Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB: Kodak DCS Pro Back 645m

Post Thanks / Like

WTB: Kodak DCS Pro Back 645m

HI all,

Equiped in Mamiya 645 AFD, I'd like to find a used, second-hand, refurbished (anything goes as long as it works ) Kodak DCS Pro Back to start discovering the happy world of digital medium format photography.
    I'm not on a high-end budget, but willing to buy, and Paypal totally ok.
    Thanks!

Stef

ps: not mentionning the ZD or Leaf backs, but well, who knows...
    Last edited by kloud; 16th October 2008 at 07:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB: Kodak DCS Pro Back 645m

There are a couple of 645M Kodak Probacks on Ebay right now. Don't know if there are suitable for you or not, but worth a look.

I'd call or email Chris Lawery over at Capture Integration----I know they have a trade-in program, and may have some decent MFDBs that will work for you.

www.captureintegration.com

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken,

thanks for the tip. I've seen the ones on Ebay, and might go for them, just wondering if they are in the average price range one would normaly pay for a Kodak back.
    I'll check on your link at Capture Integration, thanks!

Stef

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that the one I saw on eBay is about 3800 Euro, but a brand-new Sinar e54LV is 6000 Euro, and has 22MP instead of 16MP, a larger sensor, and probably better high ISO. I would wait a little for the used back prices to slide, after the recent price drops on the new backs.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Keep in mind that the one I saw on eBay is about 3800 Euro, but a brand-new Sinar e54LV is 6000 Euro, and has 22MP instead of 16MP, a larger sensor, and probably better high ISO. I would wait a little for the used back prices to slide, after the recent price drops on the new backs.
    I didnīt see the recent price drop on new backs, but i saw a Mamiya ZD for around 5000 dollars on Ebay, and i guess this would be an interesting back to purchase at that price. When do you think that prices might go down a bit, and what are the chances to actually find an interesting back then?
    Letīs be patient then
    Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Jack F here - believe he had a ZD for sale under $5K. Also check Luminous Landscape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack's ZD back is FAR superior to the Kodak. Several generations later, and the IQ is much higher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack's ZD back sold in about 2 hours, sorry

Having used both backs, I'd have to agree that for virtually the same money, the ZD back is hugely superior to the DCS back. In addition to being 37x48 capture, it has superior noise characteristics and UI layout.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I also saw 2 P21's last week 1 went for 6,000.00 the other 6,500.00

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jack, Ron, Chuck and Barry

I have to agree with all of you, indeed, the ZD is far a better choice, there are several actually on Ebay, one which i might put my hand on (if there weren't those damn shipment issues between US and Europe, but well...)...
    I am not quite sure of the overall availibility of such backs on the market though, but i'll keep looking on forums. So far this one has been the most helpful, thanks to all!!

btw, is there a site/forum where digital back are compared? Barry you talked about P21, is it as/more interesting than the ZD? My main focus would be the portability on the field, travelling quite a bit, battery length, and overall technical specs to compare with...

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW! Is the ZD going to fit the Mamiya 645 afd? I keep on reading that it should fit the AFD II, but not sure for the first...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kloud View Post
    BTW! Is the ZD going to fit the Mamiya 645 afd? I keep on reading that it should fit the AFD II, but not sure for the first...
    AFD, AFD2 and AFD3 all have the same back connectivity --- yes, any Mamiya digital back you buy will work on all three versions of the AFD

However-butt, you should be aware that the AFD1 is older technology, and as such has slower AF, less accurate AE and is missing some features the newer versions have. A Google search will yield lots of discussion on the differences.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Google search it will be then and afd II probably too ...

Post Thanks / Like

The p21 is from Phase One it is only 18 Megapixels but 16 bit instead of 14 bit. Other than the difference in megapixels the p21 would likely be technically superior to a Zd & operate faster. They are both equally portable. However they are available in different mounts so do make sure that you get one for mamiya.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barry685 View Post
    The p21 is from Phase One it is only 18 Megapixels but 16 bit instead of 14 bit. Other than the difference in megapixels the p21 would likely be technically superior to a Zd & operate faster. They are both equally portable. However they are available in different mounts so do make sure that you get one for mamiya.
    Thanks Barry,

I saw an old post from Lance at Phase One on those refurbished prices they made a few months ago, and asked him if there were any available.
    I presume it's all a matter of comparison anyway, but information has to be found on the subject!
    Cheers.

Stef

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Go for the P21 Plus setup. Lance will take care of you, maybe send a direct e-mail.

It will shot every .8 seconds so yes the P21 plus right now is faster than any of the Phase backs and also faster than the ZD. i would love to have one myself just for the speed of it. I have the P25 Plus and it is the same sensor I believe and it is great.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy,

I have just sent a message to Lance as you wisely suggested
    Indeed the Phase One backs have their own set of advantages on the overall comparison btw backs, and i can't wait to start shooting in digital!
    Cheers.
    Stef

Post Thanks / Like

Just got mysef a fine deal for a ZD back (except for the DOLLAR vs EUROS conversion which is starting to be less interesting, but hell...), so no more looking for a Kodak one.
    Thanks a lot to all of you who informed me, I canīt wait to post again here and show some pictures
    Cheers
    Stef