The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Noctilux f1 E58

The E58 is the first of the f1 Noctiluxes, designed by Walter Mandler. It offers the classic rendering of a Mandler lens with emphasis more on tonality than on contrast. I have both the f1 and f0.95 but don't need both, and for quite a while I've had trouble deciding which to sell. The f1 vignettes more, but produces less chromatic aberration. Hard choice.

I think its condition could be rated 9: optically top-notch but cosmetically showing small signs of use, with no dings/scratches. I looked up the prices asked on eBay, and they seem to range from $4999 without hood to $5895 with the original hood. This one has an aftermarket hood, not the original #12519. So I'll ask $4999, but am open to a reasonable offer. You pay Paypal, I'll pay shipping (CONUS only). Not interested in trading.

This is the lens in its box with aftermarket hood. The box, however, has a higher serial number than on the lens. This is how it came – no plastic bubble or leather pouch.

View attachment 126606

From the front: I looked through the lens with a flashlight and saw only a little dust – less than one might expect in a lens of this vintage. No haze and no oil on the aperture blades.

View attachment 126607

Here's the back view – in original condition with no signs of wear on mount – and not subsequently coded.

View attachment 126608

Here are three side views, rotating the lens 1/3 each time. It shows a bit of wear on the focusing ring.

View attachment 126609
View attachment 126610
View attachment 126611

The only important sign of wear appears on the lens cap. A previous owner might have had the habit of putting the cap in his pocket with his keys when he was shooting, so it shows some scuffs.

The previous owner and I regularly used a B+W filter over the lens. You have to choose, however, between using either the lens hood or a filter. If you use both together you get a tiny corner cut-off.

Thanks for looking – and let me know if interested,

Kirk T.

Last edited:
Deposit received, so it's sold. But I've finished the project I was working on and can sell my f0.95 Noctilux too. Please contact me if interested and I'll hurry up to do something about it!

Kirk