The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lens Sale, 19mm, 50mm, 28mm, 105-280mm, 180mm APO, 90mm

robsteve

Subscriber
I am now fully committed to Nikon and my R lenses are up for sale. Prices include PayPal fees and can be Canadian or American dollars, which ever is more convenient.

28mm f2.8 Elmarit-R ROM, this is in VG to EX- condition, came to me reasonably cheap because the aperture lever for coupling to the R cameras was broken by the previous owner. It is now in a Leitax Nikon mount, $950 with the Leitax, $850 with the R mount if you want to use it on a Canon.

19mm f2.8 Elmarit-R ROM, cla and ROM fitted by Leica about six years ago. Great image quality with super smooth focus. It comes with hood, front and rear caps, plus hood cap. Price $2,600.

105-280mm f 4.2. This is in ex++ or better condition, but has light cleaning marks on the rear element. I have seen others listed with this problem, so it may be the coatings were soft on these lenses. It is an excellent performing lens and outperforms the Nikon 70-200mm VR II that I just purchased new. I will post a thread with the sample images showing that the Leica is sharp out to the corners on full frame. It comes with the caps, box, leather case, strap and paperwork. This will work with Leitax mounts or on a Canon with an adapter. Price $3,600.

50mm f2 Summicron-R ROM. This lens is in mint minus to EX+++ condition and comes with box, leather case. Price $900.

90mm Sumicron-R. This is an older three cam Canadian made Summicron. The exterior is probably VG condition, optics and mechanic in proper shape. I used to shoot basketball with this and preferred it over the 80mm Summilux because it has a smoother focus than Summilux. Price $500.

180mm f3.4 APO. This is an older three cam version of the famous 180mm f3.4 APO. The exterior is in VG condition, with the optics and focus working properly. Price $700.

paul25

That Elmarit 28 is really tempting.....
I really wish I had fund for it now.....

Good luck with the sale....

robsteve

Subscriber
Before anybody gets too excited about the price of the 28mm Elmarit-R, it is priced accordingly as these lenses typically got for $1500-$2000 in better condition. Here are some pictures of the lens. The second picture shows the little lever that is broken off and the little shroud that goes between the two screw holes was also missing when I got the lens. Neither of which matter for the Leitax conversion. For use on a R camera it will need a trip to Leica to get the broken part replaced or used in stopped down mode. The red dot is missing in this photo, but it now has one as I ordered one from Leitax with the mount. You can see it has one in the group photo of the lenses.

Here is a shot from it using the D800E. I think it was f8 using the 100iso and sunny 16 rule; ie it was shot at about 1/500th on 100iso. The image is sharp over most of the frame and sharper than my 21-35mm at 28mm. At the very edges it gets soft, but if you read Ewin Puts description of the performance of this lens, it matches his description. The 21-35mm is better at the vert edge, but not as sharp as the Elamrit in the rest of the frame. It was suggested by a forum member to focus the 28mm at the edges using live view and then let DOF handle the middle of the frame.

This is a crop from the center of the image.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Sale pending on the 180mm.

To save time for both parties, if I can't insure the package via mail for the selling price, I will not sell it to you. Most places the limits are $1000, but for some countries the limit is $100. I lost a $350 lens in the mail to one of these countries and it is a situation I do not want to deal with again.

The couriers like FedEx will insure to most countries, but the shipping can be expensive compared to the value of the lens.

robsteve

Subscriber
To save further questions, I will only ship to PayPal verified addresses. If you live in Canada I can take interac money transfers and ship to your address. The address will still need to be verified by PayPal. We can do this by sending a small portion of the payment via PayPal.

robsteve

Subscriber
I have decided to keep a couple of these lenses until the new Leica M that accepts R lenses comes out. The 19mm and 105-280mm are no longer for sale.

The 28mm and 50mm are still up for sale.

robsteve

Subscriber
The 50mm is still available.

Keep in mind the 28mm is priced so cheaply because it is in VG or bargain condition. I have just checked it with a 6x loupe and there are a couple nicks/scratches on the front element and some dust/paint flecks inside between the elements, so I am withdrawing it from this listing.

robsteve

Subscriber
I still have the 50mm and have decide to sell the 19mm as well.

The 28mm is still on Ebay, closing in a few days.

robsteve

Subscriber
Re: Leica R lens Sale, 19mm, 50mm, 35mm, 28mm, 105-280mm

Adding another one of my less used lenses. This one is in pretty beat shape, but the focus is smooth and it takes decent pictures. There are scratches on the front element shown in the third picture. The rear element looks pretty clean. It comes with a rear cap, but I don't think I have a front cap for it.

My lenses are usually not this beat. I had a habit over the years of buying some of these lenses at a local dealer because I missed the pristine copy I sold years ago. I figured they were cheap enough, but in the end I never used them much. My introduction to the Leica SLR was an R4 that came with a mint 35mm Summicron-R, so when I saw this one at a dealer years ago I bought it.

Asking price is $450 in Leica mount with Leica rear cap or $475 in a Rainbow Nikon F mount. Shipping is $25, paypal payment sent as goods so I can use the PayPal shipping tools. I don't have the rainbow mount yet, but one is on the way.

Here it is on the D800E, shot wide open.

robsteve

Subscriber
A couple images from this mornings basketball game. I decided to shoot the whole game with the 35mm Summicron, as that used to be my favorite lens for basketball when shooting film. These were done on the D800E.

robsteve

Subscriber
Re: Leica R lens Sale, 19mm, 50mm, 35mm, 105-280mm

The 105-280mm, 19mm, 50mm and 35mm are still available.

robsteve

Subscriber
The 19mm is still available.

The 105-280mm is off to Leica to have the rear element replaced and will be available in a month or so.

The 35mm is on ebay, no reserve auction, along with some other R lenses.

r-stevens | eBay