Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB IQ40 / P40+setup SF bay area

Post Thanks / Like

WTB IQ40 / P40+setup SF bay area

Been off for a few years and looking to get back in to photography.
    Was looking at D800e-D810 but the quality seems to lacking compared to my former P40+

West coast

Harry
    Last edited by Harry; 14th December 2014 at 18:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB P40+setup SF bay area

Harry,

I'd seriously suggest looking at this instead: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...-iq-160-a.html

IQ160 can be had for much less than original MSRP. Still latest and greatest technology--with larger sensor and much more oomph and quality bump than a P40 generation. USB3 allows super easy tethering with Surface Pro too! User interface of IQ series alone worth the investment.

ken

p.s. John Milich is a trusted GetDPI family member and friend----low mileage on his IQ160 too. He's a regular at CI in Carmel, and I'm hoping he comes out to CI in CA in a few months---we're in Lake Tahoe! Hope you can make it too.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I second this. The IQ 160 is awesome. I owned it for awhile and loved it. The IQ series is a huge leap in functionality and features.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Harry,

I'd seriously suggest looking at this instead: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...-iq-160-a.html

IQ160 can be had for much less than original MSRP. Still latest and greatest technology--with larger sensor and much more oomph and quality bump than a P40 generation. USB3 allows super easy tethering with Surface Pro too! User interface of IQ series alone worth the investment.

ken

p.s. John Milich is a trusted GetDPI family member and friend----low mileage on his IQ160 too. He's a regular at CI in Carmel, and I'm hoping he comes out to CI in CA in a few months---we're in Lake Tahoe! Hope you can make it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I second this. The IQ 160 is awesome. I owned it for awhile and loved it. The IQ series is a huge leap in functionality and features.
    Thanks Ken and Guy, but have to keep the initial investment around 10-15K
    Driving to Alaska next summer

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, Harry, this is one of those times that even considering your initial budget ceiling, you are just that close (really close) to getting a substantially better system than the P40+ series. Actually, it's huge.

The difference in usability, image quality, and features----is not just slight here between a P40+ and an IQ160. I think you might want to consider longevity of investment, and something I think is oft overlooked, the plain enjoyment of photography.

If we were talking a huge jump in initial investment---that's understandable. But here, I think that all things considered, the difference in initial investment from your budget ceiling is pretty nominal. I think you would be remiss to pass the IQ160 for a P40+.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Boy, talk about enabling.

But I do agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB IQ40 / P40+setup SF bay area

No two ways about it, the IQ interface is nice, especially if shooting on a tech cam.

But ... since the typical price of a (private sale) used DB is falling faster than a drunk on a mountain bike, it's possible to pick up a used P40+ with 645DF, V-Grip Air and a Schneider 80mm lens for around the $10k mark. That's an attractive proposition.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The tradeoff is the ergo of the phase camera vs the h2, the h lens inventory vs phase and obviously the iq back, newer and more advanced
    The cost is about 6 k more

Post Thanks / Like

For me the biggest differences are: larger full frame sensor, better image quality and higher res, IQ interface and screen (huge!), and USB3 (you knew that was coming).

ken