The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Nikon 200mm f/2 $3685 VR version 1

jstaben

Pics to follow. Excellent condition. THE best Nikon tele built.

The shallow DOF you can have on this baby makes the Noctilux f /.95
Look like a camera phone! Well, not quite but it is beautiful!

jstaben

Comes with soft Nikon carrying bag specific for this lens, the pouch that fits over the top, and the hood.

jstaben

Hi Vince thanks for the note. Yes I'm going to be getting rid of the D800E and it's associated gear. I used this lens mainly for sports and I don't need it for that purpose anymore but it would almost be worth keeping a DSLR setup just for this lens! Alas, I have too much gear though and need to purge some...you know what I mean!

VINCET

Yeah, definitely know what you mean by too much equipment. So as Guy was asking, since you are a physician, what is the going rate of a kidney anyway? I think having 2 is just adding to my weight. I can always use another lens :)

GLWS

jstaben

We only take cash for kidneys, no trades. Paypal is accepted though but you would have to pay the 3%! :LOL:

jstaben

some pics. Optics are fantastic. Only difference between version 1 and 2 is

1) Several thousand dollars cheaper
2) Coating on front element (hood makes this pretty much a non-issue at least for me)
3) One more stop of VR

Version 1 to 2 was a minor upgrade. Rest is the same. Plus cash in the bank!

One pic shows RRS baseplate which isn't included. I will include regular base

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Someone please buy this . I'm already trying to justify a kidney loss on me or sell this PITA 15 year old that keeps eating all the food in the house. Hmmm decisions, decisions . LOL

Or if I do the math correctly I can eat 330 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday and save about 3k in lunches alone. Or stop drinking, wait that I cant do. Nevermind

D&A

Guy, peanut butter has gotten quite expensive. Instead try generic boxes of Mac and Cheese for about a year at 29 cents per box. LOL!

As for kids eating one out of house and home, mabe suggest him getting a job at Burger King. When I was a teen working there, we could eat as much as we wanted and our stomach could hold. Couldn't eat for days afterwards. Of course this is balanced out with required meds and treatment a few days later...LOL!

Oh well back to the drawing board. By the way, fabulous world class lens. I took some of my best shots when I owned one.

Dave (D&A)

jstaben

Hi guys! At this price range I consider purchases as rentals. You can nicely sell them at close or sometimes even more than you paid. In the meantime, all you lose is some cash but it's all short-term! It's almost like playing for free!

What if you could go into Disneyland or eat steak at your favorite restaurant, give them your $80, and when you walked out the door someone gave you your money back! That's what it's like playing with this 200mm.

menos

Great lens!
This is the lens, I actually wanted, when walking in the shop a few years ago. Instead, only a 300/2.8 was available, which became my main motor sports lens on the Nikon bodies.

I then transitioned almost entirely to Leica M gear.

I still have the 300/2.8, together with the old D3 and a few primes and film bodies everything I kept from the Nikon gear.

In my opinion, these are the lenses to keep, if changing systems and having no other long lens substitute.
I shoot motor sports also with the Leica M, but restrictions end me there at 135mm realistically.

If in any regularity you use this lens and can swallow it financially, keep it!
The real beauty about the 200/2 is, that it is even more handhold able than the 300/2.8, can do long lens work with TCs and is even more useful for other things than covering distance (think portrait and low light lens).

If you love this lens, you will regret it.
If this would be local, I would think about it at your asking price. There is nothing like the 200/2.

jstaben

Great lens!
This is the lens, I actually wanted, when walking in the shop a few years ago. Instead, only a 300/2.8 was available, which became my main motor sports lens on the Nikon bodies.

I then transitioned almost entirely to Leica M gear.

I still have the 300/2.8, together with the old D3 and a few primes and film bodies everything I kept from the Nikon gear.

In my opinion, these are the lenses to keep, if changing systems and having no other long lens substitute.
I shoot motor sports also with the Leica M, but restrictions end me there at 135mm realistically.

If in any regularity you use this lens and can swallow it financially, keep it!
The real beauty about the 200/2 is, that it is even more handhold able than the 300/2.8, can do long lens work with TCs and is even more useful for other things than covering distance (think portrait and low light lens).

If you love this lens, you will regret it.
If this would be local, I would think about it at your asking price. There is nothing like the 200/2.

You know what...I think you are right here. I'm going to think this over and hold off on sale for now. Thanks for the moment of clarity! Sale withdrawn....

:salute:

menos

That was close ;-)

This lens is a good excuse, to keep one Nikon body and a very few select favourite lenses around, working them out at special occasion.
Another thing about the 200/2 is, that you don't see them too often for sale, should you make up your mind again after selling one. It's a lens to keep, really.

jstaben

That was close ;-)

This lens is a good excuse, to keep one Nikon body and a very few select favourite lenses around, working them out at special occasion.
Another thing about the 200/2 is, that you don't see them too often for sale, should you make up your mind again after selling one. It's a lens to keep, really.
I think that is a great idea!