The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M3 Black paint by Shintaro, Rapidwinder

robsteve

Subscriber
This is a Canadian made M3, signified by the large M3 before the serial number. I bought it years ago from a gentleman in Toronto and it was at some point modified to accept the M motor or a rapidwinder. After purchasing it, I had it CLA's by Gerry Smith at Kindermann Canada and it was then sent off to Shintaro in Japan for the Black paint.

The serial number can be looked up on the cameraquest web site to confirm it is a Ernst Leitz Canada M3, http://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

It is in excellent operational condition and was the favorite camera for use with my Noctilux prior to the M8 arrival. The finder is clean and clear and the rangefinder patch is still contrasty. I notice a couple specs of dust on the rangefinder patch which could probably be cleaned off. The vulcanite is in good shape for a camera of this age, with a spot missing under the lens flange, which is common with Ms of this age. I have a vulcanite like replacement cover by Camera Leathers that I will include with the purchase.

I am offering it at $2700 including the rare to find glossy black Rapidwinder II. The Rapidwinder has actually not been used, as I have another Rapidwinder I used on a daily basis. I only acquired the glossy one because I thought it would mate well with the black paint.

If you have used Leica M in the past, you will know that the M3 has the best finder and is one of the smoothest operating cameras Leica has ever made.

My asking price with the RapidWinder II is $2600. If you are also interested in the Noctilux I have for sale, I can offer a package price.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Wow, that is a stunning kit.
I had Shintaro paint a M2 at the same time. It was pretty stunning too, but just couldn't get into using a M2 and sold it about a year later. The M3 has such a great finder, while the M2 finder was missing the high magnification of the M3. In the end I usually would pick the M6 over the M2 when shooting two bodies, with the M3 mounted with the Noctilux.

robsteve

Subscriber
I am open to reasonable offers on this as well. I am looking to move to a full frame Nikon digital, so any of the recent Nikon lenses designed for the FX format would be an interesting trade.

robsteve

Subscriber
I forgot to mention in the original post that this is a single stroke M3.

I will also add a working Leicameter MR to the items included with the sale. The meter is a black chrome and faily late model, probably from the years the M4 or M4-P were available. A battery is in it and when I tried the battery test, the battery still tests good. I had used this meter when shooting with the M3.

robsteve

Subscriber
Though not spelled out in the original post, the base plate is also included, as shown in pictures four and five.

robsteve

Subscriber
My Nikon D800E has arrived and I would consider a modern Nikon zoom in the moderate wide or telephoto range.