The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica DMR, three batteries,R9,boxes, etc

robsteve

Subscriber
I have a need to shoot some of my kids indoor sports this year and have decided to move to Nikon AF. I am selling my Ex+ DMR and EX++ R9. Asking price as a set $4,200, Fedex shipping and insurance included. Individually, DMR $3,600, R9 $1,000; shipping extra. Keep in mind that overnight shipping by Fedex on a high value item like this will be $300 or more and is factored into the asking price of the complete set.

The DMR and R9 come with the boxes, paperwork, and manuals they came with new. The R9 is an anthracite version, bought new by me from a Halifax dealer when they first came out. The DMR was bought new in September or October of the year they first came out. It came from Ritz collectibles in Arizona, a Leica dealer.

The DMR is probably in ex++, but not the New York dealers meaning of ex++, which is usually pretty beat. There are no scratches on the display but a few marks on the base. The white paint is missing from some of the buttons to the left of the display. The labels for these buttons seemed to be cast into the part as a positive relief and could probably be repainted.

The DMR comes with three batteries, two of which work well. The third works but doesn't have the capacity of the others. Yesterday I put it through a couple discharge cycles to see if it was just a calibration of the battery charge circuitry and it seems better. The other two work well. For example, last week I shot my son's soccer game on one battery and it didn't even go off full. I was shooting steady and a junior soccer game is only an hour long.

I also have a set of focusing screens that have had the Maxwell Optics process done to them. I was an early DMR adopter and the DMR screens were not available yet. I sent my existing screens to Maxwell optics and they treated them with their process and etched the DMR crop lines on them. I have the grid screen, the microprism screen and the stock screen with the Maxwell treatment. There is also the stock screen that came with the DMR. If the R9 is not sold with the DMR, the stock R9 screen that had the Maxwell optics process and DMR crops added will go with the camera, not the DMR kit.

The R9 would also be in ex++ to mint minus. It had the meter cells replaced by Kindermann probably five or six years ago. I had them set the exposure meter to -1/3 stop and on matrix metering it exposes almost perfectly with the DMR. Prior to this, I typically shot with an exposure comp of -1/2 which was slightly dark.

On my 35-70mm listing linked below, all the pictures were shot with the DMR. Take note of the last picture of the young girl. That was straight out of capture one 7 and a huge increase in colour quality,tonality and sharpness. I think in those qualities, the DMR still cannot be beat. If you look up the fun with DMR images thread on GetDPI, I have a comparison of this image to an old process of it to show the increase in quality.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/41391-fs-leica-35-70mm-f2-8-vario-elmarit-r-asph.html

Below are some photos of the DMR and R9 combo. Excuse the quality of the photos, as they were taken with my ancient original EOS 1D. When my Nikon arrives I will take some photos of the complete kit in the boxes. A couple shiny marks on the body are just finger prints. In particular there was a big nose print to the left of the preview screen in one shot. I cleaned it and reshot. In the shot where the LCD shows a bit of blue, it is just from the strobe. The 50mm Summicron shown on the camera is not included in the sale.

robsteve

Subscriber
These images are done using the DMR and a nodal point panoramic kit. The resulting stiched images give medium format quality files. The DMR is the only 35mm digital SLR that shoots 16 bit colour, so if you can stitch some images together you get the medium format quality colour and resolution.

These were all slow exposures in pretty dark conditions. Multiple shots were stitched together.

I used the 100mm APO on this with probably four or five vertical shots stiched together.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is a picture of the complete set including the two extra Maxwell Optics Hi-Lux treated screen, grid and microprism.

The stock DMR screen is in the slot in the box, as is the original battery. The two extra batteries are placed on top of the white box with the charger.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here are the R9 Anthracite photos. It comes with a stock R9 screen that has had the Maxwell Optics Hi-Lux treatment and the DMR crop marks added by Maxwell Optics.

vickko

Somebody please buy this kit.
It has got to be the most trust-worthy DMR/R9 kit on the market.

Vick

robsteve

Subscriber
I have had a couple people ask about servicing the DMR. I happen to have my M8 in at Solms for a CLA and asked the customer service representative whether the DMR was still serviced. Here was the reply:

Dear Robert,

we can still inspect and clean your DMR and fix most mechanical issues. So as long as the electronic is not defective you can send it in.

Kind regards

Leica Camera AG
Customer Care
Solmser Gewerbepark 8/ D-35606 Solms / Germany
Telephone +49(0)6442-208-189 / Fax +49(0)6442-208-339

Farnz

Ohhh that's tough, Rob, bad luck.:( Your R9-DMR is still tugging at my heart strings, especially since it's from a 'known' and respected source, but I've committed to an M now so GLWYS.:eek:

Pete.