The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica M 240 (Silver) New, $8250 OBO

srtiwari

Recently bought a Leica Monochrom, and now this is on its way from a Pre-order.
It is new from a Leica dealer, with Leica's full 2 year standard warranty. It should be in my hands in 2 days. I plan to ensure that all contents are in place, and will promptly ship it out by 2 day air, fully insured, anywhere in CONUS to the buyer.

Will entertain reasonable offers, or, if unable to sell here in the next few days, will send off to EBay.
Can accept Paypal.
I have bought and sold plenty here, and on RFF and APUG, and have perfect feedback.
Do not want item returned unless the description is inaccurate.

VINCET

the rule of this site state "** Please do NOT say an item is "Brand New In Box" or "With Full Warranty" as that can only come from a dealer and they cannot post new gear in this section!"

srtiwari

I believe the description clearly states that I am buying it from a dealer, and therefore, am not one myself. The Warranty comes with all new cameras, and that too is accurate. I did not think that anyone would get the impression that I am authorized to sell these cameras as a dealer, particularly as they are not permitted to sell these "OBO".
And finally, I'm happy to remove the word New from the title, but not sure how to do that. Perhaps the moderator can do that for me. The word "Unused" may be an appropriate substitute for the word "New", although the camera is both.

GDI

srtiwari -

Advertising second-hand gear as "New" has caused problems in the past at Getdpi and that is why the rules now state that you cannot claim the item is new. And of course there are different views as to whether a warranty on a "Used" (read "Previously Owned" or "Second-Hand") camera is in all cases transferrable. Some say yes and others question - I think it would be up to Leica to decide if a problem arises. (There are threads with testimonials claiming that Leica charged for service on second hand items with time still left on warranty.)

So I think it is good to be clear, no one wants to buy a second hand thinking they will have full warranty coverage and find out different later, especially when they are paying a significant premium over new.

Good luck ( and by the way, for potential buyers, I have had dealings with Sritwari on RFF and the transaction was great.

srtiwari

Clarification

srtiwari -

Advertising second-hand gear as "New" has caused problems in the past at Getdpi and that is why the rules now state that you cannot claim the item is new. And of course there are different views as to whether a warranty on a "Used" (read "Previously Owned" or "Second-Hand") camera is in all cases transferrable. Some say yes and others question - I think it would be up to Leica to decide if a problem arises. (There are threads with testimonials claiming that Leica charged for service on second hand items with time still left on warranty.)

So I think it is good to be clear, no one wants to buy a second hand thinking they will have full warranty coverage and find out different later, especially when they are paying a significant premium over new.

Good luck ( and by the way, for potential buyers, I have had dealings with Sritwari on RFF and the transaction was great.

I agree with the need for such a rule, and perhaps should have said "Unused", instead of "New".
I also agree with uncertainties re: the Leica warranty to the buyer. My experience, and that of many others, has been that Leica usually does "the right thing" by their customers, and are less prone to denying service on "technicalities". I have also heard that Leica (NJ) USA will often honor a warranty that Leica (Germany) may not.
But- I obviously cannot guarantee that the the Warranty will remain valid for whoever buys this camera.

edwin_sn

OT for the B&S, but let me chime in on the Leica warranty. I dont know why so many leica owners believe that the warranty is limited to the original owner. The warranty is on the camera and not on the owner. If you buy a second hand leica which still has remaining months on its warranty, you just have to contact leica that you now own the camera and ask them to transfer the warranty to you the moment you receive the unit and not during the time that you want to claim for warranty long after you bought it.

I bought a used M9 with warranty left to it. The original owner is from Canada, and I am from the Philippines. I called leica solms that i just received the camera and they asked for the serial number, a photo of the hot shoe showing the serial number and a photo of the camera with the days newspaper behind it showing the date. Then they transfered the ownership to me. They even gave me a one time chance to download Lightroom for it. A year later I had it calibrated and cleaned under warranty in Leica Singapore. So that proves that its an international warranty.

Any way good luck with your sale srtwari :)

Rafael Macia

OT for the B&S, but let me chime in on the Leica warranty. I dont know why so many leica owners believe that the warranty is limited to the original owner. The warranty is on the camera and not on the owner. If you buy a second hand leica which still has remaining months on its warranty, you just have to contact leica that you now own the camera and ask them to transfer the warranty to you the moment you receive the unit and not during the time that you want to claim for warranty long after you bought it.

I bought a used M9 with warranty left to it. The original owner is from Canada, and I am from the Philippines. I called leica solms that i just received the camera and they asked for the serial number, a photo of the hot shoe showing the serial number and a photo of the camera with the days newspaper behind it showing the date. Then they transfered the ownership to me. They even gave me a one time chance to download Lightroom for it. A year later I had it calibrated and cleaned under warranty in Leica Singapore. So that proves that its an international warranty.

The seller is in Florida so we are talking USA Leica, and not an international warrantee. The policies of Leica (N.J.), may differ fro Leica Solms.

srtiwari

I appreciate your note, which has pointed out something interesting. It may be, that switching the warranty to the new owner at the time of the sale - rather than later when you need the service - may be the explanation for whether, or not, Leica will honor a warranty.

edwin_sn

I spoke to Leica Solms, and they told me that Leica warranty will (should) be honored at any Leica official service center regardless of the place you bought it.

Last edited: