The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Contax 645 IQ180/280 digital back

nikesteam

Have been searching for a few months now. Is anyone looking to get rid of their c mount Phase One IQ180, or know of a place where I can find one?

Thank you!

drevil

Staff member
sold mine a year ago or so, those are pretty rare!

best solution might be, get one with a different mount and have it converted by phase to C mount.
the switch will be free if it has value added warranty and the free switch hasn't been used yet.
otherwise it might be around 1000€$ ?

nonetheless, if you find one, you wont be disappointed, the c645 lenses shine on this back and are up to handle the resolution, i had a shooting in a studio once with my 80F2 and the details are simply amazing at F4 and higher. more details than you sometimes wish for actually :clap:

good luck

nikesteam

I didn’t know that they were still offering that seevice. I’ve just emailed them now. I’d still prefer to just find and buy an original, but I guess that will be my plan B.

nikesteam

sold mine a year ago or so, those are pretty rare!

best solution might be, get one with a different mount and have it converted by phase to C mount.
the switch will be free if it has value added warranty and the free switch hasn't been used yet.
otherwise it might be around 1000€$ ?

nonetheless, if you find one, you wont be disappointed, the c645 lenses shine on this back and are up to handle the resolution, i had a shooting in a studio once with my 80F2 and the details are simply amazing at F4 and higher. more details than you sometimes wish for actually :clap:

good luck
So, I’ve been doing a little digging. The service for changing mounts is tedious, expensive, and you never know when you’ll get the camera back. They basically just waituntil someone upgrades from a specific mount, and ‘harvest’the parts for mount changes, etc.

I’m pretty much set on using the Contax 645 though, so I think I will keep fishing. If anything crosses your wires, please let me know.

LonnaTucker

So, I’ve been doing a little digging. The service for changing mounts is tedious, expensive, and you never know when you’ll get the camera back. They basically just waituntil someone upgrades from a specific mount, and ‘harvest’the parts for mount changes, etc.

I’m pretty much set on using the Contax 645 though, so I think I will keep fishing. If anything crosses your wires, please let me know.
I have an Aptus Contax mount DB for sale with 2 Contax 645 bodies and almost all the Contax 645 lenses. DM me if you have any interest.

drevil

Staff member

hmm when i bought the back from pemihan, it didnt seem like a hassle, the change was done in less than a week i think, i dont think much needs to be change, its just the mount frame and maybe firmware update so the back knows how to behave.

nikesteam

Hi Alan,

Mine is Aptus 65. I believe that Capture Integration had bought the remaining Contax mount digital backs a few years ago. It might be worth a try to see what is left in their inventory.
Oh, darn! If it were the 80mp version I would have taken you up on that offer. I may be interested in one of the bodies though. Do you happen to have the waist-level fonder with you rkit? Please PM me a few more details.

DougDolde

I don't blame you for wanting to use the Contax 645. So much simpler than the XF and the lenses are cheap
compared to good Phase One lenses

drevil

Staff member
exactly doug, as simple as it gets!
will keep mine as well and definitely the 80F2, other lenses might go some day
and if a wonder happens and a P25+ comes along i wont hesitate to grab it

nikesteam

I don't blame you for wanting to use the Contax 645. So much simpler than the XF and the lenses are cheap
compared to good Phase One lenses
Hey Doug. I know very little about Phase One's camera offerings. Are there film backs for them? I need a hybrid system, and as drevil said the Contax with the 80f2 is such a beautiful combination on film. Just recently getting into more studio work, so I would love to use the digital back in that environment, and use film on it for my personal work.

tcdeveau

Hey Doug. I know very little about Phase One's camera offerings. Are there film backs for them? I need a hybrid system, and as drevil said the Contax with the 80f2 is such a beautiful combination on film. Just recently getting into more studio work, so I would love to use the digital back in that environment, and use film on it for my personal work.
AFAIK no, there are not film backs available for the phase one bodies (AF, DF, DF+, XF, etc), although one of the dealers here has modified the Contax 80 f/2 to be used on a P1-Mount body for digital use.

If you want a hybrid digital/film system, I think your options are Contax, Hasselblad V system, Hasselblad H system....and maybe Rollie Hy6? There’s also tech cams too.

Generally Hasselblad H-mount and P1 Mount backs (DF and XF) are common to find on the second hand market, but backs with other mounts are harder to come by.

nikesteam

Yeah, like once a year I will see a Contax IQ1 80, and I haven't had the funds to purchase one until now. I will give it until the end of this year to see if one pops up. If not, I think I may have to settle for the H-mount version and get a Hassleblad body instead. Let me know if you find anything!

nikesteam

Hey drevil, do you mind if I PM you to ask you about that mount change process and where you had it done? I've found a decently priced IQ180 back for a different mount, and I'm thinking I may just go ahead and buy that one and pay to get the mount changed.

drevil

Staff member
no need to pm me, i haven't done the switch by myself, it was done by pemihan, he had an iq180 i wanted to buy and he still had a free swap for that. so check if the back you gonna buy still has value added warranty and if the one free swap is still available.

he sent it in to phase, luckily for him he doesn't live to far away from the P1 HQ, so it was done quickly.

before, so has it the rumors, phase didn't actually swapped the mount of the back but gave you a new/or used back in the mount that you want. in my case it seems they actually physically switched the mount. as we know. contax mount backs are pretty rare.

if you have anymore questions, just fire away

DougDolde

Obviously dropping Contax 645 mounts by Phase One was a clear attempt to force people to buy their XF and exorbitant lenses.