The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Price reduction, Leica (LTM) 73mm Hektor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With a headline like that, what could it be?

:D :D :D

The short story is I found another 73mm f1.9 Hektor gathering dust on a shelf in a camera shop. Since it appeared a bit cleaner externally than mine, I decided to buy it. It cleaned up fairly well and works as well as the first, and I don't need two of them! So I decided to offer my original copy to this group in case somebody is interested, before heading off to eBay.

Peruse the Leica M8 forum and you will find a few threads with images from this lens. Note it takes some extra effort to understand the nuances of this lens as each aperture setting renders a slightly different look, from almost unusably soft wide open to nearly as sharp as new lenses stopped down a bit. Below is a reference shot I took with this lens to show it's wide open character.

Included is the lens only. Note this is a 1932 vintage lens and shows years of use, though no abuse. The outer barrel shows lots of use and brassing; glass is uncoated and shows some slight, wispy cleaning marks if a light is shined through from the rear; as is normal with 1930's vintage lenses, there are a few air-bubbles in some of the glass elements; focus is relatively smooth; aperture operates smoothly and the blades are free of oil; there is no internal fungus or haze. Note that this is a LTM lens and needs an LTM to M adapter to use on an M camera. Oh, and this lens is also fairly small, being only about the size of a current 75 Summarit.

Asking $800 PayPal'd and shipped inside the US.

This 73 Hektor wide open on my M8:

And a 100% crop, (again wide open so this is the softest it is):

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: FS: Mount some Magic on your Leica!

man that has to be nice it is way older than I am. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Wow,
a brass lensbaby with a focusing scale!
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Ouch!

A lensbaby isn't even in the same universe optically, let alone league...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Actually,
MUCH better then a lens baby when stopped down just a tad.
Really a lovely lens.
View attachment 8067
-bob

Last edited:
V

Vivek

"Lens baby" is crap worth. The biggest scam in photo gear ever.

The Hektor is magic.:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Here are some images of the lens as requested -- as I indicated above, not too pretty on the outside. Price reduced to $800 before eBay:

Irenaeus

Jack —

Is there an opticlal viewfinder readily available to adapt this to an Epson RD1? Maybe a 105mm? How tough might it be to focus on the same?

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Irenaeus!

I honestly have no idea how it will work on an RD1, but I would think just fine. You can find 105 equivalent finders for some older Canon and Nikon screwmount lenses as well as a Leica version. However IIRC, the Leica version was made specifically for a "Mountain Elmar" and may be priced as a collectible. I think there is also an older Leica zoom multi finder that covers from 35-135. There are also some Russian finders that may cover and they should be inexpensive.

Here's an example of the Leica zoom finder: http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-VIOOH-Wet...:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4019wt_0