The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Alpa 12TC - Insight / Discussion on Glass

DanielDuarte

I am committed to the CFV-50C back. For a brief period I considered selling the back and switching to an H system but looking at the numbers I just can't make that work in my budget. The files are strong and my 30x40 prints look nice.

I've posted my 503CW body for sale.

The 12TC will compliment this well. Does anyone have a system they're looking to move? I'd like to find one with a V mount back but I understand I may need to purchase one directly from a dealer.

In regards to glass I am entirely unsure what is the best course of action. I'm a large format guy so I'm familiar with the look / function of Copal shutters / lenses in all flavors (Rodenstock / SK / Fuji / Nikon) but thinking about them on a technical camera with a crop factor just confuses my brain (poor Math skills!)

A vast majority of my work is 50mm and 28mm (in 35mm terms).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am committed to the CFV-50C back. For a brief period I considered selling the back and switching to an H system but looking at the numbers I just can't make that work in my budget. The files are strong and my 30x40 prints look nice.

I've posted my 503CW body for sale.

The 12TC will compliment this well. Does anyone have a system they're looking to move? I'd like to find one with a V mount back but I understand I may need to purchase one directly from a dealer.

In regards to glass I am entirely unsure what is the best course of action. I'm a large format guy so I'm familiar with the look / function of Copal shutters / lenses in all flavors (Rodenstock / SK / Fuji / Nikon) but thinking about them on a technical camera with a crop factor just confuses my brain (poor Math skills!)

A vast majority of my work is 50mm and 28mm (in 35mm terms).
Daniel,

BH Photo has a TC with Rod 70 HR in used equipment ... they rate it a 9.

Conversion for your 33x44 back is .8 so a 55/56 in 35.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/hr-alpagon-5-670-mm-lb

However if budget is a concern the Actus DB is getting great reviews here and is much less expensive.

Bob

DanielDuarte

Daniel,

BH Photo has a TC with Rod 70 HR in used equipment ... they rate it a 9.

Conversion for your 33x44 back is .8 so a 55/56 in 35.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/hr-alpagon-5-670-mm-lb

However if budget is a concern the Actus DB is getting great reviews here and is much less expensive.

Bob
That price is in my wheelhouse. The Actus looks nice but two things concern me, you lose some of the portability of something as simple as the TC and secondly, I've read quite a few reports that the CFV50C doesn't handle movements all that well. I could be wrong though.

docmoore

True for both ... however jlm has shown some pics with shifts that look good on the CFV-50c so it
is probably lens specific and degree of shift related.

STC is a bit larger ... than the TC but allows for shifts ...

Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
also the cfv50-c has a 1.3 crop, so you don't stress the boundaries of the image circle so soon

DanielDuarte

also the cfv50-c has a 1.3 crop, so you don't stress the boundaries of the image circle so soon

Indeed, that is true. Grateful for the voices here, this is such a niche market / product it's hard to get your eyes on valid opinions and real world experiences.

docmoore

I went to purchase tonight, someone bought it... my luck really sucks lately
I am very sorry ... but watch the used stuff ... many times the sales fall through and it will reappear in a day or two.

And this allows you to configure your TC exactly the way you want it ... so maybe it was not meant to be.

Bob

DanielDuarte

The search continues, please PM me if anyone has something to offer or knows of a good deal.

I have a CFV-50C back so if it comes with a V adapter, even better.

Thanks.

jlm

Workshop Member
the only other thing you will need is a cable between the back and the PC-sync connection on the lens (not needed with the V bodies

vonalpen

There's an ALPA Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 100 mm f/4 on sale in the Luminous Landscape forum.
I own that lens and use it on the ALPA TC and the SWA with a Phasae One IQ180: It's a fantastic lens!
For focussing precisely you would really appreciate live view.
I understand you might be looking for wider lenses though.

Best

Jost

DanielDuarte

There's an ALPA Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 100 mm f/4 on sale in the Luminous Landscape forum.
I own that lens and use it on the ALPA TC and the SWA with a Phasae One IQ180: It's a fantastic lens!
For focussing precisely you would really appreciate live view.
I understand you might be looking for wider lenses though.

Best

Jost
I make a majority of my work between 28 and 50mm in 35mm terms.

I was thinking of a 35/40 and a 70. My budget doesn't really have much more room for those two focal lengths, brand new.

I've worked most of my short life with singular focal lengths.. When I shoot 8x10 I use a 300mm 90% of the time, 150 on 4x5. Now I understand it's a whole different beast because of bellows and the ability to close focus basically anything

Will just keep my eyes open.