The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fs noctilux 1.0 price reduced, 5k

I have a superb Canadian Nocti, F 1.0 for sale. It was the last version before the built in hood. It comes with hood, and it was hand coded. No box or papers came with it. I bought it here from "Rob" a Canadian, about 5 years ago and have used it 2 or 3 times. I've owned 3 Noctiluxes, all 1.0, the other 2 were the last version with built in hood. This is the by far the best of the 3. The focus ring is very fast and smooth (for this lens) and images are absolutely lovely. It's by far the easiest to focus of the 3 I had. It's in excellent condition. I'm looking for fast sale. I think $5000 net to me is a steal. I'm in Massachusetts, and I would MUCH prefer selling it in person. I'll get pictures up soon. I am looking to sell by June 1 to apply funds to a Steinway, so trades unless it's an amazing Steinway Grand Piano! (Yes I'd add cash) ;>) Thanks.....Peter

I want to thank all who did not contact me and especially those that did but did not purchase! I've come to my senses about the value of this lens, at least to me and likely my son down the road. It is no longer for sale.

Wise decision! I’ve owned both this and the newer f0.95, and prefer the older one. F1.0 = more vignetting, less CA, and IMO more ‘magic.’

Kirk

Wise decision! I’ve owned both this and the newer f0.95, and prefer the older one. F1.0 = more vignetting, less CA, and IMO more ‘magic.’

Kirk
Thanks Kirk. I've never shot the 0.95 but I also love the old school look of the 1.0, especially on my MM1. Problem is I'm playing piano 4 hours/day leaving little time to shoot, but it's a good problem to have. best....Peter

Re: Fs noctilux 1.0 price reduced, 4,600

Having gone all summer without taking any pictures I have decided I really won't be using this wonderful lens, and maybe not any of my kit. I want to sell this quickly and easily, thus the excellent price. Please note the following
1. As when I bought it here, no original box or papers.
2. It was hand coded by the prior owner using a marker.
3. The price is firm, please do not offer less
4. You pay shipping and PayPal fee if used. I much prefer PayPal and sending funds as a gift incurs no fee, otherwise you pay the fee.
5.Purchase only, no trades.
6. As said above, this is a wonderful sample with especially easy focus ring turning as compared to other ones I shot before.
7. US sales only
8. Pictures of lens and hood here. Zenfolio | Peter Halperin | Noctilux

Thanks.....Peter

nanthor

So did you get the Steinway? I was going to offer my 6'3" Estonia grand (partial, of course) but the shipping would have been costly. Bob in Michigan.

So did you get the Steinway? I was going to offer my 6'3" Estonia grand (partial, of course) but the shipping would have been costly. Bob in Michigan.
Yes I did Bob. I live between two places, I already had a newer "B" in one and needed a serious piano in the other. It's a lovely 1919 "O" beautifully refurbished. Never played an Estonia but understand its a great piano, enjoy!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Who rebuilt your 1919 O? That model can have a really beautiful sound.

Hmmm... wife... piano... difficult.

VINCET

I ended up selling many of my photo gear because I got my daughter a Steinway model B a couple of years ago. It was a major investment but the sound of the Steinway is so much richer than the Yamaha upright it replaced. According to my daughter's piano teacher, she improved quite a bit since we got the Steinway. I am not sure if I am sold on that. Almost like telling me that my photographic skills improved because I got a Leica. But this year, my daughter ended up winning first place in Division 1 of the Steinway Piano Competition in Boston. The winners recital was held in Boston Symphony Hall and for a 9 year old, it was a tremendous experience to play at the stage of such a historic hall.

I still am holding on to my Noctilux f1.0 ver 4 however. As much as I love the f0.95, the f1.0 to me has more character. The f1.0 is also a little lighter.

BTW, for those who love Steinway and Leica, if you are in the Boston area, they are both located in the same building, the Boston Park Plaza hotel. One on each side of the building.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Her teacher isn't wrong (and congratulations on her competition win!) You improve at the piano by listening, just as you improve as a photographer by seeing. The more feedback you get from your instrument, the quicker your body learns to control the sound. Yamaha uprights are great pianos - maybe the best uprights - but they don't have the range of sound that a grand has, let alone a Steinway B. (I have had both).

Matt