The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: 35-70 Vario Elmar for Leica R - German

atanabe

Up for sale is a 35 - 70 Vario Elmar which was made in Germany. There were several examples of this design, the first ones were made in Japan and the filter ring revolved making the use of polarizing filters very frustrating. The production of this lens was moved back to Germany with the non rotating filter ring. This is the last version prior to a new design and production in Japan. It is in mint condition, both focus and zoom smooth. No marks on the barrel of the lens, glass surfaces clean and free of cleaning marks. The aperture blades are clean and no dust or fungus on the internal surfaces. Comes with front and rear lens caps, hood is built in.

$550 including Paypal and shipping to the CONUS

Last edited:

bensonga

This looks beautiful! Ok, so I might be in the market for a second Leica R lens (since the EOS 1V I bought from Marc is coming with a Leica R to EOS adapter...gotta put it to good use). Can anyone comment on optical or other differences between this 35-70 f3.5 (3 CAM?) and the newer 35-70 f4 ROM lens?

Gary
Alaska

atanabe

Gary,
The last version of the 35-70 f4 was made in Japan, I think by Sigma, and was (is) a good design. I owned it and shot on my R7 and R8 as well as Canon D60 and 10D with the 35-70 f4 and it was sharp and a good performer. The 35-70 f4 ROM was a bargain when it hit the market, new they were $900 and with it's cousin the 28-70 3.5-4 were made to be the "intro" lens. The Vario Elmar was about $1800 by comparison, the German labor was much more than the production costs in Japan. All things being equal (price) the build quality is better on the Vario Elmar, focus and zoom are smoother.

Yes, this is a 3 cam lens.

Hope this gives you more to go on. I think Erwin Puts has some info as well.

Regards,
Al

robmac

Just as an FYI it was Kyocera (I had to check a month ago, so don't feel bad) that manufactured the 35-70/4 and 80-200/4 for Leica.

Nice looking lens - and product shots BTW.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
There are two versions of Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/3,5. The first version has E60 filter size and the second version E67. The lens was a Minolta design and the second version was made in Germany.

The Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 ROM was a Leica Solms design, manufactured by Kyocera in Japan. I have this lens. Other than its limited range, I like it very much. Extremely sharp.

BTW, the Vairo-Elmar-R 28-70/3.5-4.5 is a Sigma design and manufactured by Sigma in Japan. But later ROM version of the lens is made by Kyocera in Japan.

Kind regards,

fotografz

I can attest to the performance of the lens model offered for sale. It's a great walk around lens, and delivers nice character, Leica like color and decent contrast ... at least the 2 copies I had over the years did.

I used this lens on a R6.2. The front element stays in place allowing use of Polarizers. The size of the lens promotes taking it with you. The build quality is old time Rock 'n Roll.

Very nice product shots ... but I swear, next Christmas I'm sending all forum members a can of Dust Off ... :ROTFL: