The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Contax Zeiss Biogon G 21mm f/2.8 Leica M-mount

This spectacular optic just got even sexier with the Hawk's M-mount conversion. First, a bit about the optic, this is the smallest and lightest with the least amount of distortion (only 0.5% distortion) 21mm f/2.8 out there. The legendary Distagon 21 has 4 more times the amount of distortion while being 3 times heavier and bigger. Having shot with the original Contax 21, the new Zeiss 21 and this Biogon 21, I would say this one has the best rendering out of the three (color, tonality). And that's why I still have it here after selling the other two. So why should you get this lens instead of the ZM? Well, first, this one looks cooler while being smaller and lighter. It has less distortion as well. I believe they should have similar performance. From my test, at f/11, this lens is absolutely perfect without softness or mid-zone dip. It's sharp to the very mm of the corners.

About this mod: Hawk's Factory has the best helicoid M-mount out there. The distance scale is spot on and meticulously laser-engraved for long lasting function. Hawk's helicoid work is among the best you can ask for, especially for this kind of mod. Best of all, even though the original Contax G focusing direction is turning the "wrong" way, this mod actually made it the right way, just like a native M-mount lens. The lens was also coded (as Leica 21/2.8 ASPH) and rangefinder coupled. Tested at Tamarkin to show no vignette on Leica camera. More importantly, this modification is reversible!

I hate to part with this lens, but I need the fund for other priorities in life. This comes with the original paper box, leather box, documents and the original filter (as well as a Hoya Pro1 UV filter). It also comes with with the two original caps and old Contax mount and parts to reverse the process if you like. It also has a matching custom-made rear cap in silver color for the new M-mount. Finally, the Hawk's Factory box is also included. FYI, the current wait time for this Contax G to M is 1.5 years.

I am asking $1240 shipped and Paypal'd within CONUS. I ship abroad as well, but additional shipping cost and fee should be factored in.

V

Vivek

Current waiting period- I think there is a typo. Isn't it more like 15 years? :D

newghost

When you find out that this lens works so great on the Sony A7 and there's a Deotech adaptor for Contax G to Nex with AF function, you're going to regret parting with this!

Vivek: :D. A bit too much optimistic on my part.

Newghost: I have tried the DeoTech Mark 3 before and am using this lens on my A7s. I would say this converted lens beats the slow, noisy AF any day of the week. The focus feel is smooth and much more enjoyable now. As for how this lens performs, it's excellent on my A7s. The M-mount conversion actually makes this lens even more versatile with the close focus ability. But I have a change in plan now, so it has to go.