive items overseas deal with insurance? (Seems like USPS used to allow more insurance than that??)

Thanks!

L

Lux

Ship it Express Mail (EMS) and you can insure it for that amount.

Sparky16

OK, here's what I found.

The only way you purchase insurance on a package to Belgium with USPS above $650 is to use USPS Global Express Guaranteed. I calculated as if I'm sending a package myself, 5lbs weight, 12"x14"x16" the cost is $153.64 if printed with postage online, $169.15 at post office(worth do it online). Looks like a little bit cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

With USPS Express International, insurance amount is vary by individual countries. For many countries, up to $5000(Canada, Mexico most Asian countries), but almost all EU countries, it's limited to $650(to Germany it's $500!)

**If I were the seller(desperate), I'd just ship via USPS Express International, insured up to $650. It should be good enough. Post Offices in any country values and treat Express mail packages very carefully and as the most important piece of mail.

GDI

OK, here's what I found.

The only way you purchase insurance on a package to Belgium with USPS above $650 is to use USPS Global Express Guaranteed. I calculated as if I'm sending a package myself, 5lbs weight, 12"x14"x16" the cost is $153.64 if printed with postage online, $169.15 at post office(worth do it online). Looks like a little bit cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

With USPS Express International, insurance amount is vary by individual countries. For many countries, up to $5000(Canada, Mexico most Asian countries), but almost all EU countries, it's limited to $650(to Germany it's $500!)

**If I were the seller(desperate), I'd just ship via USPS Express International, insured up to $650. It should be good enough. Post Offices in any country values and treat Express mail packages very carefully and as the most important piece of mail.

Hummmm, Europe is riskier than Mexico, what does the Post Office know that we don't ?

I don't want to go with just $650, I have had problems before....

cmace127

I highly recommend getting some sort of insurance. I ran into an issue shipping to europe some time back when the customs officials actually broke the item, and refused the pay for repairs.

Chris Giles

It's the insurance that makes things expensive.
When I shipped a 1Ds3 to the US it was £60 for two day shipping and a further £85 insurance.

Sheldon N

Personally, I just pack well and ship with whatever insurance is available from USPS. I've sent lots of expensive things abroad to Canada/Australia with no issues. Yes, there is a risk but financially over the long run the risk of loss is much lower than what you'll pay in insurance fees.

GDI

I spoke with Shipsurance today and I found the best option, just to close the loop. I can actually insure from the post office for their max and then add the Shipsurance coverage, resulting in a total of the camera value. Total EMS and insurance is $85.

Not sure if my buyer is still interested, but at least I know how to do it for a less that outrageous price.

Thanks for all the advice

homeiss

Personally, I just pack well and ship with whatever insurance is available from USPS. I've sent lots of expensive things abroad to Canada/Australia with no issues. Yes, there is a risk but financially over the long run the risk of loss is much lower than what you'll pay in insurance fees.
I'm a little paranoid about shipping. I work as a courier, and though most packages reach their destination fine, sometimes packages just up and disappear...

I usually tape the whole exterior of the box so as to make it waterproof when shipping. I've seen boxes that got leaked on by another box that was stacked on top of it, completely destroying the lower boxes contents.

I would way rather pay for the insurance and have the peace of mind. However, I too have sent many expensive things and have never had to make a claim either so take my warning with a grain of salt. ;)