Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

  1. #1
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Hello everyone,

    a member just pointed to my attention that someone is trying to sell a Phase One kit using all my images and listing I posted here on GetDPI in 2011. The seller is not me, the items have already been sold, and this is definitely a scam. Please do not fall for it.

    Here is the listing:

    Phase One Sale P65 645DF 5 Lenses etc Etc | eBay

    I already reported the sale to eBay and contacted the seller directly as well asking to take it out.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I can absolutely vouch for this and also reported this to ebay last week.
    There was a "seller" in the UK who used this same listing in late January that I had fallen victim to...and am now working hard to try and recoup my losses with little to no help from ebay.
    A week after the scam fell through I had found vieri's post here trying to sell these items from Dec of 2011 via google image search.

    I am actually quite shocked that ebay has not removed the auction yet.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I contacted the seller, asked for the serial number which he refused tp provide(red flag # 1) and asked if I could pick up the gear after a demo and pay cash but he refused, said he could only ship(red flag #2)

  4. #4
    Member wryphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by felix5616 View Post
    I contacted the seller, asked for the serial number which he refused tp provide(red flag # 1) and asked if I could pick up the gear after a demo and pay cash but he refused, said he could only ship(red flag #2)
    yea i saw this on ebay as well, and doing research i found the same listing verbatim on DPreview from 2011 and sent the seller a link and never heard back.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    This is exactly the same pictures that were used on a previous listing that I nearly feel for.

    At the time the seller was claiming to be from the UK. I can post more information later, this is a CLEAR scam.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    EBAY to my knowledge still has not removed the listing despite being warned by at least 2 people.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by felix5616 View Post
    EBAY to my knowledge still has not removed the listing despite being warned by at least 2 people.
    Make that at least three people.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I reported it twice, and Ebay did nothing...

  9. #9
    Senior Member thrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Ebay don't care, they just want the listing fees and the rest is your problem.

  10. #10
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Just reported it myself. Maybe if they get enough...

  11. #11
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Thanks everyone! I did report it myself a couple more times, but still no changes. I am afraid Daniel is right...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  12. #12
    Member kalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Ebay and Paypal have gone to crap lately. Fees are astronomical. I was just selling a camera and got a sophisticated scammer. Contacted me through ebay by making an offer. Person paid for the camera and paypal put it on verification hold. While verification was happening I got an email from ebay telling me that account that bid on this was compromised. About an hour later I get a "all clear" email from paypal to ship the item. Idiots

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    What would have happened if you had shipped? Paypal will take back the payment?

    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Ebay and Paypal have gone to crap lately. Fees are astronomical. I was just selling a camera and got a sophisticated scammer. Contacted me through ebay by making an offer. Person paid for the camera and paypal put it on verification hold. While verification was happening I got an email from ebay telling me that account that bid on this was compromised. About an hour later I get a "all clear" email from paypal to ship the item. Idiots

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    well, ad is still there

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I asked the poster if it was a scam. He replied 'no'.

    I guess that sorts that, then!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    So who's got the cajones to bid $50k?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I bid $1 but the seller has not gotten back to me

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    The crazy thing is...this is still up!!!
    Even crazier...the seller, will probably get away with it if they ever make the sale.
    I'd venture to say that a handful of H4Ds up on ebay right now are total scams as well.

    Some interesting facts about internet related scams like this I just learned from an attorney friend in higher places. If you get sucked into one of these, you pretty much are not getting your money back, especially if it is dumped into an overseas account and the money is moved quickly. In the US, the FBI will only proceed with the case if the loss is in excess of a half million USD...from a single scam or multiple scams from the same criminal/group. Local authorites, BBB, FBI/ic3 are going to do nothing because it cost them too much money to process the investigation through D.C., especially if the investigation is handed over to another country and the money was moved via wire. You would have better luck pumping your money through a document shredder, tossing it in the toilet, flushing, and going to your local waste water treatment plant with a fishing net to get your money back.

  19. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by felix5616 View Post
    I bid $1 but the seller has not gotten back to me
    Maybe the seller is considering your offer, it is very generous, especially if it is a Sacagewea gold coin!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    I don't understand how you get scammed on ebay.
    I bought and sold several backs and it always went well.
    I just bought a back for $12000 and it went without a hitch.

    You just need to heed some common sense rules.

    For instance: a seller with 0 feedback on sales like this one, you don't buy a $25000 from them - $100 max.
    You only consider high value items from seller with high and 100% feedback on sales - don't confuse feedback on buys with that of sales.
    If there is bad grammar in the auction you walk away.

    If on the face of it everything looks good, then you go do manual verification.
    You converse with that person online, ask them all the questions you have, and then look at their answers and think.
    If there is any red flag, then you walk away.
    If it is someone selling a digital back, then verify he is a photographer.
    Look at his website and google his name.
    Call the number on his website to see the same person answers.
    Make sure the same name is on all the accounts - ebay, paypal etc.

    If you are very careful then there are a lot of great deals to be had on ebay, but of course there will always be scammers trying to take your money -- you should just make the effort and pay attention.

    In my experience, whenever I bought something from a scammer and asked the money back from paypal, I always got it.
    When sending an item to a buyer, you must wait 72 hours if it is a high value item. It can take 48 hours for paypal and credit card companies to notice a scam. If you ship too early then you have a problem. That also happened to me, so I went to the post sorting office and insisted on getting my package back before it left the country.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    The surest way to determine if someone is a scammer is to request a demo first for a face to face transaction. Any seller theat is selling an expensive item should be more than happy to meeet in person. I once sold a MF digital system and personally delivered it, the airline ticket cost nearly the same as insured shipping.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    When I went to sell something on eBay (and it seemed PP was the only method it would accept for payment) some of the fine print informed me that the money would go into a suspended state, for lack of a better term - ie the seller would not be able to move the money as they would not be granted immediate access to it. Like Escrow?

    Is that not the case?

  23. #23
    Senior Member jstaben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by shlomi View Post
    I don't understand how you get scammed on ebay.
    I bought and sold several backs and it always went well.
    I just bought a back for $12000 and it went without a hitch.

    You just need to heed some common sense rules.

    For instance: a seller with 0 feedback on sales like this one, you don't buy a $25000 from them - $100 max.
    You only consider high value items from seller with high and 100% feedback on sales - don't confuse feedback on buys with that of sales.
    If there is bad grammar in the auction you walk away.

    If on the face of it everything looks good, then you go do manual verification.
    You converse with that person online, ask them all the questions you have, and then look at their answers and think.
    If there is any red flag, then you walk away.
    If it is someone selling a digital back, then verify he is a photographer.
    Look at his website and google his name.
    Call the number on his website to see the same person answers.
    Make sure the same name is on all the accounts - ebay, paypal etc.

    If you are very careful then there are a lot of great deals to be had on ebay, but of course there will always be scammers trying to take your money -- you should just make the effort and pay attention.

    In my experience, whenever I bought something from a scammer and asked the money back from paypal, I always got it.
    When sending an item to a buyer, you must wait 72 hours if it is a high value item. It can take 48 hours for paypal and credit card companies to notice a scam. If you ship too early then you have a problem. That also happened to me, so I went to the post sorting office and insisted on getting my package back before it left the country.
    As a buyer, it is near impossible to get scammed if you know your product. As a seller, it is very easy to get scammed. eBay will always (ok 99.9%)side with buyer.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by colorspace View Post
    When I went to sell something on eBay (and it seemed PP was the only method it would accept for payment) some of the fine print informed me that the money would go into a suspended state, for lack of a better term - ie the seller would not be able to move the money as they would not be granted immediate access to it. Like Escrow?

    Is that not the case?
    In some cases they do that, but normally if paid by credit card in paypal, and the seller is in good standing, then he can withdraw immediately. However, even after he withdraws, the transaction can be reversed and the money taken out of his bank account or credit card. If those are fake, then paypal will not reimburse you out of their own pocket.

    BTW they just changed the name from eBay to ebay.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by jstaben View Post
    As a buyer, it is near impossible to get scammed if you know your product. As a seller, it is very easy to get scammed. eBay will always (ok 99.9%)side with buyer.
    It is true that the system is completely in favor of the buyer.
    However - I will not be giving scammers instructions here, but it is possible to jam the system so that a buyer does not get his money back. Especially in large amounts, it is worthwhile to take your time and verify the identity and intentions of the seller.

    As a seller, when selling a high value item, you should vet the buyer as well. If he seems suspicious, then refund him and don't ship the item. He can give you a negative feedback, but if the money is refunded then you can cancel this feedback. In any case wait 72 hours before shipping any high value item.
    Last edited by shlomi; 7th April 2013 at 22:08.

  26. #26
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One listing SCAM - watch!

    Just FYI, eBay finally took off the auction.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •