The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica M8 DISCOUNT/CHEAP - $1,175

GDI

I have a nice Leica M8 I bought a while ago after selling my M9. I find I almost never use it so it is up for sale. I am shooting more and more LF these days.

Appearance Description:
Black M8 with no upgrades, body is in good condition and it has an Aki Asahi covering and hand painting Black Leica dot. The covering is not perfectly applied, but serves its purpose. Comes with box and packaging and accessories include, wall charger (big one), battery and strap. It also has a Giottoi Schott glass LCD protector.

Operating Description:
Most everything works well, except it does have several of the vertical hot pixel lines when shot at high iso (640 sometimes, usually at 1250/2500). Some people have good results from the "Pixel Fixer" free utility, but I am pretty good at avoiding the lines altogether by using low ISO. Leica USA will remap it but I am pretty sure they will charge since there is no warranty.

Also, the frameline selector is somewhat sticky, sometimes you have to nudge it to shift for the 135 lines - other will activate with the lens.

Offer:

As cheap as I have seen - $1,175 to me, that means you pay shipping/insurance and any transaction fees.

Photos - Lens NOT INCLUDED:

Last edited:

GDI

Ok, I have tons of PMs and I can't honor every request for test shots and various shipping quotes, etc. Also I have had a couple of "I'll take its" and then when I send payment info I never hear back. So I have some new conditions:

• I won't give shipping quotes unless we have a deal - use a package size of 12x12x12 inches and 5 pounds to calculate your own. Within the US shipping via Priority Mail is about $25 with insurance, I refund any overage more than $1.00.
  • It will be insured for the full value, that means declared at full value, no matter how much your government chooses to charge for duty - I am sure you get the benefits, do your part and pay up
  • The camera has the flaws I mentioned, I am including a a link to a ISO 2500 shot in which the vertical lines are apparent in the pavement in the shot - I am not going shoot any extra shots at various ISOs - assume every shot taken over 640 and some taken at 640 will show the hot pixels. If that is unacceptable and you don't want to pay to have it fixed, I suggest you look for a recently serviced M8 or M9 rather than this one.
  • The camera has around 7,000 actuations (probably less), I checked it when I bought it and I am not going to check again.
  • Leica quoted me $175 to map out the hot pixels- you can email them for a shipping quote
  • You must be a member of at least 2 years and have contributed at least 100 posts (other than "PM Sent" replies to for sale ads). I will not respond to messages from new or low post members, please don't take offense to this, I just don't have time to waste.

Finally, the camera is what it is, it has flaws and I think the price fairly reflects that. There are many people who claim they never shoot their M8s at ISO greater than 320 due to noise, if that is true then this camera is a very good deal for the noise-averse. If you want a perfect M8 then it ain't for you, look around for a better one.

And fair warning - I am likely to withdraw this sometime today and just keep it, if I sell it I won't have a good IR camera. And if you read this far, you are rewarded with a special offer. I am reducing the price to $1138 for US buyers. This means that after you pay TRX fees and shipping, you will pay less that $1200 delivered - this is nonnegotiable. This offer is only valid for those who mention it in their to commitment to buy.

Here is the link to a full sized shot in which you can see the vertical lines:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/8858883203_64bef4e894_o.jpg

And that is all I have to say about that.

GDI

I just opened a drawer and found that I still have this thing kicking around, so I am renewing this offer at least for a day or two.

If you think you may be interested please read ALL my posts in the thread for the camera condition, price, and sale info. Everything is still as it was in May - EXCEPT the special price quoted in post #5 - that offer has expired and the price is described in post # 1- $1175.00 to me.

Again if interested in getting a very,very low price M8 - please read all the posted info about the deal.