The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P21+ on a technical camera?

Ricardo

Hello!

A straight clear question:

I am considering using the P21+ on a technical camera, a Technikardan with the plate adapter for the digital back and a Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 35mm.
Due to the microlenses on the P21+, is it really bad to use this back on a technical camera or is it usable with less than 10mm shift? I've read opinions going both ways. It'd be of a great value to hear the experienced opinion of anyone who's ever used this back.

Thank you very much for your help!
Ricardo

Last edited:

MichaelS

I think you posted this in the wrong area of the Forum but my understanding is that the P21 can be used with slight shifts but the results will be unpredictable.

I found this on Capture Integration

"The Phase One P30+ and Phase One P21+ digital backs use an array of microlenses in front of the sensor, one microlens per pixel. This creates cleaner images at higher ISOs. However, when using movements on a view camera (or technical camera) with a lens wider than 45mm, the light from the lens strikes the microlenses at a strong angle, and creates undesirable effects. Architectural shooters and interior shooters who use wide angle lenses in conjunction with tilts and shifts should not select a P30+ or P21+."

Micheal
Hello!

A straight clear question:

I am considering using the P21+ on a technical camera, a Technikardan with the plate adapter for the digital back and a Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 35mm.
Due to the microlenses on the P21+, is it really bad to use this back on a technical camera or is it usable with less than 10mm shift? I've read opinions going both ways. It'd be of a great value to hear the experienced opinion of anyone who's ever used this back.

Thank you very much for your help!
Ricardo