The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leitz 50mm f/2.8 Elmar M Lens

kermaier

Up for sale is a really nice Elmar 50/2.8 in M-mount. This one is a relatively late example, with dual distance scales (feet/metres).

Asking $475, including PayPal and insured USPS shipping within continental USA (other destinations additional, at cost).

The lens is in excellent condition:
  • Glass is very clean, with just a bit of dust and a few wispy, hard-to-see cleaning marks.
  • Focus is smooth.
  • Aperture is smooth clicks solidly at all stops.
  • Diaphragm blades are clean and really pretty (15 blades with round aperture).
  • The barrel collapse smoothly and locks firmly in position.
  • Cosmetically, there are a few little scuffs and nicks to the finish from decades of use, but it's a very clean-looking sample, overall.

The lens comes with:
  • Caps (chrome Leica front and black plastic Leitz rear).
  • ITOOY hood (some cosmetic paint wear) with flat cap for storing reversed on the lens.
  • Voigtlander VL-2 case that nicely fits the lens in the lower compartment and the hood in the upper. (If you prefer, I can substitute a vintage Leitz hard leather case that fits only the lens.)
Please forgive the quirky picture quality here: I was playing around with my Nikkor-Q.C 50/3.5 on the M240, close-focused to 18 inches using live view -- probably shouldn't have hand-held. :)

elmar-50mm-f2.8-front.jpgelmar-50mm-f2.8-rear.jpgelmar-50mm-f2.8-case.jpg

This looks so nice!

In it's favor, it looks like it's not one of the late examples. Those were cheapies, redesigned to miss the pop-up meter of the M5. They were aluminum instead of brass, had no focusing knob, and had only 6 aperture blades instead of the 15 on this one. I believe this is instead the 'classic' tiny 50 in M mount. It should be nice and sharp at middle apertures, but not too contrasty – what Sean Reid might call an excellent 'sunny day lens.'

Kirk

Last edited:

kermaier

Thanks, Kirk! It is a really good lens, and you're right -- it has the 15-blade diaphragm.
Here are a couple of samples from this lens, taken on my Epson R-D1s:

Cheers,
Ari