Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB: MAC PRO DESKTOP

Post Thanks / Like

WTB: MAC PRO DESKTOP

Okay, testing the waters here. Looking to upgrade my trusty old Powermac 2.0 to a 4 or 8 core 2.66 or 2.8 Mac Pro. Hard drives and RAM not as important to me as shape and Applecare left (or ability to add Applecare). Prefer an 8 core but will consider 4 if price and quality are right.

Anyone?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: WTB: MAC PRO DESKTOP

I have just what you need but reluctant to sell it. I have a nice laptop that is way above the power curve of your power mac. 6gb of ram and makes CS4 really fly well. You can hook it up to a 30 inch display with laptop cover closed and never know your running a laptop
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy,

I guess I haven't even considered a Macbook Pro. Which model(s) would you suggest? I guess I didn't consider them because I have an esata card in my desktop but I guess I can get an external card for a laptop.

Take care,

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely there is a e-sata express 34 that is REALLY good . It's not cheap 260 dollars but it flies. Seriously the one I am selling with the 6gbs of ram does a excellent job in CS4. Just set up the e-sata drive you can do two of them and use a 20gb partition for scratch. I will find the express card for you but my laptop is so darn cheap this maybe a great way to go. It has in it a Seagate 16mb cache 200gb 7200 drive in it which is fast. Reason I am selling it is to pick up a small and I mean small amount of processing speed on the road. This unit you can hook up a 30 inch display close the cover add a keyboard , mouse and your e-sata stuff and your off. This has Firewire 800 and 400 which the new units do not have Firewire 400. Stupid move on Apples part but for 1300 dollars you be way ahead of your power mac.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the card you want. DigiLloyd highly recommends this for the MacPro's

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonne.../SATAIIPROE34/

Post Thanks / Like

No need anymore. Found a 2008 8-core brand new at a good price (thank you Microsoft/Paypal for your cashback program). Hopefully this will last me a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news.