Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One P21+ on a technical camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One P21+ on a technical camera?

Hello!

A straight clear question:

I am considering using the P21+ on a technical camera, a Technikardan with the plate adapter for the digital back and a Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 35mm.
    Due to the microlenses on the P21+, is it really bad to use this back on a technical camera or is it usable with less than 10mm shift? I've read opinions going both ways. It'd be of a great value to hear the experienced opinion of anyone who's ever used this back.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Ricardo
    Last edited by Ricardo; 24th August 2016 at 05:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One P21+ on a technical camera?

I think you posted this in the wrong area of the Forum but my understanding is that the P21 can be used with slight shifts but the results will be unpredictable.

I found this on Capture Integration

"The Phase One P30+ and Phase One P21+ digital backs use an array of microlenses in front of the sensor, one microlens per pixel. This creates cleaner images at higher ISOs. However, when using movements on a view camera (or technical camera) with a lens wider than 45mm, the light from the lens strikes the microlenses at a strong angle, and creates undesirable effects. Architectural shooters and interior shooters who use wide angle lenses in conjunction with tilts and shifts should not select a P30+ or P21+."

Micheal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hello!

A straight clear question:

I am considering using the P21+ on a technical camera, a Technikardan with the plate adapter for the digital back and a Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 35mm.
    Due to the microlenses on the P21+, is it really bad to use this back on a technical camera or is it usable with less than 10mm shift? I've read opinions going both ways. It'd be of a great value to hear the experienced opinion of anyone who's ever used this back.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Ricardo