The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB IQ40 / P40+setup SF bay area

Harry

Been off for a few years and looking to get back in to photography.
Was looking at D800e-D810 but the quality seems to lacking compared to my former P40+

West coast

Harry

Last edited:

kdphotography

Re: WTB P40+setup SF bay area

Harry,

I'd seriously suggest looking at this instead: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/52588-fs-cambo-wrs-lenses-iq-160-a.html

IQ160 can be had for much less than original MSRP. Still latest and greatest technology--with larger sensor and much more oomph and quality bump than a P40 generation. USB3 allows super easy tethering with Surface Pro too! User interface of IQ series alone worth the investment.

ken

p.s. John Milich is a trusted GetDPI family member and friend----low mileage on his IQ160 too. He's a regular at CI in Carmel, and I'm hoping he comes out to CI in CA in a few months---we're in Lake Tahoe! Hope you can make it too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I second this. The IQ 160 is awesome. I owned it for awhile and loved it. The IQ series is a huge leap in functionality and features.

Harry

Harry,

I'd seriously suggest looking at this instead: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/52588-fs-cambo-wrs-lenses-iq-160-a.html

IQ160 can be had for much less than original MSRP. Still latest and greatest technology--with larger sensor and much more oomph and quality bump than a P40 generation. USB3 allows super easy tethering with Surface Pro too! User interface of IQ series alone worth the investment.

ken

p.s. John Milich is a trusted GetDPI family member and friend----low mileage on his IQ160 too. He's a regular at CI in Carmel, and I'm hoping he comes out to CI in CA in a few months---we're in Lake Tahoe! Hope you can make it too.
I second this. The IQ 160 is awesome. I owned it for awhile and loved it. The IQ series is a huge leap in functionality and features.
Thanks Ken and Guy, but have to keep the initial investment around 10-15K
Driving to Alaska next summer

kdphotography

Honestly, Harry, this is one of those times that even considering your initial budget ceiling, you are just that close (really close) to getting a substantially better system than the P40+ series. Actually, it's huge.

The difference in usability, image quality, and features----is not just slight here between a P40+ and an IQ160. I think you might want to consider longevity of investment, and something I think is oft overlooked, the plain enjoyment of photography.

If we were talking a huge jump in initial investment---that's understandable. But here, I think that all things considered, the difference in initial investment from your budget ceiling is pretty nominal. I think you would be remiss to pass the IQ160 for a P40+.

ken

f8orbust

No two ways about it, the IQ interface is nice, especially if shooting on a tech cam.

But ... since the typical price of a (private sale) used DB is falling faster than a drunk on a mountain bike, it's possible to pick up a used P40+ with 645DF, V-Grip Air and a Schneider 80mm lens for around the $10k mark. That's an attractive proposition.

jlm

Workshop Member
The tradeoff is the ergo of the phase camera vs the h2, the h lens inventory vs phase and obviously the iq back, newer and more advanced
The cost is about 6 k more

kdphotography

For me the biggest differences are: larger full frame sensor, better image quality and higher res, IQ interface and screen (huge!), and USB3 (you knew that was coming).

ken