Site Sponsors

Thread: FS: Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f/2 LTM Lens

Post Thanks / Like

FS: Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f/2 LTM Lens

I thought I'd never sell this lens, and I'm sure to regret it, but the ongoing rationalization of my lens collection requires some hard choices.

Konica manufactured this beautiful lens in 2001 in a limited edition of 1000 pieces; this one is number 764.

The UC-Hex 35/2 LTM is a direct descendant of the classic W-Nikkor.C 3.5cm f1.8 LTM Lens, with a tweaked optical formula and first-rate modern multi-coated glass. The lens is very compact, and it's stunningly well-made. Black enamel paint over brass (though lighter-weight than most vintage brass-bodied lenses I've used). Aperture and tabbed focus rings are smooth and precise in operation -- better than many Leica lenses I've used -- and the lens is a pleasure to shoot with.

I used the lens only sparingly over the years, so it is in pristine condition -- glass, paint, mechanics, diaphragm blades -- except for some light marks on the chrome plating at the rear of the mounting flange, from use of a LTM-M adapter.

The lens came with front and rear caps, black-paint vented hood (a cool rotating/positionable design), velvet slipcase for the hood and leather lens pouch. All are present and in pristine condition, in the original box with instruction booklet.

I'm asking for $1795, which includes PayPal fees and shipping in the USA.

For an additional $100, I'll include: a Voigtlander 43mm metal screw-in hood with matching push-on cap (much more compact and convenient for real-world use than the original hood and cap); a Voigtlander 35mm LTM-M adapter (Type II); and a genuine Leica 14269 M-mount rear cap.

Administrivia

PayPal fees are included in my asking price, as is insured USPS Priority Mail shipping within the continental USA; for international destinations, shipping is additional at cost. Local pickup can also be arranged.

I have good feedback at Rangefinder Forum (same username) and on eBay (dogleg31), if you're interested.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions or make a reasonable offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FS: Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f/2 LTM Lens

It's a really sweet lens -- you know you want one....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh.....I want one all right. I just have to make decisions where the limited lens budget can go.

A truly sweet lens that can go on your screwmount bodies as well as your M's. I suppose there are people out there with other mirrorless systems...this lens can play with them too. Such great flexibility with LTM lenses. And, this is a stunning modern lens; it will seem like new life for the old IIIf.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a legendary lens that I want. I have the W-Nikkor 35 in LTM mount...amazing lens...would love to try this one, and from someone as reputable and knowelgable as you. THis will go fast...just wish it were me
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks - it is a really good lens. I used to have the W-Nikkor 35/1.8 LTM as well -- the UC-Hex is a little cooler in color palette (though still slightly warmish), and has much smoother bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, you really want to get this UC-Hex - it is soooo much nicer than the W-Nikkor 3.5cm/1.8, while both are hard to come by.

I did not see a complete UC-Hex package for sale often - the last time I saw one a few years ago, it became mine and this is one of the lenses I will NEVER SELL.
    Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Still available!

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard great things about this lens. I bought your W Nikkor 35 f/1.8, loved it then sold my MM, resulting in the sale of the Nikkor to Ashwin some weeks back.
    I'm gonna sit this one out before I impulsively pull the trigger and grab it.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Rich -- good to hear from you! I'm glad to hear my old W-Nikkor has found another good home... You should definitely get impulsive with the UC-Hex!

Post Thanks / Like

Still available...

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful UC-Hex still seeking loving home...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, the humanity!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

gahhhh....it's torture that this lens remains available! Great lens, great price, wish I had the $....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Threads that go bump in the night...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think people understand what we're dealing with here. I'm overflowing with 35mm right now, but I'm still tempted by this.

Honestly, this will compete with any Leitz offering in 35, *and* you can use it on a Barnack, or a Bessa R, or ...? But put it on an M (film or digital) and be prepared to be impressed.

No connection to the seller. I just know a nice lens from a mediocre one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excuse my ignorance. How is this on the A7 bodies?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Prince of Bokeh, perhaps?

Just wish it focused closer, but that can be done with digital.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, really smooth bokeh wide open (from what I understand, the 'cron v4 has good bokeh stopped down).

Post Thanks / Like

Bump!

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

Still available!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if its price or lack of familiarity with this lens. I'm just surprised its still here.

Perhaps some examples here or a link to examples from this lens? Maybe a link to Dante's review. I honestly don't know what the appropriate price for this lens would be, but it seems right to compare with summicron of similar stature (although the LTM summicron 35 is spendy -- collector value?).

Ken Rockwell suggested that the UC-Hex is inferior to its Leica counterpart, but he's not quite right. Ken compared to the current ASPH summicron, which is a bit unfair. Still, the UC-Hex compared admirably to the ASPH cron. Ken emphasized lower sharpness that wasn't overly dramatic. Distortion differences were valid, but again, not as great as we would be led to believe. Now, compared to a pre-ASPH cron, I think the UC-Hex is a great performer and I think that's a more fair comparison. Its worth noting the UC-Hex is substantially smaller and lighter than the ASPH cron. The lens should handle extremely well and its size is an advantage for most 35 shooters. Bokeh? Well, I can only suggest looking at the images from each. I don't see much difference between the UC-Hex and pre-ASPH cron. Others do.

I have too many 35s to justify getting another, but the UC Hex has always been on my "top tier" list. Why? I've seen the images. To me, the UC-Hex is much like a pre-ASPH Summicron in performance ( maybe?). And I do like the versatility of this lens (LTM or M), which is one reason why I also like the Summaron 35/2.8 with the detachable factory M-mount.

But please, someone buy this lens so I don't have to keep looking at it every time I visit FM. I truly can't afford another 35 -- and if I could get another, it needs to be a fast one -- 1.4 or better. Oh, and if you do buy this lens and you happen to live near me.....how about a lens swap day? I'd love to shoot with this UC-Hex...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
    I don't know if its price or lack of familiarity with this lens. I'm just surprised its still here.
    Might also be the strength of the USD vs. some currencies recently....

Quote Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
    I have too many 35s to justify getting another, but the UC Hex has always been on my "top tier" list. Why? I've seen the images. To me, the UC-Hex is much like a pre-ASPH Summicron in performance ( maybe?). And I do like the versatility of this lens (LTM or M), which is one reason why I also like the Summaron 35/2.8 with the detachable factory M-mount.
    Yes, I also have too many 35s, including that convertible Summaron -- really great lens if you don't need the extra stop of aperture, especially in B&W.

::Ari

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Post Thanks / Like

Sold!

Post Thanks / Like

Whew!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ari. Looking forward to receiving and shooting with it.

Ashwin - I hope it stacks up well against the W-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 I sold you, which I also bought from Ari.
    Cheers,
    Rich