The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Digital Back for RZ67

Jaysen

I'm looking to buy a used back to attach to my RZ67 Pro ii. With the research I've done thus far, I've come to the conclusion that a Leaf Aptus 75s or even possibly an Aptus 22 would fit my entry-level needs. If you have either of these backs you'd like to sell, any additional equipment such as the adapter plates, or even another back that you think would be a good fit then I'd be interested in hearing from you....within reason, of course. My budget is pretty low, so no IQ180 suggestions, please.

Thanks!

Jaysen

Still looking if anyone happens to have something they'd like to sell or another source for searching would also be appreciated. Thanks!

fotophil

I suggest that you start first looking for adapters to fit your RZ67. I believe Phase and Mamiya made adapters for both the Hassy V and Mamiya AFD mounts and there are probably others. The adapters are relatively rare and expensive so I suspect they will drive your purchase of a used digital back. Once setup, the resulting digital RZ67 System will be great in the studio but maybe not so great in the field. There are other medium format solutions to consider.

fotophil

The RZ67 used a rotating back so the film could be shot in either the landscape or portrait orientation. My Phase adapter plate for my RZ67 does not rotate so which is not a problem with the Hassy V mount digital backs because the back can attach to the adapter in either orientation. A non-rotating adapter would be a problem with a Mamiya AFD mount digital back which can only mount in the landscape orientation. The understanding of digital adapter plates for the RZ67 is not an easy subject so proceed with caution.

Jaysen

Thanks for the input, fotophil. You're definitely right, the adapter situation for the RZ can be confusing. I've done a bit of research on it and think I have a pretty good understanding, however. And, the reason I'm looking at the RZ system is because I already own and shoot with it regularly. Ideally, I'll eventually add a 645 body to the kit, but for now I'm just really keen on attaching a back to that RZ.

I actually have found a source for the HX705 adapter, which I understand will still allow the back to rotate, though they do seem rather scarce.

segedi

I have the 50 ULD, 110/2.8, 180 W-N (didn't know i had the better version!), and 350 APO along with an RZ Pro II. The choice was to either sell the lot or get a digital back. Because I really enjoy using the camera body and the lenses are great, I opted for the latter.

Picked up a Phase One IQ140 to pair with my RZ67 Pro II, ended up getting a Pro II D as well (I'm lazy and snag cables on everything...), and the HX701 adapter. It's not yet in my possession, but from everything that I read (Mamiya's lack of info was troublesome) the HX701 and IQ backs allow for vertical and horizontal orientation. But, the back must manually be removed, rotated, and replaced. It's not as nifty as with the film backs.

The one thing I don't have is a screen or mask with the 44x33 area. I plan to use a backup screen and mark it with a thin sharpie pen.

Though I bought the back at a reasonable price (and from this forum!), I also got a DF body and 80mm lens, so even more possibilities are there.

Jaysen

Segedi, thanks for the encouragement! I’m going the same route as you because I simply enjoy using that system. Still need to pick up a 50 ULD, however.

My impression is that the back is supposed to rotate just as the film backs do. And not just on the RZ Pro IID. I’m almost certain I saw a comment made by Yair in one of these threads about getting a longer lens to back cable to allow that rotating. Anyway, definitely something worth finding out.