Site Sponsors

Thread: FS:Two 50/1.5 Sonnars: Jupiter-3 (1953), Zeiss Jena (1937); Contax RF-E Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

FS:Two 50/1.5 Sonnars: Jupiter-3 (1953), Zeiss Jena (1937); Contax RF-E Adapter

For sale are two Sonnars:
    1) A pre-war (1937, I think) Carl Zeiss Jena with, I've been told, some early natural mineral coating, but I'm not sure I can see it, and
    2) 1953 Jupiter-3 with, reputedly, original Zeiss parts (according to the lore) and coating (the red Cyrillic 'p').
    Both render similarly beautifully, equally sharp, but J-3 is obviously more contrastier - see the enclosed photo comparison at WO and f8. It's in the following (and obvious) order: Jena open, J-3 open, Jena stopped down, J-3 stopped down. I can't tell which I prefer - vive la difference.
    The adapter is one of those Frankenstein Soviet offerings based on Kiev mount. It was a rattling and imprecise affair which I fixed with A/B welding for a perfect and not rattling infinity on my NEX-5N. Works nicely and beats those $300+ options.
    Both Sonnars are in very nice condition, especially for the age. The aperture ring moves freer on the J-3 compared to the Jena. The optics are great on both. I'm selling because I'm switching to a system where I can't use'em.
    Jena - $245.00 (comes with both caps)
    J-3 - $225.00 (comes with front cap)
    RF-E - $70.00
    The prices include shipping and PP fees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jena-open.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	93662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j3-open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	350.1 KB 
ID:	93663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jena-stopped down.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	93664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j3-stopped down.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	93665  
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FS:Two 50/1.5 Sonnars: Jupiter-3 (1953), Zeiss Jena (1937); Contax RF-E Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by vdeakin View Post
    For sale are two Sonnars:
    1) A pre-war (1937, I think) Carl Zeiss Jena with, I've been told, some early natural mineral coating, but I'm not sure I can see it, and
    2) 1953 Jupiter-3 with, reputedly, original Zeiss parts (according to the lore) and coating (the red Cyrillic 'p').
    Both render similarly beautifully, equally sharp, but J-3 is obviously more contrastier - see the enclosed photo comparison at WO and f8. It's in the following (and obvious) order: Jena open, J-3 open, Jena stopped down, J-3 stopped down. I can't tell which I prefer - vive la difference.
    The adapter is one of those Frankenstein Soviet offerings based on Kiev mount. It was a rattling and imprecise affair which I fixed with A/B welding for a perfect and not rattling infinity on my NEX-5N. Works nicely and beats those $300+ options.
    Both Sonnars are in very nice condition, especially for the age. The aperture ring moves freer on the J-3 compared to the Jena. The optics are great on both. I'm selling because I'm switching to a system where I can't use'em.
    Jena - $245.00 (comes with both caps)
    J-3 - $225.00 (comes with front cap)
    RF-E - $70.00
    The prices include shipping and PP fees.
    bump

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FS:Two 50/1.5 Sonnars: Jupiter-3 (1953), Zeiss Jena (1937); Contax RF-E Adapter

How about 10% off for the brave soul who buys all three items? Any other offers/ideas? If there is no enthusiasm, the Sonnars go on Ebay.