The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R 70-180 mm f/2.8 - MINT

jimithing616

Ok here we go.... First of all we will get the details out of the way.

I am James Bird, I live in Minneapolis, MN. my user name "jimithing616" is the same on RFF, and APUG, etc... RFF is where I frequent and have bought before a few times. I am also a high rated seller on ebay. I can provide a link for anyone who needs it.

I am actually the guy who designed the new Red 10th anniversary RFF softie thats about to be released in limited numbers!! I mention this because I have a reputation I worked hard for on there and although I am new here I obviously want to have that same rep here, and anything here will effect my reputation there, where I have friends and I spend 60% of my nights! So, I wont give that up for a lens or some money... If you know me, and some of you do, you know I covet my honor above all else.

Ok enough banter.... The APO... I am asking for an offer as of right now and we will see how this goes. This is by far the best lens ever made by Leica for the R system! especially in these focal lengths. I have used the 180 2.8, it barely compares. The big daddy 90 also barely holds a candle to this lens... This lens is hands down the best out there. Nikon could never come close! Canon either... this is THE telephoto zoom. Period.

I got this lens from a huge, serious, Leica collector! He had it 'serviced' (its never really been used so it didn't need any fixing) by leica about 5 years ago and never used it since, he stored it in a "Dry Box" one of those high end units that regulate humidity and temperature for lens and camera storage. Not that we live in a really humid area, but summers are humid here, either way this guy spares no expense in housing his collection!

The Lens is Mint-. I add the "minus" because of the only mark on the Barrel inside the tripod screw hole, it looks like it was used on a tripod once and it made a tiny mark. most wouldn't notice this but I am meticulous. Internally the lens is clean and clear, I spent 30 minutes or so in the dark with a LED torch light looking through both sides of this lens from every angle you can imagine, there is a tiny tiny amount of dust. nothing else. The front and Rear elements are as new, you cannot tell they ever saw the light of day, in fact they probably never did as the previous (original) owner used it in studio only!!

Comes with its Orig. Leather Case. Looks New. and of course the original caps, etc.

Right now these are going for a tad under 7000 on ebay. If you can find one. in fact the only one for sale right now on the evilbay I could find is going for a little over $8100k . This one is nicer too. period.

You know the deal. the new M (240) can use these R lenses, so prices are shooting up like wildfires. I talked to a leica auth dealer about this lens and he basically told me that if I could afford to keep it for another year or so, do it, because he predicted it going up to maybe even 10k by 2014-2015. I can't afford to... I either sell this or I don't eat... tuition is up 10% and housing is up even more... I gotta let this one go...

I was thinking about sending it in to leica just to have it given the seal of approval, but I consulted with DAG and a few others about the lens and basically was told it wasn't worth it. I ran through the lens and how it was stored, etc, and they all said a CLA or anything from leica would be over-kill, maybe in 5-10 years from now if it sees some moderate use, then get a CLA. this lens just saw a leica tech not too long ago too (5 years), and since then it has been in suspended animation in that state of the art "dry box" hah

Make me an offer!

I am also open to trades for things like a 35 summilux FLE plus a few grand in cash or maybe an MP ... No digital M bodies for me. maybe an M9 or MM actually. I would have to think it over. Make an offer. I accept paypal or bank transfer and I would have to talk over an international offer. not out of the question though.

No lowballs. I traded my life away for this lens so I could use the proceeds to pay my college tuition! Other than that lens selling, I pay my own way 100% working and selling my photography. So, I need the cash!

Look at that, you can get an amazing lens and put a kid through college... there's some karma ;) .....I kid, I kid... This lens is really that good though, get it while its still reasonably priced!!

Thanks! I would like $7,000 for it because of the condition but as I mentioned, MAKE AN OFFER!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You need to read the rules of the buy and sell. It must have a price listed or it will be deleted.

jimithing616

I apologize for not having a price written in the ad. I thought I had read through all the rules and was abiding by them! I guess I am not so sharp at 2 am! Anyway, a price has been added. I am still very open to trades for M/LTM or Nikon RF gear plus cash! Thanks!

jimithing616

Chadlanc - Thanks for that! That is a really cool gesture. I did not even know about that site but have just taken a look and well, thanks for that too! Very cool of you. I owe you one!

jimithing616

Just a heads up, I have changed my mind and I am now somewhat interested in trades for Leica Digital bodies such as M9-P, M 240 and Especially an M monochrom. Also very interested in Leica Film bodies like the MP! Lets hear those offers!! This lens is THE most coveted Leica R lens and I was just informed that only 2250 were ever produced!! This lens will only continue to go up in price!! Thanks

Sparky16

You're only allowed to BUMP every 24 hrs, not 8, not 12! Please read Buy & Sell rules before posting. :cussing:
No need to reply to this unintended BUMP.

** Limitations: You are limited to three (3) FS or WTB or WTT posts TOTAL at any one time, though you can include as many items in a single post as you want. Also, you are only allowed to bump your posts ONCE per 24 hour period. Unless seller adds photos , drops pricing etc.

I would love to buy this lens, but never will I be able to afford this, just drooling.

jimithing616

Bump it on up bump bump bump.

COME ON guys, lets get this thing sold. Make me an offer I cannot refuse with some leica M film bodies, lenses, or whatever you've got!!! I am looking to get outta this thing and into some high end M gear... Lets hear those offers!!

NicD

Hi there. Is the lens still for sale or is it sold. Can you send me a text or email me to discuss pricings?